Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Tingling Feeling In My Hands And Feet (Page 1)

For the last month I have been feeling a tingling feeling in my hands and feet . I get it at any time of the day . While working or just sitiing . I have been a dieabetic for about 5 to 7 years of my life . I'm 37 years old I take diffrent pill for my sugar. Not much of the diet type. I have a doctors appointment on monday . I hope he can find the problem . My question is what could be causing the problem ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Bobby1234567890
|

replied November 26th, 2003
Do you think it could be nerve damage? Do you monitor your blood sugar daily? I have learned that it is not high blood sugar or low blood sugar, but the average- that may cause damage to your nerve endings. Do you maintain a near normal level?
|

replied November 28th, 2003
Diet Important
You need to watch your diet and limit the amount of carbohydrates you eat. That is sugar foods and starch type foods. You need to exercise and check your blood sugar.
|

replied May 20th, 2005
Tingling Feet And Hands
I have just started experiencing this phenomenon. Does this go away if you keep you sugar under control?
|

replied May 28th, 2005
Tingling Reply
The numbness and tingling may be due to a term called neuropathy. It is a common problem in people living with diabetes. Often times, the symptoms can be sudden in onset, and you may feel buring or a stabbing pain. However, more often then not the feeling is more like a loss of sensation or a tingling feeling. It usually occurs in the extremities because neuropathy affects the peripheral nerves. The best way to keep it under control it to check your glucose level several times a day and keep control of your diet because neuropathy is likely to occur when your in a hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic state.

Sharon (student nurse)
|

replied June 3rd, 2005
Re: Tingling Reply
sharons wrote:
the numbness and tingling may be due to a term called neuropathy. It is a common problem in people living with diabetes. Often times, the symptoms can be sudden in onset, and you may feel buring or a stabbing pain. However, more often then not the feeling is more like a loss of sensation or a tingling feeling. It usually occurs in the extremities because neuropathy affects the peripheral nerves. The best way to keep it under control it to check your glucose level several times a day and keep control of your diet because neuropathy is likely to occur when your in a hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic state.

Sharon (student nurse)

sharon is correct. What you are feeling is the beginning of diabetic neuropathy, a fairly common effect of diabetes. It's mostly felt in the feet and can be very mild or extremely painful. Fortunately you can do soem things to help prevent or slow it down. Main thing is to control your blood sugars. You have to change the way you eat. Trust me, I have learned that lesson the hard way. Next, go to the vitamin store right now and get an anti-oxidant called alpha lipoic acid and also get the methyl version of vitamin b12. The people in the store will know what you mean when you say methyl b12. Ala is prescribed in germany to treat neuropathy.

I was starting to have stabbing pains, cramps, etc. That has stopped and I am now trying to achieve regenration of the damaged nerves, but that is a long process. Take my advice, jump on this now and you will be much better off.
|

replied June 11th, 2005
I think you go for a thorough chekup with your doctor.
Your symptoms may well be due to negligible reasons but at the same time it may well be a serious problem too. Hence it would be best to see your doctor to be sure.
|

replied September 3rd, 2006
Tingling Sensation In Feet
I too have had this sensation of tingling, though only in my left foot. I constantly have the urge to move it, as this diminish the tingling sensation momentarily. I only feel it when I am sitting/lying down. What else could this be, because I do not have diabetes.
|

replied September 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Tingling In Feet
Hi there! I wanted to add to this conversation. I am a 34 yr old female with type 2 diabetes. I was just diagnosed about 1 1/2 years ago btw. Last year sometime I started to get severe pin and needle sensations in both of my feet and legs when I was lying down to go to sleep, it became quite severe very quickly! I was taking darvocet for back pain and even that did not help! I ended up going to see my doctor for this and she diagnosed me with having severe neuropathy! I am currently taking high levels of neurontin. I am suppose to take it throughout the day, but it makes me tired so I only take it when I get home from work. It helps wonders though!!! Also, I take 2 different meds for my diabetes. (glipizide and metformin) both of these I take twice a day, but many pills! My doc just did a blood test on me to check how my last 3 months have been and it came back high again, even on all the diabetic pills I take! She now wants to discuss insulin :( I wish you all the best of luck with your symptoms and will pray that it is not neuropathy and if it is, that is isnt as bad as mine! Take care. Jeannine
|

replied May 30th, 2008
Neuropathy and diabetes
Several years ago I was diagnosed with poli neuropathy. This has gotten gradually more painfu as the years have gone by. Just recently I licked my lips and felt like I was licking pure salt, very srong. My nose started running and that was really salty too. Is this a sympton of diabets?
|

replied August 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I have those symptoms now too. Dr. thinks neuropathy.
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
tingling sensation during eating
what is the connection with a swollen neck gland and the tingling sensation during eating. the swollen gland becomes even larger while i eat then i get all watery and red in my eyes with blurred vision and then tingling sensation over my extremities. I have diabetes and hypertension
|

replied May 1st, 2009
could it RLS??
hey i also get these symptoms although not so much the tingling sensations, i am also a type 1 diabetic diagnosed 14 years ago and have always been very poorly controlled. whenever i am laying down or just sitting up i get the biggest urge to move my legs such a strange feeling and also get sharp stabbing pains in my toes these feelings will not go away for hours sometimes i usually have to et up and walk about to let these feelings pass. ive recently read an article about neropathy it sounds as tho this could be but also about RLS restless leg syndrome. both of which are highly common in diabetics my doctor still hasnt diagnosed either as every time i go to see him he's just like ah ok then whatever type of thing. if my doctor oversees this problem any ideas as to what to do for myself?
thank you
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2009
Me too
I have also been experiencing tingling in my hands and feet. I started feeling dizzy and tired a lot around Christmas and have been struggling with finding out what is making me feel bad since then. My hands are kind of numb and tingly every morning when I wake up and at random points in the day my feet tingle like pins and needles. My urine has also began to smell so I am considering diabetes as the cause. I am so ready to end this and find a solution!
|

replied September 22nd, 2012
Hi, i'm 16 years old and your reply scared me. I also experience the things you've been going through and i've been having it for a year now. I was scared to tell anyone about it because I thought it was just one of those phases teenagers go through. Now that i've thought about it, I'm going to act on it right away... wish me luck! Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I would like to know wheather the tingling sensation in only on all the fingers or only on a certain finger because what I am having right now is only on my left index finger next to my thumb.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Thanks for the information. I have been trying to find out about this tingling in my hands and feet and a feeling of heaviness and puffiness in my hands for perhaps a year now and the medical profession have not been much help. I get good days and bad days, the bad days can follow driving long distances or do-it-yourself jobs around the home. Scotth and Sharons seem to have answered more than the professionals. I'll certainly try alpha lipoic acid and methyl vitamin b12.
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Hart74...when I had a pinched nerve in my neck it caused the tip of my little finger on my right hand to tingle and feel numb. The doctor said it was "C4" that was pinched, I think the 4th cervical vertebra nerve. In any case you'll need to have the doc check you over.
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
Tingling Fingers or Feet {Both)
The tingling in your hands and feet can also be due to low hypo thyroid.
some of the symptoms are Tingling of hands and feet. Weight gain, thinning of hair,being cold all of the time when others are not. I welcome you to look it up..anyhow i finally got my answer by going to the DR.
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
I too suffer from this symptoms.I've tried all the pills even Lyrica which helps the most. I am in constant pain and mine is permanent nerve damage.I'm so tired of taking pills but I've got to live with it.I'm going to a deiabetic class see if I can comtrol my sugar leveland my neourapathy.I am going to try this medicine from Germany It is good info.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Cystic Fibrosis-related diabetes
I have just been diagnosed with type 3 diabetes (Cystic Fibrosis-related diabetes) about 2 weeks ago. {It's closest to type 1.}Only since I started the insulin a week ago did I start to get tingling in my hands about an hour before I wake up. I test my sugars and hour later when I get up and they are normal - 5.4! Any ideas?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....