Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I Think I Am Starting to Become Anorexic/bulimic (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi, my name is emily and I am a 17 year old. Over the past year or so, I have been debating and fighting against becoming anorexic. It's been off and on for me. It kinda sucks. But, are you considered anorexic if you don't eat for like 6 days and then eat the next, and then don't eat for another 4-5 days? Cause that's kinda like me. Then, after eating, I feel so aweful, and the thought of "your gonna gain lots of weight for eating that" goes through my mind, so I go and make myself throw up. I am so used to it now, it's like an automatic reaction. The reason I started is not cause I think I am fat, or overweight, cause I am not, I play sports and all. But, because my parents have been arguing for a long time! I wish they would get divorced, but my dad says "he can't afford it." which I believe he would be able to. It wouldn't be that hard. But, I have been to my school counselor, which she has been a great help to me, but I am beginning to not even throw up, but not eat at all. How long does it take before you are fully anorexic, and don't eat anything?? Another reason now I feel like going, is because my grandmother is in the hospital, and I live so far away from her, that I never get to see her, so I feel aweful that I am not there rigth at this instant by her side, holding her hang, visiting with her, before she passes away. I don't know, I feel aweful, and I play sports, so it's not the greatest thing if I decide to go anorexic is it? I just feel it's the only way out. So, if you all would, please help me, and give me advice, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks! :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AnaAlwaysWins
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Hey babe, I hope everything pans out for you. I think you do have an eating disorder, and an eating disorder is so much more than food is about emotions and feelings that your life is out of controll, which it sounds like you might be experiencing. A doc would be properly able to diagnose you. But I would like to clear up that an eating disorder isn't a decision. No way, now how so if you think you do have some controll over stopping then please do, otherwise it will controll you. Hope its all gonna be ok, i've been struggling with an ed for 3 years, i'm 19 so I dont want you to end up as screwed as I am. Keep safe hun, xoxo
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Experienced User
You Can Be Anorexic Even If You Eat
Some anorexics fast for long periods of time, but usually not permanently. Some anorexics do eat every day, maybe even three meals, but are not eating enough to maintain a healthy weight.
I don't know how heavy you are/were so you might not be underweight yet, but not eating for several days is not good for anyone. You might want to see a doctor. Even if you have not done this for long, fasting often, especially if you are throwing up too, can cause serious health problems. If you cannot resume regular eating, you may need treatment even if you don't have any health problems yet.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Damsel is right, having an eating disorder is not a decision you make, I never knew I was anorexic when I lost weight, I just thought this was what I looked like and if it took eating very little then that didn't bother me.
Eating disorders are so so complex and food is only the symtom of underlining issues. It does seem that you may have somethings you need to work on but you are young and have your whole life ahead of you. It would be so great if you could deal with all the stuff you need to deal with now because you will be free of guilt and all the other destructive feelings you have.
Anorexia, bulimia, over eating, they are all the same distress and so where I go to therapy we do not call it eating disorder, we call it eating distress. Eating distress represents the thoughts and feelings behind the behaviour, while eating disorder is just labelling the behaviours you use in order to deal with your emotional distress.
You are unable to " fix" your parents marraige although I know it must be difficult to be in a house which is so unhappy, it is so important that you look after yourself and do whats best for you and not for ayone else.
I know that your gran would not want you to become ill in order to be with her while she is in hosiptal, just the fact that you care so much for her and want to help her is enough.
You seem like such a caring person, who is very sensitive and gentle, they are great trates to have but you have to use them for your own good as well.
Your parents are going through a though time and I know you are affected by that but you are not controlled by what your parents are going through. You are your own person and you deserve to be free of all the things you are feeling which lead you to want to not eat, you are so much more then that.
I have had an ed for 5 years now and I have suffered enough, I do not want anyone to suffer needlessly because in the end you are going to have to deal with how you feel and think sooner or later, I just hope that you are one of the lucky one's who has not asked for help too late.
When you suffer from ed, weight doesn't become the only thing you want, you can become very depressed and its not good at all believe me. I also want to mention the medical side to it, there can be so many medical complactions that you might not be able to do sports anymore, your organs could be badly affected, there are just so many things that could happen and death is one of them.
This is not something to mess around with, if you can ask your parents to let you see a therapist, I think it could really help you.
You do deserve to be happy, to be free and to enjoy life and who you are.
I hope you are doing well and if you ever have any questions or just want to talk, i'm here.

Take care!
|

replied July 28th, 2005
I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, and yea hopefully I don't ask for help "too late". I am just afraid of what people would think of me, when or if I were to ever see someone. My counselor at school told me of a person that is nearby that would greatly help, and I could go and visit her often, but my parents don't even know how I feel (though I try to let them know), so I don't know what to do. Though, I ate a sandwich today, and kept it down :) so, I am proud of myself for that. It's just weird, cause now I feel and I tell myself, "you can't eat for like 5 days now" cause you'll gain too much weight. That's just me. I don't understand. But, I am not overweight, so people tell me. I am 5'11" almost 6', and I weigh 129, I used to weigh 136, so just recently, over the past few months, of being out of school I have lost that much. It's not the greatest, but now that I ate a little bit, I feel I have gained it all back! I guess, I will just have to take your all's advice, and possibly get some help before it gets too late. Before I totally destroy my body, and am not able to play sports anymore. Thanks a lot, and I will be around to talk, so. Just keep up the messages:)..I greatly appreciate it!
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Help
Hi guys I am new here and I found the site when I was searching for some help and I have always battled my weight I always been chunky and for the past 5 months I been on a diet and I got to a point that nothing happens any more I loose nothing even with exercising and diets and diet pills ...So for the past week or so I been throwing every thing I eat up I think every thing is making me fatter even fruits and healthy things I don't know if I am becoming bulimic or not but I have been getting a lot of headaches and feeling weak and something feels different some times I think I am crazy I step on the scale about 5 times a day and I no longer know what to do should I tell some one what I been doing or not I think if I tell my mother she will think I am acting up again and just want some attention .. I need help I cant stop thinking about this ...Thanks lety
|

replied May 14th, 2011
If you really want to loose weight then give up the diets, seriously, give them up. Get yourself a pair dumbbells and start working out with them, I do 40 mins, 3 times a week and have lost 22 inches since Feb, This is with eating whatever I want, when ever I want, I drink beer and get takeouts and am still losing inches. The idea of working out like this only becomes effective when your body has enough protein to rebuild your muscles after you work out. Without the protein (food) you will take longer to recover and will not lose weight as fast...Im 23 and have been curvy (size 12-14) all my life. I have tried every diet pill (they dont work) every fad diet (they dont work) and every lame exercise program (some of them work) but this is the fastest, healthiest and easiest way - plus the results have been awesome. Im getting smaller all over, Im stronger, I have more energy and I cant wait for my workouts.
Important things to remember is that if your not eating you will not lose fat...your body goes into starvation mode and saves EVERY calorie it can. Continuing this behaviour will eventually lead to the depletion of your muscles - which you cant get back. This doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world because your young. But when you try to have children, numerous problems can come about. You'll also be more prone to Osteoporosis (DEAD) and so many deficiency that its impossible to mention here. If you think Jessica Alba and Nicole Richie are staying thin because of grapes and Yoga then I hate to disappoint you, High protein, low carb (You gotta have some carbs) and they work out...yes with weights. Spread the word!!
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
There is no reason to be anorexic or to throw up your food. You can loose weight just as easily with proper diet and excersize. You'll lose just as much weight without harming your health, and you'll feel great about yourself. There is also more than one diet, so if the one that you originally tried didn't work, try another one. Give it some time! If you follow a healthy diet, without throwing up your food, you'll lose weight and feel better about yourself. If you still have that much trouble, then you should see a doctor/therapist.
|

replied September 20th, 2005
Re: I Think I Am Starting to Become Anorexic/bulimic
Well-for me-i dont either know if i'm anorexic-i have a friend who's always on me but I dont think anything-i really wanna be pretty and skinny-i did lose a little weight-all of a sudden this past weekend a friend of mine told me that I was really skinny and she talked to me for about 20 minutes-it was kind of annoying of her but it was really nice of her to really care-she told me that I was really funny and I dont need to be anorexicly skinny I was hysterical and really fun to be around and that made me feel really good-for you all I can do is tell you that it doesnt matter what you look like on the outside because ppl who judge you by that arent worth even thinking about -let me know how it goes-imnauntee5
|

replied June 26th, 2007
youtube.com/watch?v=3orF0xrIvws

a short history about eating disorders... maybe someone would like to see it
|

replied February 8th, 2009
okayyyy, helppp?
okayy well im 14 years old and i weigh 124 and i am 5'4, i think i am overweight and i WANT to become anorxic, i hate being fatt.
people say im skinny and pretty but when i look at myself in the mirror i think im fat and ugly.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
Anorexia is a mental illness, for me I feel like a schizophrenic with the voices telling me NO! Don't eat that, I eat 500 cals a day max and I am 5"3 and 97lbs, I am still fat cos I haven't hit puberty so have no hips or boobs even tho I'm 17. I have never had a period ever and probz won't. My life is anorexia I had to drop out of college cos I was too weak to focus, but I just pretended it wasn't what I wanted.
You do not want to be anorexic. It's awful.
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2009
How do you become anorexic?
I know you lose weight by becoming anorexic but I hear that if you starve yourslef for 4 days and then eat again you will just gain weight and it wont even be worth it. But if you starve yourself for one day then eat a little then starve yourslef again you can lose weight. And if you put your body in starvation mood youll gain weight with every food you eat so how do you become anorexic?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
Experienced User
So Hard...
I ont know why but these latest comments have really hit me deep, Just reading about people starving There selfs, It nearly makes my eyes fill up with tears, There are people out there starving because they have no food or money and here we are doing it to ourselfs. Its such a horrible thing.

I came on this website as a recovering my ED at the age of 14-15......And now at 18 im being draged right back into it because i am living with A Bulimic housemate who is also my best friend....I havent talked to her about it, I have talked to my other friend who is also her friend, We both know whats going on and talk about Her ED and what to do eg confront her
They both know about my past but they have no idea that i have been purposly trying to eat under 400cals a day....I just dont know what to do anymore
|

replied June 25th, 2009
this story is so true im kinda going through the same ezact thing and people tell me i have an eating disorder all the time and i keep denying it say well i drink 5 red bull slushies aday and i eat under 200 calories a day so im not anorexic at all! i wonder now after reading your story and seeing everyones respones to it if i actually do have one because our storys are almost identical...thnx so much for sharing and it made me realize something about myself!
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2009
Okay Smile
anorexic girls do eat, its more like a controlled starvation and the state of mind, your using eating as a way of trying to have some control over your life , as it proberly feels like you dont have much at the moment you should deffinetly get some kind of help before its too late, and throwing up is the worst thing you can do because all your teeth will start rotting because of the stomache acid, theres no point being thin if you have an ugly smile now is there?
best of luck
sara x
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Most people fear of food starts by depression or something tramatic happening in the family. like a relative dieing or divorce. I should know about this my mum and dad divorced when i was just 4 and my nan died the other week. But when my friends said " i think you have an eating disorder" i just wanted to commit suidice i absoluetly hate my life.
But when i look in a mirror all i can see is fat and a ugly person, my friends say they would luv to have my figure tall and slim but i dont see me in that way.
regulary i have notice that in 1 week i loose around 3 pounds.i absolutley h8 it wen walking down town wid my m8s they staring at me then whispering look at her.

So i was wonderng if any one could give me advice. I want to tell my mum but we have never got on together. She would neva believe me.
So i was wondering could you help me?

i am aged 14 my height is 5"8 which is tall for my age but i weigh around 7 and half stones does this mean i am underweight

th
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Most people fear of food starts by depression or something tramatic happening in the family. like a relative dieing or divorce. I should know about this my mum and dad divorced when i was just 4 and my nan died the other week. But when my friends said " i think you have an eating disorder" i just wanted to commit suidice i absoluetly hate my life.
But when i look in a mirror all i can see is fat and a ugly person, my friends say they would luv to have my figure tall and slim but i dont see me in that way.
regulary i have notice that in 1 week i loose around 3 pounds.i absolutley h8 it wen walking down town wid my m8s they staring at me then whispering look at her.

So i was wonderng if any one could give me advice. I want to tell my mum but we have never got on together. She would neva believe me.

i am aged 14; my height is 5"8 and weighing around 7&1/2 stones am i underweight?
|

replied February 1st, 2010
DO I HAVE A ED
hii my story is kinda like that but write me totell me if i do have one............
im 14 almost 15 and weigh 51kg i try to eat but i cant keep it down im scared to touch anything with dairy products in it but im upset i starve and my dad calls me fat i stave even longer then the time befour myy mate try to help me been to a concellor but it did nothin but them saying ihad depression........can someone tell me if its a eating disorder..............karley
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
I know that anorexia is technically CONTROLLED starvation~ I was wondering though, what is technically considered an eating disorder? I certainly don't think I am "anorexic".. I eat when Im hungry, just really really slowly, and I feel disgusting after pretty much eating anything. But anyway what I'm saying is, what cal amount constitutes an eating disorder? I used to never EVER pay attention to my diet and then I started counting calories, 1500 at first which is obviously more than enough, then 1300 and now I'm staying under 1000. But I still actually think I eat plenty but for some reason people think that that amount sounds too low... I don't really think anyone "chooses" to be anorexic obviously but I guess it does start by paying attention to calories and then gradually cutting down. I think 1000 though is really fine, right?
|

replied September 26th, 2010
hi im suffering from the same kind of symptoms. im 15 years old, weighing 118lbs at 5 feet 4 inches. i just lost 26-28lbs recently. am i overweight? im kinda big compared to the girls my age. im asian, just so you know, and all my friends are very skinny. my mom say they dont look good without meat on them, (no boobs, no ass etc) but i just cant help it. when i look at them i feel FAT. Sad i stopped eating for a day or so, and then i ate something my stomach rejected it. now everything i eat comes out as diarrhea. am i developing a disorder? HELLP!
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Hi
I am 14 and sort of skinny i guess, well thats what my friends say anyway, but they are all way thinner... anyway, i always dont want to eat cause i feel really fat when i am with my friends and i just want to look thin... for me it is not an eating disorder, more a way of coping. My parents can hardly get through a day without a big fight, and i mean big. yelling, everything. most of my family lives in south africa, half way across the world from me, so it is mostly just mi older sis and I. i am used to trying to be perfect, i am accelerated in all my subjects at school and am always working on music or sport so i can be the best. I usually eat one small meal a day and some days not even that. my friends all say i must be anorexic 'cause inever eat anything but even if i was which i dont think I am, but who really cares if i am anyway, but it gets really annoying having them always bugging me about it. I know that if you think a friend has an eating disorder you are meant to try to help but surely you should ease off the 'help' once they tell you to drop it, you are really annoying me! how should i get them to stop bugging me? i just gave some of my background so anyone who reads this can see why people may think i have a problem but let me assure you, i really dont think i do... like, i dont obsessivly weigh myself or anything... so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to quit bugging me without going to see the school counseler or anything just to get them off my back cause the counciler is for lame people who just want someone to feel sorry for them.
|