Hi im kinda confused and I was wondering if there was such thing as a food addiction? Im 15 about 5"6 and im not sure of my weight (2 scared to step on the scales, I feel so fat!) I wouldnt say im overweight at the moment but if I carry on with eating so much I will end up being just that. The thing is I have depression and I tend to comfort eat but I cant actually stop myself! Im not even hungry but I just carry on then I feel sick. Im not bulimic though, I am actually scared of being sick so I just gain pounds because of this. I want to get to a gym and try and be more healthy but I am so tired at the moment I dont have the energy. I have a social anxiety disorder so im soo so scared of going places where people look at me.. I feel so ugly, its tearing me apart! I just want to be thin :( please help me!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Absolutely you can be addicted to food, and it can be as deadly as drugs if it is out of control. The reason you dont have energy is because your not exercising. Start small, take a walk, play tennis, take the stairs instead of the elevator. The more you exercise the more energy you will get. Trust me I totally know about comfort food because growing up I got the habit from my mom. Food was used as a device in my family. You got an a on your paper lets go get ice cream, if your good I will get you mcdonalds, ohh your boyfriend broke up with you lets get you some chocolate. It is really hard to break that, but you can do it. I found that what helped me was to not deprive myself of the things I wanted but to eat smaller portions or find alternates, ( a frozen banana instead of an ice cream cone, or pop corn instead of chips) weigh watchers is a great thing to become involved in because thats what they focus on, eating everything just in smaller portions. You can change the way you look, but you are the only person who can do it. Some people just do not understand what its like to be addicted to food because they dont have the problem. My husband just doesnt get it, I mean he thinks its just food but I know that it can be so much more then that. None of us are perfect but if you take it one step at a time you can overcome it. Good luck sweetie. But remember only you can change yourself no one can make you lose weight. Next time you want to veg out on a big cheese burger just think is it worth it? If I eat a sandwitch I will get just as full and be eating half of the calories. Just try not to let yourself starve, eat lots of snacks (healthy ones) because if you are starving you are probably going to use bad judgement when it come time to eat. Ive been there and I totally know what you are going through. Drink lots of water, avoid the soda and start small. Good luck.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Experienced User
Beggings of An Eating Disorder
You really sound as though you have the begginings of an eating disorder, maybe not anorexia or bulimia, but you could have compulsive overeating disorder, binge eating disorder. Or a mixture of them, no 2 eating disorders are the same. The meer fact that you use food in a way other than for nutritional purposes suggests this. You should definaltly talk to someone about this, dont be too scared because if you catch it early it will save you much pain in the long run. Big hugs xoxo
|

replied July 29th, 2005
Experienced User
Joining a Group
You are not alone ~ there are soooo many people, especially women, who have this binge eating disorder. You may want to join a support group of other overeaters who can help you cope with your problems in other ways besides using food. In america we have an organization called oa (overeaters anonymous) ~ it's for any kind of eating disorder, anorexia & bulimia too. I was a member for awhile & it really helped me. You may have similar groups in the uk. Look in the phone book or use the internet.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
Change Your Habbits
I think if you can focus on something else than food, like cleaning your room or doing something active, you can brake this addiction.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
Experienced User
There's a great book i've been reading called "eating mindfully". All about changing your relationship to food by thinking about how it helps your body instead of abusing it. It has good exercises for making peace with your body, mind & spirit. Just an idea...
|

replied July 25th, 2010
ive been overweight all my life, allways been fat! no matter what i try i cant lose weight, ive been on the slimfast plan for the last 4 weeks and ive actually put on 3 pounds. im starting to lose faith in life now as it seems it is such a negative thing in society to be over weight. i play 5 aside football 3 times a week, granted, i sit down all day at work so i do try with exercise. just runnin out of faith, im tired of allways watching what i eat and goin without only to find that ive stayed the same or actually gained weight. ive excercised 4 nights this week aswell as watching my calorie in take and having the shakes twice daily. when i weighed myself this morning i hadnt lost a bean, so i decided "f"*k it" so ive had pizza for lunch. obesity is in both sides of my family, thinkin about resorting to extreme measures as i cant go on carrying this excess weight. i cant get a girlfriend and i want a family. im lonely and im runnin out of time. ive done the whole weight watchers and sliming world thing, ive tried reducing calorie,fat carbs intake, implementing excercise but to no avail. ive been trying to source various amphetamines as this was what was used for weight control back in the old days but unfortunatly there class A drugs in this day and age. everywhere i look for advice its the same old people sayin the same old things. any suggestions as i cant carry on like this Sad
|

replied July 28th, 2010
Re: Food Addiction??
Food habits and exercise can go together and this offers perfect fitness. For your age, if you feel you are over weight, try workout in gym and you will soon get good shape to your physique.

xXxAshleexXx wrote:
Hi im kinda confused and I was wondering if there was such thing as a food addiction? Im 15 about 5"6 and im not sure of my weight (2 scared to step on the scales, I feel so fat!) I wouldnt say im overweight at the moment but if I carry on with eating so much I will end up being just that. The thing is I have depression and I tend to comfort eat but I cant actually stop myself! Im not even hungry but I just carry on then I feel sick. Im not bulimic though, I am actually scared of being sick so I just gain pounds because of this. I want to get to a gym and try and be more healthy but I am so tired at the moment I dont have the energy. I have a social anxiety disorder so im soo so scared of going places where people look at me.. I feel so ugly, its tearing me apart! I just want to be thin Sad please help me!
|

replied July 30th, 2010
chief8118, do you know for sure exactly how many calories you are taking in in the form of food? I know that counting calories is not popular right now, but if what you are doing isn't working, it would be helpful to know why, and counting calories very carefully for a few weeks will tell a lot. Then you can work out an eating plan that will work for you (if you can stick to it).
|
Tags: weight
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....