Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Married to Someone Who Has Schizophrenia/ Bipolar Disorder?

I'm young and married with a child. Just in the past year my husband has been showing signs of illness. He went to a shrink who put him on meds. Stop taking meds two weeks later and stop seeing shrink a month later. Now i'm going crazy trying to help him. I'm majorly depressed. Cant help him have to help our child. Now i'm working and seeing less of my child. Things are getting worse even though his stress is getting less. Begging and pleading with him to get help. He wont admit that he has problems. No one around him coworkers or family knows what he's been doing to me. My mother see's some things and I tell people I work with. But no sugguestions help me. I only stay with him because I know he has real problems. But staying with him is hurting me. I don't have money and no where to go. He argue's and hollers all the time. My new job is at jepordy because of my stress level and lack of sleep. If I devorce his perfect family will try to take my kid. Even though he is not an active parent he will try to keep our kid. Just to make me mad. So any advice on how to get information for devorce court. Email me with advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hondashonda
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Think It Through Logically
Why do you think he or his family can take your child? I have never seen a court who looked favorably on the father taking full custody of a young child unless the mother was not fit. And you can prove he has a diagnosis of mental illness. Why do you fear losing your child? And his family? Please, I know of few states that even have grandparent's visitation rights! Is this the whole story? If so, then just get out. You deserve better and so does your child. Have any friends to put you up for a while? A shelter? Don't live your life in misery. You can do it!!!!!!! Let me know how you are. That you are okay....
|

replied August 16th, 2005
File a restraining order if you are scared....Then to divorce lawyer....Then to court....
|

replied December 7th, 2009
She doesnt want to leave him and be another statistic. She has to help him get help. This is what you do. When he falls asleep turn on one of those christian stations so he hears positive reinforment while sleeping in his subcontious. No UFC or fighting. No violent TV or movies. Also show concern and actually make a call to the Dr. in front of him and schedual the apt. Ask if this or that time is better. then he will most likely give into a time slot. Then fax over the Dr. The symptoms and any info you dont want him to get mad at you about or that he would hide from the Dr. Then a.goto the appt with him. Take him to lunch first or something after he is in the car then tell him you going to that appt remember....he will try and back out everytime...Get the meds filled and physically treat him like a small child and feed him the meds. This has worked in the past for me but now I wish I knew what to do about no Insurance.....My hubby just runs off and disappears for a couple of days and drinks himself to death or until he gets sick somehow....He does good if he stays busy but with no job he feels restless and just drinks which agervates the mental condition.. Goodluck girl I am right where you are except I haven t a small child just a seven yr old
shonda
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...