Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Factor 5 Leiden Deficiency

Do you have Factor 5 leiden deficiency?
yes
no
42%  42%  [ 3 ]
57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7
I have had two miscarriages since I have been married, our one year anniversary is sunday. My obgyn ran some tests and found out that I have factor 5 leiden deficiency. He told me that the next time I get pregnant that I would have to take two shots of coumadin everyday to keep the blood clots from killing the baby. Every website I have been to has said not to take coumadin while you are pregnant...Any advice.

Hoping for that real love that only comes from your own child,
ashley
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Experienced User
I've never heard of that. But I take coumadon and they said to make sure I don't get pregnant.
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Wait
Please check out this website = drugs.Com and look under coumadin. It says not to take if you are pregnant or may become pregnant because it can cause birth defects. So please consult with you doc again and let them know what it says. It is under the fda pregnancy catagory x. Hope this helps.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Factor V leiden and pregnancy
Its one or two shots a day of heparin during pregnancy.
coumadin does not come in a shot.
Pregnancy and factor V leiden are compatible but truly requires a partnership with a physician during the pre-pregnancy and pregnancy. There is strong evidence to support high levels of vitamin D before and during pregnancy (greater than 40 ng/ml). Obtain a blood level (25-OH-vitamin D is the name of the test)
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Coumadin is a pill, and it cannot be taken during pregnancy. I'm sure your Dr. meant for you to take two shots of Lovenox every day. I have Factor V and that's what I was told. I'm also a nurse. Smile
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Factor 5 and Pregnancy
What I had to do was take an injection of Innohep every day being it doesn't harm the fetus. In the last two weeks of pregnancy I had to take Heprin because it is a 12 dose rather than 24. In case you go into labour they can give an antidote to the blood thinner. I was told you can't take coumadon or worfrin during your pregnancy because it attacks the fetus. After visits to my OBGYN and a Hematologist I had my questions answered and had a healthy baby. I was told the whole reason Factor V is a problem during pregnancy is because it reacts to the extra estrogen in your body. Estrogen makes your blood clot when you have Factor V. So therefor I cannot take any birth control pills with estrogen in them also.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...