I have mild cervical dysplasia with positive ecc (endocervical curettage) which means I have abnormal cells on the surface of my cervix and up inside. I am scheduled for a cone procedure surgery next tuesday, the 26th. Has anyone heard of a cone biopsy being done with only mild dysplasia? Is it possible that my dysplasia may be worse than the pap and biopsy results show? I'm worried. Any info would help. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Re: Cone
Hello, I had severe cervical dysplasia about a year ago and from what my doctors told my the cone thing is a removal of a part of your cervix in which the abnormal cells are. For me, if cryotherepy didnt work, they would have tried that, so for me that sounds a little unusual. Cryotherepy is the freezing of the abnormal cell area and the cells would later come off. Well, it worked for me and I had severe so I am not sure why they are going to such measures for yours. I would ask them about alternatives like cryotherepy. It is still invasive, but not as much. And I wont tell you it didnt suck, but hey.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
Cone
The reason they gave me for doing the cone rather than cryotherapy or leep is because of the positive ecc, meaning the cells are up inside the cervical canal. They want to make sure they get it all on the first time so there is less chance I will have to have a repeat procedure. I'm just scared that this biopsy will come back worse than the colposcopy, biopsy and ecc results, which were mild. I guess I just have to be patient. The waiting is just hard. Thank you for the information.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Re: Cone
Yes, that makes sense then. And yeah, the waiting is the worst part. I am happy to say that since the cryotherepy my paps have returned mostly normal. Just want to warn you about one thing, they may not come back normal for a few months, up to a year, because of scar tissue. Thats what happened with me and finally now they are normal. I wish you luck and hope everything turns out great for you!
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
I have had the procedure done on me. I had abnormal cells on my cervix also. Its a bit painful but, its a worth a try.
|

replied July 29th, 2005
Experienced User
Update On My Cone Procedure
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and support. I had my cone biopsy done on tuesday this week and then got the results back this morning. It came back mild dysplasia-cin 1 and the margins were clear, so they got it all. I only have slight discomfort, but am just so happy there was no cancer and that it was only mild. I plan to definitely keep up with my paps and take my vitamins. Thanks again! Have a good weekend!

Crystal
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...