I think I am suffering, but I am confused on which type of doctor to call. My ob/gyn or primary care. Any advice?????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Post Dep
I would see you general doc, I had bad post dep after my daughter was born and never got it treated, I went for years without help and I didnt enjoy the first few years of my daughrter :( good luck
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Pp Depression
I would look into pp hypothyroidism.

This second phase of postpartum thyroiditis is an underactive or hypothyroid period and usually occurs 3 to 8 months postpartum. This phase can be characterized by a slight enlargement of the thyroid gland and symptoms of weight gain, fatigue, lack of energy and often depression. In fact, many cases of so called postpartum depression have actually been linked to postpartum thyroid disease and are readily treatable. Permanent hypothyroidism may develop especially if you have high antibody levels or a severe hypothyroid phase. Treatment for this hypothyroid phase is with thyroid hormone medication for about six months. After this time, the medication is stopped to determine whether or not the thyroid has recovered its normal function. If so, the medication may be stopped permanently, otherwise the medication must be resumed because of permanent injury to the thyroid gland.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....