Acne Myths

Myth #1: Acne is caused by poor hygiene. If you believe this myth, and wash your skin hard and frequently, you can actually make your acne worse. Acne is not caused by dirt or surface skin oils. Although excess oils, dead skin and a day's accumulation of dust on the skin looks unsightly, they should not be removed by hand scrubbing. Vigorous washing and scrubbing will actually irritate the skin and make acne worse. The best approach to hygiene and acne: Gently wash your face twice a day with a mild soap, pat dry--and use an appropriate acne treatment for the acne.

Myth #2: Acne is caused by diet. Extensive scientific studies have not found a connection between diet and acne. In other words, food does not cause acne. Not chocolate. Not french fries. Not pizza. Nonetheless, some people insist that certain foods affect their acne. In that case, avoid those foods. Besides, eating a balanced diet always makes sense. However, according to the scientific evidence, if acne is being treated properly, there's no need to worry about food affecting the acne.

Myth #3: Acne is caused by stress. The ordinary stress of day-to-day living is not an important factor in acne. Severe stress that needs medical attention is sometimes treated with drugs that can cause acne as a side effect. If you think you may have acne related to a drug prescribed for stress or depression, you should consult your physician.

Myth #4: Acne is just a cosmetic disease. Yes, acne does affect the way people look and is not otherwise a serious threat to a person�s physical health. However, acne can result in permanent physical scars--plus, acne itself as well as its scars can affect the way people feel about themselves to the point of affecting their lives.

Myth #5: You just have to let acne run its course. The truth is, acne can be cleared up. If the acne products you have tried haven�t worked, consider seeing a dermatologist. With the products available today, there is no reason why someone has to endure acne or get acne scars
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper priya465
|

replied September 30th, 2003
Helpful!
That was awesome!! Thanks! Cool
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied April 18th, 2004
Acne Is One of the Most Common Skin Disorders
Acne is one of the most common skin disorders in the united states: over 17 million people suffer from this condition. Eighty five percent of people between 12 and 24 years old have acne.1

although experts agree that cleaning up your diet and ensuring you have adequate levels of the basic nutrients can help with skin disorders, there are a few strong studies which show friendly bacteria (probiotics) greatly help this condition. In a west german study involving 23 atopic eczema patients and nine healthy controls, participants who took friendly bacteria such as acidophilus showed "clear cut changes toward normal ranges".3

reading the section under digestion & acne/skin at edit will further help you understand the powerful benefits probiotics and enzymes provide as well as their ability to help alleviate conditions such as acne. Shocked

best regards,
craig
edit
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Once again, this is not a forum to market your products......
|
Users who thank guest75341 for this post: RunVigor 

replied August 7th, 2004
How can you get rid of acne scars?
I've heard cocoa butter helps and some other product I heard on a commerical that gets rid of scars it's like dermaclean or something.
|

replied October 9th, 2004
Experienced User
Mark, what qualifications do you even have? Did you take that out of a bad magazine or something?
If you have acne and don't wash your face, you will notice a difference if you suddenly do wash your face. Washing your face in a hard fashion is poor hygiene, actually. That alone can cause injury. Acne is an infection. It is like a wound, like a small scratch or paper cut. When you get a small scratch or paper cut, fail to clean it out and some small particle such as of dirt remains in this wound, it likely shall become infected, like a pimple. The issue of natural oils resulting in acne is that it provides a nice environment for bacteria, which can also cause infections.
Different foods sometimes make a difference in the homeostasis of someone's body. Food doesn't directly cause acne, but it may contribute to extending its effects.
Stress does help promote acne. It screws with you body's balances, particularly that of hormones. The stress you're obviously referring to is the regular day-to-day stresses, as you say, but stress in relation to acne is typically referring to periods of higher stress, such as examinations, a higher workload than normal, deaths in the family, diseases, etc. These stresses can help weaken your body and make you more susceptible to infections and diseases ini general.
Acne is not a disease, in the first place. It's just a problem. I don't even know who would believe that acne would be purely cosmetic. If you're concerned about acne, it is obvious that it reaches further than just cosmetically speaking.
Not all acne can be cleared up, and not everyone has the money that would be able to clear them up. I know I don't have the money to see a dermatologist. And what about the reason of genetics? My mother is 46 years of age and still gets a pimple or zit every once and a while. If you have the cure all for everyone, which would have to be the case for you to make such an assertion, why don't you let us all know about it?
|

replied October 18th, 2004
Maybe you better rewrite ur little myths because there are statistics for at least 3 of your little "myths" that support the fact that they do in fact cause acne: diet, stress, and poor hygiene. Do some more research and then maybe ill cooperate.
|

replied October 19th, 2004
Experienced User
Yes, poor hygiene, diet and stress can cause pimples.. But just because you get a few pimples doesn't mean you have "acne". Having acne is a condition that is often caused by underlying reasons (hormonaly imbalances, etc.) many reasons we don't know otherwise acne would be cured. The things you mentioned such as diet, etc can help to either minimize acne or make it worse (such as not washing your face). But you will not develop severe or moderate acne from these things. Nor will following them clear your face. I have acne and I could live a stress free life and eat a perfect diet (i already keep good hyhiene to minimize my breakouts) and it will never clear my condition. This is the difference.
|

replied May 11th, 2005
Hmmm. Well for those of you who do have acne problems I know a trick that can help. I dont advertise period but I love this stuff! It is so fab. It is organic virgin coconut oil! Get this! It is a natural antibiotic! So when you use it on your face it will assist in ridding you of acne! And it also helps with scarring! Even better? It helps you lose weight! You can practically eat the stuff out of the jar. Hopefully that will help some of you. Take care

liebe immer

r
|

replied May 11th, 2005
Experienced User
All antibiotics are natural. Just because they're gathered in laboratories doesn't make them unnatural. It's a way to get a large quantity of a specific type. Furthermore, the oil itself cannot be the antibiotic since antibiotics only come from bacteria.
|

replied May 11th, 2005
......... Think as you wish. I am not going to argue over this matter if you dont believe me that is fine but I have done the research pertaining to what I have said. And obviously it works...... Because I have women all over work begging to know how I do it.

Darkest blessings.....

R
|

replied May 11th, 2005
Experienced User
It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And, as a "dispute investigator" and your obvious dearth of knowledge in this subject matter, i'm sure you don't have the background experience or otherwise as well.
|

replied May 12th, 2005
You are mistaken. I mearly just do not wish to debate with you. As stated before... You can think as you wish in that little bubble of yours. Have fun. Because when it comes right down to it... I dont care what you think.....

:d
|

replied June 4th, 2005
I think what mark is trying to say is that not any 1 of those 5 myths is a direct cause of acne. As we all know, some of those 5 things do have a big/small affect on the acne itself. But you don't just get acne out of the blue by those things. There are other factors as well. I am not saying I know them. But everyone in the world has different skin, and not all the causes/solutions are the same for everyone. Managing stress might decrease acne in one person, while eating better might decrease it in another person, and might not have any affect at all on a third person.

No need to argue when there is no 1 correct answer.
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Vitamin Treatment For Acne
Some times acne can be cleared up by increasing your daily intake of certain vitamins and minerals. Find out more about vitamins and minerals for acne/oily skin

for some reason the link wont work, which is too bad, but you can still manually type it into your browser or click the link, then change the uppercase p in .Php to a lower case one, and click enter.

Edit
|

replied June 28th, 2005
And Just to Clear Things Up...
It seems a lot of you are being mislead by this "feel better" propaganda bs. Acne is caused by many different things, but in almost all light to mild cases of acne are directly related to your diet and health. If people with acne, didnt smoke, didnt eat greasy processed fast food, drank plently of water, not juice but water everyday, excersised, and aquired all the rda of vitamins and minerals.............They probably wouldnt have acne anymore. Its a matter of taking care of yourself and sticking to a good healthy lifestyle. This along with some over the counter acne cleaners, most cases of acne can be cured up by simple common sense.
|

replied February 20th, 2006
Stone Cold
As some one who has suffered from acne since the age of 12 its hard to listen to people who only wish to discuss the medical side of it. I think that there is not a cure that you can just put on your skin and feel better, nothing can clear your skin over night. You can eat a perfect diet, wash 100 times a day, pour vitamins down your mouth and still wake up in a weeks time with your face covered in spots. No one has mentioned the pain and heart ache that people go through when they have acne. I have cried the river usk because I have tried everything to clear my skin,the only time I had clear skin was when I was pregnant!!!! And I had to spend that time fat as a pig!!! In the end I went to my doctor and said ' just test me for everything that can possibly cause acne' and I wish I hadnt coz I was diagnosed with having a serious kidney disease. Hence the cause. My only sensible advice that I am qualified to give to people is to do the same, go to your gp and ask to have tests done, at least that way you will know if there is an underlying problem. Ps. What is good for one persons skin can totally destroy anothers. My sister suffers from acne, and she really gets on with using clinique but I am allergic!!!!
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Myths
Hi everyone!! :)

i actually did believe to those myths or sayings but I dont think that its true, maybe for some, but base thru my experiences about acne, I did followed those myths and it didnt work for me, coz I think if your an acne prone type of person, the best thing that you can do is treat your acne, try to check on this site because this had helped me;

nicole garcia

"the fastest way to naturally cure your acne in just 3 days! "
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Thanks! My friend claims that certain types of food may cause acne, but I guess there is no proof of that.

Sincerely,
-=victor ly
|

replied April 4th, 2006
Experienced User
I do believe stress can cause acne-i am a walking example. After leaving a city I did not want to after six months I returned home so stressed. I cannot tell you how bad my face got-stress plays such a role with our bodies..Heart attacks, strokes..I then learned cover girl make-up is terrible for the skin..Almay is the best if you have sensitive skin. I cut out a lot from my diet and my skin, thank god, is flawless.......
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
With this myths there are lots of myths about the asce
first is the pollution. I think pollution is 1st and most important. You can clean your face regularly by the recommended products. Which can help you quickly and effect as soon as.
|

replied June 29th, 2013
There are a lot of things which can cause acne...and this problem requires multi-pronged approach. the reason can be different and a good doctor is necessary to prescribe the treatment
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....