Hi everyone-i'm new to this site. I have health related anxiety. I thought I had hiv for years, then finally broke down and had a test. It was negative and I thought I could move on. Since then, I have been worried about als and most recently, ms. I am convinced that I have it. I did have a brain mri (which is not 100% I have been told) but that was about 3 months ago and I have had a host of new symptoms develop since then. I have tingling everywhere...It comes and goes in literally every part of my body. Today the roof of my mouth is tingling! You name it, i've had tingling there. Its so annoying. I have some minor fatigue but nothing major at all and sometimes my legs feel really weird then I walk. I dont' have panic attacks so i'm not sure what this could be. All I know is that I just got engaged and I should be so happy (i am for sure! ) but all I can think about is that I am goign to be in a wheelchair and not be able to function for the rest of my life...Can anyone relate? Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper petitelemon
|

replied July 12th, 2005
I had the same feelings as you did, my arms hands legs and feet would tingle all the time, sometimes get so numb that I couldn't feel them. I would get body twitches all over my body, it was so annoying. I would sit down to watch tv, all of a sudden my leg would twitch or my finger. I used to sometimes trip over my own feet when walking and bite my tongue when chewing food. I for sure thought I had ms or parkinsons or something like that. Went to a neurologist and he did some tests on me and also sent me for a head cat scan, all game back normal. Told me it was just stress. I guess it was. I still twitch every now and then but I try to reassure myself that there are some stressful situations in my life right now, even though I don't feel like I am stressed out....But unconciously my body knows I am and reacts.... Getting married is stressful even though you might not realize it...
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Hi thanks for replying. I know, my sister in law's dad has it and he seems to be doing pretty well. These symptoms are just so scary! I don't think they are all caused by anxiety, I know that when you have a panic attack you can have tingling in your hands and feet, but this is everywhere and when I am completely calm. Does anyone else get this? Thanks
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Look up fight or flight response on the net it can be a cause of tingling
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
What do u meen the mri wasnt 100%? To be honest ms isnt that bad of a deiseise like it used to be. Look at montell williams, hes had it for a long ass time
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
As a matter of fact if I had another scan and found out I had ms and all the symptoms im expereincing were do to that id be happy because id know that its from that and nothing real serious
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Hi guys thanks for replying. The neuro told me that it was 93% accurate-but I read on an ms website that a lot of ppl have clear mris at first. My tingling literally changes all of the time-sometimes its in my arms, other times in my back, sometimes in my feet...Its so weird! Does anyone else have this?
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Hey does your eyelid ever feel heavier then the other one?
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
So is twitching all the time and being off balance,usually meens theres some kind of nuerological problem goin on. Ive had an mri and 2 ct's, no tumor here. Have u ever had an mri?
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
It went away, it was happeing on and off. I tihnk its because I only got 4-5 hours of sleep last night, ive even talked to my doc about it before he checked me out and said its fine. If u look closely everybody has one eyrlid that is a little bit lower then the other one
|

replied July 14th, 2005
Ms
Hi, I have just discovered this site and cannot believe how many other people have wierd symptoms like mine. I started having problems about 20 years ago when my right leg and buttocks went quite numb. At the time all the doctor said was that it might be something similar to ms. They did no proper tests and I was really freaked out about it for years. Obviously the leg returned to normal after a couple of months. 20 years on I have tingling sensations from my feet into my stomach, chest and sometimes head. These sensations move around you could almost describe it as a rumbling sometimes .I suffer with migraine twice a month, these are without aura but I get bad tingling with it. I have dizziness quite a lot and tinnitus all the time but I don't notice that as much as the tingling. I had an mri last year which gave negative results for ms, which I was quite relieved about but still the tingling goes on! I sometimes have slight numbness in various parts of my body but nothing to worry about. Apart from that I am quite fit! I go to the gym most mornings, run on the treadmill etc. I do sometimes have fatigue but thats probably down to doing too much. Anyway I would must like to say that I hope other people can relate to my symptoms. I try not to worry about them now, try to ignore them as much as poss. Live for today and enjoy life, you could get run over by a bus tommorrow!
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Hi bigman, I suffer from similar symptoms. A few weeks ago I got very bad headaches, it was like headaches that would be like a sharp pain that came and went after a few seconds. After that it doesnt happen as much and the pain has decreased a lot. I also experience twitching of my arm or leg. My balance is good, on off at times. I was so worried it was something serious.
|

Stress (of course) causes the tensing of muscles pretty much anywhere in the body. The tensing of muscles, depending on severity, can restrict bloodflow, and pinch nerves. (not sure if "pinch" is the right word there, I am no expert.) both of those things can cause tingling sensations.

That's not to say that if you're really worried you shouldn't check it out, of course. But don't discount stress just because the tingling isn't localized to one spot.
|

This Is My #1 Fear Also...
Hi. I'm sorry to hear you're suffering from the worry about ms, but man, me, too! My grandmother had ms and I guess a pretty bad case, or the treatment was less effective a couple of decades ago, because it was scarring to see her so debilitated when I was young.

I have been afraid of getting this disease/sure I have the disease since I was 14, for 19 years now. The paranoia of it is almost a part of me. In the past couple of months, i've also been experiencing some tingling--first in my back (i have a lot of back problems after getting in a car accident a few years ago), but it moves around: I feel it mostly in my legs but also a bit in my arms. I have been just paralyzed with fear about this, but since stumbling upon this site, I am beginning to think I just have anxiety, and these physical symptoms are the way it manifests. I had an mri done recently for another reason (sinus problems) and, though I didn't ask about ms, I think it's likely that if I had an obvious problem, any doctor that looked at the scan would have seen it. I'm apt to think my physical symptoms are a result of anxiety because they tend to vary with how stressed/anxious I am, about the disease (my big worry), but also in general; like many people here, I worry about many things and have for as long as I can remember.

These are things which make me think the physical symptoms are anxiety and not ms or some other neurological disorder. It gives me a bit of leverage on the anxiety to realize this, so I post this hoping it may help you as well:

the tingling totally varies. I will obsess about my back feeling tingling for a couple of weeks, be sure I have the disease, and then it will all of a sudden go away. I will then think I have tingling somewhere else (like my legs). Strangely, when I "focus" my "diagnostic eye" elsewhere on my body, the first site goes away. I don't think this is how ms, or any other neurological disorder works.

When i'm relaxed, or really distracted with something else, I don't feel the tingling at all.

When I have a glass of wine (i.E. Am more chemically a little relaxed) I don't notice the tingling.

I have gone many months--a year, even--with feeling nothing. Coincidentially, these are the times i've been less anxious, about the disease, and in general.

I've noticed recently how tense my body is most of the time--again because of the anxiety, I think. If your muscles are tense so much of the time, tingling also seems like a likely result.

I realized that if I went to the doctor, asked him/her about ms, and they said, did tests, etc., to prove I didn't have it, I don't think i'd entirely believe them. I think i'd think either they missed something or I didn't have it *yet.* realizing this has made me think that it's also likely an emotional issue.

Hope this helps you a little. I am just considering the possibilty that i, in fact, don't have the dreaded ms and just have an emotional/psychological problem. The worry about the disease has been with me for so long that it is a deep problem, though, and i'm talking to a therapist now, realizing that I needed more emotional help than I was able to give myself.

Anyway, I know what it is like to live in daily fear of this disease, and I offer you my compassion. This is a pretty scary world to live in--i hope we're able to find safer places soon.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...