Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Pregnancy And Bipolar I

Hello,

i am new to this group. Call me toni and is good to be here. Ok so here is the situation I have found myself in. I am 11 days pregnant, how do I know, well I had intercourse the 28th the 29th was my due date. My breasts have become swollen hurt and my nipples hurt. I have begun a discharge. At first, and yes still now, I feel something and run to the bathroom to see if my period has come, I am wearing myself out. So it is nighttime here and I am sure I am pregnant. I am bipolar. I take medications. I need to find specific information about specific meds and risk to my baby. Oh yeah and I am 41. My grandmother gave birth to her last child at 49. Soooo I pray all is fine. Of course this pregnancy wasn't planned, although I had been thinking about my internal clock......If you can guide me, I would be glad to here from you thanks,
toni
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Have you taken a test to find out for sure. Also what meds are you taking. Some are fine to take while pregnant. Do u have other children?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
My bf's mom was like that. She had his brothers when she was in her twenties. Then 20 years later along comes jay (my bf) and she was 43 at the time... So it happens. And he came out fine. So good luck :)
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Im bipolar, but i've never been pregnant.
Im pretty sure celexa is safe to take during pregnancy.
They may not want you to breastfeed, to put u on stronger meds straight after the birth.
I'd talk to ur doc tho
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Experienced User
First if I was you I would take a home pregnancy test just to make sure....Then if it shows negative and still no period a week later I would go to the doctor....As far as the bipolar part you would have to ask your doctor!
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! Welcome! Congratulations! You really need to see your Dr. And possibly get your bipolar meds changed with your pregnancy and you should get stared on the correct kind of pre-natal vitamins. Good luck
and let us know how things go.
It is a good idea to take a home pregnancy test 1st and for best results, take it in the morning 1st thing and remember, they are not always 100% accurate, the best thing is a blood test from the drs office.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Bipolar/possible Pregnancy
Thank you guys!!!!! I feel much better after hearing from all of you. Was feeling a bit overwhelmed before. Of course my mind took over :) scary thing.

I have heeded advise, yesterday I bought a new tester(little !**@!) well it came out negative. I kept thinking maybe it was possible for it to be false, either by my fault or product.

Sooooo. I went out again and bought a more expensive known brand. Tried again and negative. I have relaxed. The only thing is that my body says one thing, and tests another.

I am going to make appt. To have Dr. Take test to be sure. I will keep you posted.
Again, thank you for helping me. Feels good to have all of you talk to me!!! Toni
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...