Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

How Far Can We Push Ourselves to the Edge Before We Fall?

I'm just writing to everyone because i'm about to cry. There was this beautiful, bright and intelligent girl who came to this forum a while ago, we started to chat over pm and I found out more about her, like all of us she was in a dark place...Not wanting to live unless she could be thin or happy. A couple of weeks ago she stopped writing, I was really worried so I sent her heaps or messages, a few minutes ago I got a message from her mother. Aparently she overdoesed on meds and nearly died, her brother found her just in time (like by minutes), shes now in a eating disorder clinic. I dont know what I expect anyone to think or do or say, I just wanted to vent and say how can we ever get out of this? The scary thing is, that I know how she was feeling, i've come close to the edge many times. It makes me wonder whether I could ever try to die...And maybe I could, and that scares me. I dont wanna die...I just wanna be thin and happy, but I get so down about being thin and pretty that the other priorities slip away. I'm sorry, I guess i'm just upset...Life is so fickle, how come if humans are so intelligent can there be so much self inflicted hurt, I mean we hurt other people enough-why do we wanna do this to our selves? I know i'm babbling, I just wanted to let you all know how close we can come to pushing our selves off the edge...And sometimes we slip. Love and peace to everyone here! I hope we dont suffer for too much longer, some people seem to be happy, so should we. Xoxo a very distressed damsel
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but it is important to realise that we have a choice what route to take. It's not easy, in fact, far from it. I'm currently in what I call active recovery, and have been for a little over the year, though have been in recovery for quite a number of years. Unfortunately (as was the case with me) a lot of people tend to hit rock bottom before they take the rains backs into their own hands. What rock bottom is for one person is going to be different for another. No one really knows what route someone is going to take. I hope your friend is ok, and that there is no long term damage to her organs etc.
|

replied July 19th, 2005
((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) )))))))))

i'm here for you if you would like to talk. Pm me or e-mail me all right?
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....