Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Does Abortion Painful? & How Much Time It Takes to Heal

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am pregnent and I want to abort. Then within how many hour operation can be done or how many days does it take to heal?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Katicatt
|

replied July 8th, 2005
Hey... It depends on what kind of abortion you want. You can either get a surgical abortiong or you can get a medication that you do yourself at home. I recommend the one that you do at home because then it's kinda like a miscarriage. That is what I did, if you do the surgical one it's more expensive and stuff. You dont' remember what happened and stuff. The pill is just two little pills that you put up in your vagina and it will take affect whenever it gets to your uterus. I'm not going to lie, but it's just like going through labor. As for the surgical procedure, you don't have really any pain. I'm not for sure about the surgical because I didn't do that one. It took me about a month to recover from aborting. Please get the abortion done asap if you are going to. And even though the people here are saying mean things about abortions, everyone believes in different beliefs.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
I think you have the right to choose what ever you want to do. I had 2 abortions in my life. The first one when I was 15 year old. I was too young and it was a real bad time in my life. The second I was 20 years old and I had to make the choice since my mother was in the hospital dying. That time I was a full time student and had no income.

I know what you are going thru regarding your options. I don't know about the ru486 abortion pill but I do know about the surgical abortion procedure. When they take you into the room they give you a light sediative and numb your cervix. The pressure from the needle is slightly painful but quick. If you are lucky you can get a doctor that can dialate you quickly before the numbness wares off. You will feel cramping from the suction when they suck out the fetus from uterus. Plus, you will have to be still during the procedure. There are nurses there to give you support during the process. Afterwards they check with an ultra sound to make sure everything is out. You will be bleeding for a few days like you are on your period. That is what I went thru.

You do what is best for you. Write down a pros and cons list of what is important and what's best for you. You can always have a child years down the road. Give yourself time to think about what you want to do with rest of your life.
|

replied June 7th, 2009
the doctor did not numb me before my Abortion , Painful
Im 33 have 2 kids and ended up getting an abortion on friday may -29th -2009 .. I was almost 9 weeks pregnant and I never ever had an abortion before ,this was my first and my last !!! my surgical abortion was so bad !! the doctor did not give me any numbing medication and I felt every thing every stabe he stabed me almost 10 times & the painful vacium sucksion that felt like its suckioning my guts out and every painful violant contracrion worst than labor all while im screaming ,crying and buging the doctor to stop and give me a shot to numb me down but his nurse would tell me no we can't and she is holding me down for the whole abortion so i wont move on the dr while he is slotering me with out numbing my uterus or cervix and it turns out the shots they gave me befor the procuder is nausia medication ,labor inducing medication to produce very strong vailont contractions ( very very painful contractions because i was not numb ed) this medication is to help the doctor in the abortion and the last medication that was in the shot was a kind of valium or demerol which is to relax u and make unable to move and stop the doctor from all the pain he made me feel and this medication makes it easy for the nurse to hold me down and control me throught out the whole extreamly painful abortion and it will lower my screams and cries ,when he was done the doctor made sure to cary the clear glass jar 2/3 full of blood and some tan color tissu and stood there in my face acting like he is talkin to the nurse and he makes sure that i was looking at that jar he is holding ,so he made sure i would see and feel even more bad and worst than i already do !!! I don't think this doctor had a right to treat me this way , he totaly done me wrong I think for his own personal feelings about abortion and wanting to teach us women who chose abortion a lesson and make it as painful as possible cause we made that choice!!Belive me if I have ANY RIGHTS by law I will try to sue this doctor for his licence cause he must have done this and still doing this to many other women out there and because we r so ashamed of what we have done (abortion)that we keep quiet and shut up after all the pain he put us through cause he knows that we will keep shut cause its a very sensetive privite issue to take to court and talk in front of many about doing this shamful thing having an abortion ,which is a nightmare!!!! So Please ladies and girls out there make sure that u ask alot of questions and try to find out exactly from the doctor that if he does not put u to sleep is he going to give u a NUMBING anesthitic shot that u dont feel any pain if u r awake throught the abortin and make sure that its not just a relaxing med like volium & demerol !!! I need to know if what the doctor did was ok and anybody else go trought what I went Throght and what the doctor did to me and doing my abortion with out using a numbing medication and let me feel all of that pain ?? did any one had this happen to them or heard about it happening to someone else ???
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
painful
i just had an abortion today. it was the most painful experience i have ever had...although it only lasted what seemed like 1 minute...literally. all the drugs and vicodin and gas they gave me helped for the shot that they give to numb your cervix but definately did not help the pain of the actual abortion. but like i said...it only lasted but a minute and was probably not as painful as giving birth.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Surgical abortion with no type of IV sedations is painful. The cramps are what I would call moderate. It is over is less than 5 minutes and you can go about most of your regular activity. Best part is the pregnancy symptoms go away quickly.

I don't know anything other than what I've read on medical abortion.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
Relief with IV sedation abortion
I had my second abortion to date this afternoon. My first was a horrible experience. The doctor did not even introduce herself (this is a women's health facility and reproductive center) and the only medication I was administered were two ibuprofen 20 minutes before the procedure. It was intensely painful, I was nervous to start and no one cared enough to try and soothe me before starting the operation. I was completely awake, felt everything, held down, hyperventilating and crying. It was a complete nightmare. That was the first one I had and I swore I would never do it again.

So finding myself pregnant the second time, I was opting for the abortion pill, but after reading some reviews and personal accounts it seems almost ven more inhumane than the surgical procedure. I mean, uncontrollable vomiting, contractions, intense bleeding and it can last for days? With no relief? No way.

So after researching some more, I decided that IV sedation sounded like the best option. Not all places offer this and even though I live in unite a large and well known city, I had to drive two hours away to a clinic that offers the sedation. This was such an excellent facility. I was so freaked out just to be there, with the memory of my further abortion haunting me. I discussed all my fears and previous experience with a nurse (who actually cared and was concerned) and the doctor came in and met me briefly as well. God bless this guy, he was a 65ish guy with a beard like Santa Claus. They explained the process to me and the sedation, then I was off to the surgery room. Once inside I was more nervous and cried a bit, but the nurses were cool and told me that most of them had been in my shoes before. Nice to know. I was given the IV (I'd never had an IV before) saw the ceiling ripple, and was pretty much out. I have some strange memories that may or may not be real, because afterwards I was imaging things and then realizing I was falling in and out of sleep, but I think that the Talking Heads or Bowie was playing during surgery...

So the point is, I didn't feel and don't really remember anything from the "conscious" sedation other than David Bowie and being rolled into recovery in a wheelchair, because I was still sleepy/woozy/knocked out. I did not get sick from the medication. I did eat a banana after the surgery which probably helped settle my stomach so that I could eat a full meal. (you can't eat or drink for a least 8 hours before the IV sedation). I am home now in bed, feeling quite pleasant. No cramps as of now but I am expecting some tomorrow. Still no pain either. Overall, a great and completely non-scarring experience. Hope my story can help someone else. I hope that no women continue to have abortions like my first experience, and that today's experience becomes the norm.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
I had my second abortion to date this afternoon. My first was a horrible experience. The doctor did not even introduce herself (this is a women's health facility and reproductive center) and the only medication I was administered were two ibuprofen 20 minutes before the procedure. It was intensely painful, I was nervous to start and no one cared enough to try and soothe me before starting the operation. I was completely awake, felt everything, held down, hyperventilating and crying. It was a complete nightmare. That was the first one I had and I swore I would never do it again.

So finding myself pregnant the second time, I was opting for the abortion pill, but after reading some reviews and personal accounts it seems almost ven more inhumane than the surgical procedure. I mean, uncontrollable vomiting, contractions, intense bleeding and it can last for days? With no relief? No way.

So after researching some more, I decided that IV sedation sounded like the best option. Not all places offer this and even though I live in unite a large and well known city, I had to drive two hours away to a clinic that offers the sedation. This was such an excellent facility. I was so freaked out just to be there, with the memory of my further abortion haunting me. I discussed all my fears and previous experience with a nurse (who actually cared and was concerned) and the doctor came in and met me briefly as well. God bless this guy, he was a 65ish guy with a beard like Santa Claus. They explained the process to me and the sedation, then I was off to the surgery room. Once inside I was more nervous and cried a bit, but the nurses were cool and told me that most of them had been in my shoes before. Nice to know. I was given the IV (I'd never had an IV before) saw the ceiling ripple, and was pretty much out. I have some strange memories that may or may not be real, because afterwards I was imaging things and then realizing I was falling in and out of sleep, but I think that the Talking Heads or Bowie was playing during surgery...

So the point is, I didn't feel and don't really remember anything from the "conscious" sedation other than David Bowie and being rolled into recovery in a wheelchair, because I was still sleepy/woozy/knocked out. I did not get sick from the medication. I did eat a banana after the surgery which probably helped settle my stomach so that I could eat a full meal. (you can't eat or drink for a least 8 hours before the IV sedation). I am home now in bed, feeling quite pleasant. No cramps as of now but I am expecting some tomorrow. Still no pain either. Overall, a great and completely non-scarring experience. Hope my story can help someone else. I hope that no women continue to have abortions like my first experience, and that today's experience becomes the norm.
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
I have had to abortions in my life, one 7 years ago and one this afternoon. My first was a surgical abortion and today I went through a medical abortion. I just want to share my experience and hopefully someone might find this helpful.

I should point out I live in QLD Australia (the laws are slightly different in each state). With the surgical I went in for an appointment which included speaking to a councellor and then a nurse weighed me asked a few questions then explained the procedure. Next the actual surgeon explained the procedure and asked again if I was sure. I remember being put under in the surgery room and next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery room. No pain, just felt like I had my period. I went home and slept for an hour and then I was fine. Bleeding was light for a week.

The medical abortion was the same with speaking to a councellor and then a doctor this time. The doctor did warn me the pain would be severe for some people and advised me to take nurofen plus. I took a tablet yesterday at her office and another 4 today. Within 30mins I had severe abdominal pains that would come in waves. I was crying from pain and writhering in my bed. Then I started vomitting (only just made it to the toilet). The doctor kept repeating yesterday that there was a 24hr help line and I would have called it if I could have let go of my stomach. After about 30 long mins the stabbing pain started getting less intense and stopped after 1hr 15 mins. Now 7 hours later it just feels like I have had my period.

I don't plan to have another abortion but I would advise people that in my situation a surgical was less painful. Also with a medical make sure you have a place to go that you can scream and cry.... Not to good if you wanted to keep it personal and lived in a share house. But also make sure you have access to help if you need it. I went through Marie Stopes intl. They were very understanding.
|

replied November 27th, 2011
I had a medical abortion on wednesday. I am from the UK but also went to Marie Stopes, who were excellent.

I have to agree, it was the most painful experience of my life. I could feel every contraction. I ended up fainting on the toilet with the pain. But that worst bit only lasted about 2 hours and then it is just like bad period pain. I would recommend taking plenty of pain killers.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
my posotive account of abortion - please read!
i am 16, 5" and 100lb. they dont come much smaller than me! i read loads of terrifying stories about abortion, and roumers such as the smaller you are the more painful and long the procedure and healing is etc. i must state that my origional plan was not to abort, but due to medical difficulties it was my only option and may have potentially saved my life.

i would like to give my account and put many people's mind at ease.

After taking my 1st tablet on wednesday, i went to spend the day on the 'day ward' (termination ward) at the RVI in newcastle, the nurses were friendly and put me in bed, answered any questions i had then gave me 4 tablets which then are inserted vaginally. i was advised to lie for 20 minutes after these tablets but then could freely walk about the hospital. i was lucky, many of the women on my ward had to get the tablet vaginally and orally because the termination procedure was not working as fast as it should. But within the 1st two hours it was all over for me. i wont lie, after the 1st hour i was uncompfortable, not in 'pain' as such, but the form of pain where you do not know where to place yourself, such as a period pain or light food poisioning. so i sat on the ard toilet for 40 minutes because that is where i felt most comfortable. strange, i know. i retrned to lie in bed and with the pain killers given i was able to have an hours sleep. i woke up slightly drained of energy but after a sandwich and some coffee i was back to my normal self. within the next 15 minutes i had (to my total embarrasment) bled through my jeans and on the sheets and from there the nurse took me to the toilet, told me to do a little push and there it was, strange at 1st because i stupidly looked down wondering what had just left my body. but it wasnt as scary sight as you'd imaging it to be. after that i had a slow walk around, after 2 hours of being monetered i was allowed to go home. when arriving home, aulthough i planned not too, it was hard not to take things easy, i felt physically fine but tired out easily. now, two weeks later, there is no blood, no pains, i still have slightly swollen breasts but they're gradually settling.

abortion is a hard experience, i HAD to do it, i couldnt imagine the mental guild of anyone doing it by choice but i fully support the decision.

anyone in this situation shouldnt worry at all, yes, without lying, it wasnt the most pleasant procedure, but the pain is not as bad as alot of these sites state, and if you are one of the unlucky ones, remember the pain will only last 15 minutes at the most and means that it is all nearly over.

i hope this has helped anyone scaring themselves to death with some of the bollocks on the internet! just remember you are never in this alone!

much luck!

xx
|

replied December 17th, 2012
I hope this helps... My medical abortion.
Hi,
I recently had a medical abortion and was desperately searching the internet for the two weeks I was still pregnant and awaiting my appointment. I found it very hard to find information on exactly what was going to take, not to mention being distressed by the miss-placed and frankly rude comments left by pro life people on all sorts of forums when i was seeking information on what was about to happen to my body. After all the steps this weekend and the actual induction of the miscarriage, my partner suggested I share my experience so there was more info out there for women anticipating the procedure. I have Kaiser insurance in America, so I made an appointment by phone the day I found out I was pregnant, after talking with the father regarding our options (which as much as I would love to and eventually plan on having a lovely family it simply is not in the cards for us right now) I had a medical abortion which started with the doctor's visit on Friday and the first pill administered in hospital. We went to the OB/Gyn center and we seen for an exam with a vaginal ultrasound (not expecting that) where the timeline of the pregnancy was determined to see if I was eligible for the pills. I was given the mifepristone to stop the embryo from further developing in my body. I had a quick blood draw in clinic to determine my blood type and RH factor for my next pregnancies (to be in my medical record) and actually rode bike home to rest after absorbing all the information provided. I was given a five day supply of antibiotics to prevent infection as well as a Norco script for pain and the Misoprostol to take in the next 24 to 72 hours to induce contractions. The next day we waited a little more than twenty four hours, getting things for dinner and nausea, pads for bleeding and comfy pajamas to rest. I cheecked the pills (two in each cheek like a chipmunk) for an hour while the meds dissolved and then swallowed the chaulky remnants with lots of water. I also had taken two of the Norocos right before putting the medication in my cheeks so the pain meds would be absorbed and effective. In about an hour I noticed some spotting and the cramping began. I felt most comfortable with my knees up in bed with some trip to the toilet as the clots were passing, it seemed kind of intuitive to let the clots pass. After about two hours I threw up the sandwich and soup I ate before taking the meds. I only threw up twice in a row and felt much better after. The cramps intensified in the next hour or so and I cried and moaned in bed with the support of my partner, I also ended up taking more ibprofen and Noroco during this time to deal with the pain. I was uncomfortable, worse than normal period cramps, but seemed like something I could power through with support. I felt like my body was prepared for this since miscarriage is a natural process, even though this time it was medically induced. On Sunday we slept in, made breakfast and rested all day, I only experienced normal period cramps occasionally that day, took one Noroco mid afternoon. Monday I am back to work 7:30 am with a pad to collect blood, as I expect I will be needing for the next week or so. All in all, as scared as I was about this whole process, and with the actual discomfort on Saturday night from (6pm to 1:30 am)it seems I have made it through the storm. So as long winded of a report I have left with you, I hope this helps and good luck on making your decisions and taking care of your self. I WILL be starting the pill this Sunday, because it is NOT an experience I am looking forward to having ever again, but it did happen and I am OK.
|
Tags: abort
Quick Reply