Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Well this problem isn't at all major and in fact I haven't had to deal with it in years until today.

Basically, I went for a bike ride this afternoon. It was quite warm out, but i'm near the ocean and it was very windy. After about fifteen or twenty minutes, even though the wind was relatively warm, my ears were killing me. The pain was around the inside and also along the top part of my outer ear, almost the way it feels when your ears get really cold and start aching in the wintertime, only my ears were warm to touch. Basically, I had to stop and wait about half an hour for the pain to subside. Now that the pain has gone away, they still feel kind of hollow...

Why?!?! I don't have hearing problems and i'm also pretty yuong (23). Does anyone know what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Schreibey
|

replied July 19th, 2005
Wind Hurts Your Ears
I cannot tell you why, but I have the same problem. I put a small piece of cotton (one cotton ball split in quarters) in my ears befor I go out to exercise on any day that is cool, or windy. It completely took care of the problem for me!
|

replied July 31st, 2010
Aching related to sinus problems?
My ears always ache when I am outside and it is windy or I am jogging/ riding my bike. It is so bad that my neck and jaw will start to ache. It has been like this all my life. I have always had sinus problems, including infections, sinus headaches and allergies. My ears go into extreme pain on airplanes and when I go underwater. I always assumed that all of these were related to my sinus's being whacked. The cotton thing is a good idea! I usually wear a wool cap.
|

replied August 30th, 2010
aching ears and jaw
I rode my bike the other night, after about 20 minutes my ears and jaw were aching so bad I had to stop. I tried again last night with toilet paper stuffed in my ears but still suffered from the pain. I also have a deviated septum, not sure if this contributes to the pain or because it was a little windy. What can be the cause of this? I love riding my bike, I think it's the best form of exercise.
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
ear and jaw ache in the wind
Same thing for me. I get horrible ear and jaw pain in the wind, even if it's not that windy. I carry earplugs with me at all times in case I need to walk outdoors more than a couple of blocks. On top of that I wear a good ear-covering headband whenever I run or ride my bike. (At bike stores you can get such a headband made of lightweight fabric that really keeps the wind out.) I too am curious about the cause.
|
Users who thank fourquarts for this post: VeeJay 

replied May 11th, 2012
I have the sae problem and have tried cotton, hats regular headbands, and nothing helps that much. I'm going to try that headband you mentioned that you got from a bike store. I don't know the cause but I do know that I have eustachian tube dysfunction and get pain from flying,etd so maybe this wind pain is related.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
Earaches
Obviously there are many contributing factors to the problems of Headaches, Ear Aches and Sore Throats etc. I myself have been suffering with headaches and earaches for many years. I finally went to a doctor about the constant earaches but got a clean bill of health, but no advice on how to resolve the issue. My earaches seemed to be prompted by the slightest breeze blowing on my ears. I always got an earache if I developed a head ache. I finally determined what was causing both of my symptoms. I am extremely sensitive to CAFFINE. I used to think that as long as I avoided coffee I would be OK. But I now know that anything with caffeine in it has a detrimental affect on me. As long as I religiously avoid all food and drinks that have caffeine in them - no more headaches or earaches. I am assuming that this is an allergic reaction to a substance that my body is sensitive too. I hope that relating this information will possibly help many other sufferers of these debilitating symptoms. My quality of life has improved so much since I came to realize what was causing the symptoms. I hope it helps you too. Good health to you.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
I'm 48 and I have the same bad ear ache problem from wind and it will bring up bad headache shortly, since I was in high school. Yes, even slightly cool wind can do it. I also carry a head band all the time. I have sinus for 20 years, not 30. I want to know the cause. Does the size or shape of my ears contribute anything to it?
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
Earaches from the wind
I have had the same problem all my life. As an adult, I had vestibular neuronitis and now have tinnitus. I am 58. I always have to wear a hat or earband and in the summer, I wear a sweatshirt with a hood because I feel stupid wearing a winter hat! I know that I have very small ear canals (ear pods won't even stay in my ears.) I'd love to know what causes this!!
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
HI, I just found this forum and your post. I have the exact same issues, am the same age and had vestibular neuronitis. I am having an awful time still with wind and residual symptoms, too. I am glad I am not alone. Thanks for your post.
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
HI, I have the same problem. I am the same age and had vestibular neuronitis. It left me with residual symptoms. Tinnitus and also visual issues at times. But today I walked and had a headband and a hood. My ears canals still feel like they are on fire. Thanks for your post. I just found this forum. I am glad I am not alone.
|

replied October 9th, 2012
I'm assuming my ear problems are genetic. My parents (especially dad) have always had ear issues. I know for sure that caffeine has nothing to do with my condition since I strictly avoid caffeine and all those crappy foods. It doesn't matter for me if it's 100 degrees or 0 degrees out. As long as its windy, I'm in hell. I've tried cotton balls, ear wax (for swimming), and earmuffs/headbands. I also have very bad earaches on airplanes (ascending and descending).

It's so annoying always having ear problems!!
|

replied October 9th, 2012
Earaches in the wind
Seems no one can tell us why, although there are lots of us. My daughter has the same problems.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Earches Caused by Wind and/or Cold Weather
Painful cold weather earaches are caused by a change in the air pressure within the part of the ear called the Eustachian tube (also known as the auditory tube). The Eustachian tube is the channel between your outer ear and the inner ear. Most of the time, it remains closed off, until you create a muscular force that prompts it to open. So, when air pressure changes because of a sudden shift in temperature (like going outside on a chilly day) or adjustment in atmosphere (such as taking off in a plane) the air trapped in the middle ear becomes less dense than the air outside, resulting in pressure within the very sensitive inner ear -which you experience as that awful cold weather ear pain! However, wind of any temperature can cause ear pain, not just cold wind.

A towel soaked in hot water can bring needed relief. Alternatively, a hot water bottle may be used by reclining your head on the bottle as if it were a pillow may ease the pain. Microwavable gel packs are another form of relief. Webmd.com suggests the use of a heating pad on a low setting, as the heat may additionally cause earwax to melt away. Do not use a heating pad for a child. Doctor's assistance should be sought if ear pain is severe or continues for more than 48 hours. If you notice blood, puss, redness or swelling in the ear, or sense dizziness or any hearing loss, you should seek medical help. The symptoms may be sign of a serious infection.
|

MamaAubry: That is the best info I have received (thought it won't stop the pain while I'm in the park on a hot, windy summer day. Smile) It goes away when I get home after 15-20 minutes. However, I am the type of person who needs to know the "WHY" of things, so this is amazing info.
Thanks!
|

MamaAubry: That is the best info I have received (thought it won't stop the pain while I'm in the park on a hot, windy summer day. Smile) It goes away when I get home after 15-20 minutes. However, I am the type of person who needs to know the "WHY" of things, so this is amazing info.
Thanks!
|

replied May 12th, 2013
Painful car ride
After a 20 minute ride in the car with the windows down my ears began to ache. Sometime in the middle of the night it woke me up but I fell right back asleep. Today my ear aches, my glands in my neck are tender and there's a small pea sized lump on my jaw that hurts. All on the side exposed to the wind. This has happened before but the lump is new and disconcerting. I'll let you guys know how the doctor appointment goes when I finally Getty seen.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 16th, 2014
I get pain on my earlobes in wind or cold and I always think its because when I was little we lived in a very cold snowy winter area, and I think my ear lobes probably froze a little. I think it may be nerve damage from that. I don't think its the inside part of my ear, as when I rub my earlobes it goes away for awhile while if im walking (bareheaded)
|

replied April 24th, 2014
Ears hurt when outside in the wind
I started using the EARPLANE plugs that you use for flying and they seem to help a lot without blocking out all of the sound so you can still be aware of your surroundings.
|

replied February 10th, 2015
Ear ache
I have been having daily earaches/toothaches for like 5 months now along with migraines. I have been to a neurologist and they believe it could possible be due to Trigeminal Neuralgia. The neuro even referred me to an ENT. He said my ears looked normal. The ear drops I've been using for pain help only temporarily. Doctors do not know if this earache is caused by the Trigeminal nerve or the toothache? No clue. Can anyone help?? At the end of my rope! : (
|

replied March 11th, 2015
Ear pain caused by wind
To all of you with ear pain when in the wind whether it is cold or not...I saw an ENT for the terrible pain in my ears when subjected to any wind. He told me a lot of his patients have pain and there is nothing he can do for it. He mentioned that I was cleaning too much wax out of my ears. (Wax is what protects your ears from the wind.) On my way home, I was pretty mad that a doctor has no desire to help his patients. I thought about the cleaning the wax out of my ears and realized that I never had any wax in my ears to clean out. I went online to see what can make ear wax. I found that chewing vigorously makes ear wax. I started chewing gum vigorously while driving, and now I am producing ear wax and no longer have ear pain. Hope this helps.
|

replied September 5th, 2016
After years of eareaches (still counting) and some visits to different ENTs, I hope to help you with what I figured out:
I'm sorry to conclude after years that there is no real 'cause' that can be threated. I think we all have 'sensitive' ears (or the cheeck bone beneath). They are sensitive to cold (cover them up warmly, I know it looks ridiculous in summer), to touch = wind (cover them) but also to excercise: more blood in there means it all gets a bit swollen and even more sensitive. No solution for that yet.
Then there's the eustachian tube, that is for some off you clogged up (the ones that suffer in planes and under water as well), for others it can clog because of increased blood supply do to excercise. Luckily, a solution for this: you can force them open by closing your mouth and nose and blow, you will hear them pop or click. Same effect by yawning, swallowing or moving your ears. Get trained: you'll find the muscle and then you can do it without pulling strange faces.
Why are we sensitive: a lot of us got it in there teens, others after an infection. Something got oversensitive.
I have 2 daughters: one screams when I gently pull her hair to comb it, the other one doesn't even react when I would tear it out. Different people, built differently.
Some more 'proof': I am also sensitive to earwax build-up (every 2 to 4 weeks). I need to clean my ears or I die from pain. One ear even swells when I put in the cleaning stick, I can get in once and better do it good, because afterwards the ear channel is so swollen that I can't get in it anymore. The gland under my ear reacts as well. What will help when the gland gets swollen is to tear hard to the earlobe untill it 'cracks', what a pain relieve! But it doesn't seem entirely okay for the ear.
Anyone that has the sensitive ears in combination with throat-ache every morning when just a little tired or when your immune system is under attack? And after some minutes hard painly mucus comes out of the back of the nose?
Two other causes for permanent pain in ears-jaw-throat: - caries: a whole can be hidden between 2 teeth where bacteria have acces to your 'inside'. I figured out after I had a wisdom teeth removed, after years of cheeckpain from stress or tiredness, finally got that solved!
- infected tonsils: you see them swollen when you open your mouth in front of a mirror, when you push them with something hard, white stuff may come out. It goes together with bad breathe. Go and get them removed.
Hoped I helped, and sorry for the windy earache... guess covering them is the only solution.
|
Quick Reply