I wanted to reduce the fat on my chest and basically trim it down. I asked a couple of friends for advice and one of them told me to use lighter weights and more sets while another told me to use heavier weights and fewer sets. Who should I listen to???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 24th, 2005
They are both completely wrong. It doesn't matter how much you work one area, the fat will never dissapear. Only diet and exercise will do that. But once the fat is gone, the fun begins :twisted: I would reccomend lots of pushups, but do them with your hands wide if you want to work your chest.
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Experienced User
It depends.

If you grew up with a lot of fat reserves chances are you had high amounts of estrogen in your body during puberty. If you find your chest is a bit "pointy" or "saggy" then this is not just fat, it's actual breast tissue. Unfortunately there is no perminant solution for removing this other than surgery. This condition is known as gynecomastia. Many men suffer from this, it's usually very light, although some men will develop full breast tissue and be required to had it surgerically cut out. There are things you can do to temporarily tighten this area, in the case of gyncomastia you will need heavy weight, low reps. (low weight / high reps is for reducing fat.)

however, if this is something that has recently popped up, perhaps you gained quite a bit of weight, and now you're trying to lose it, then it's likely fat, and you'll need to the low weight / high reps, and some cardio to help target your chest and reduce fat.

Justin
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....