Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss.... Will I Need It??

Hi. I am hoping someone can help me with this... I am currently overweight and am working on trying to lose this weight through both diet and exercise and am getting conflicting information on whether or not I will need to have plastic surgery after I have lost all the weight that I want to lose.
Right now I weigh 260 lbs and am hoping to get down to around 130-140 lbs.. Which I am told would be my ideal weight for both my height 5'7" and my build. I have had one child and gained most of my weight during and after my pregnancy.
I have from my own definition... Excess fat on both my abdomen and my upper arms... Which to be honest... I hate. I'm hoping that through moderate diet and regular exercise that these will both go away but people have been telling me because I am at least 100 lbs overweight I will definitely need to have plastic surgery done to get rid of the excess skin and fat... Is this true??
Its causing me a lot of stress and is making me feel almost hopeless as far as trying to lose weight because what's the point in losing this weight if i'm going to be left with an excess unsightly amount of loose hanging flesh. I know how this may sound ... But I just need to know... Will I definitely need to have this plastic surgery done?
I'm a single parent who's currently just trying to survive day by day and if I need plastic surgery its doubtful I will ever be able to afford to have it done.
Anyways.. Anyone.. Please help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2003
Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss.... Will I Need It??
Hi there,
i am no expert, but I have gone through exactly the same story as you are, so here is what I can say based on my personal experience.
I was 240 pounds, hated it and decided to lose weight. I exercised, dieted and made my way through to 130 pounds that I am now.
The problem is: I have lots of excessive skin on my belly, breasts and upper arms with streach marks all over my body, like on the back sides of my knees, shoulders, etc. And also, the rest of my skin doesn't look healthy, I mean it doesn't have the elasticity like it used to.
So, I am going to have a breast lift this spring, then probably next winter a tummy tuck. I would also like to have the bat wing reduction to remove the excessive skin and streach marks from my arms. But this will probably be well beyond my financial means. Anyways, for the two coming surgeries I am looking at somewhat $11,000. And the scars will be permanent and visible.
So, my advice. Try to reduce your weight, but don't go down as much as I did. You are about 260 pounds? Try to get to 180 pounds or so, and try to keep it stable for a while to see how your body and skin is taking it. And use moisturisers and strech mark creams.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
el
|

replied November 25th, 2003
Experienced User
It all depends in the elasticity of your skin. Each and every person is different. You will not know for sure until you lose the weight. But don't be discouraged! Lose it anyway for health reasons, ya know? Plus, once you start to lose it you will feel great, whether your skin is kinda loose or not!
|

replied January 29th, 2004
It all depends on your skin, your age, etc. I lost 130# and had a tummy tuck. I had my covered 100% through my insurance. Lots of surgeons are real good about getting things like this covered (they know all the ins and outs). Just begin to lose the weight and you will feel better. I give you credit for losing the weight on your own.
|
Quick Reply