Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Why Can't People With Lupus Donate Blood?

Once my doctor diagnosed me with lupus, he said that I will no longer be able to donate blood. I have searched the internet for the actual reason that people with lupus can't donate but can't seem to find an explanation. Since it is not contagious and can't be passed from one person to the next... It is confusing. Does anyone know the actual reason or explanation? Just curious... Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! It is just the type of disease that it is! Be thankful that it cannot be! Wouldn't it be great if aids could not be passed on, among other things.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied June 17th, 2005
I was told the same thing. Also, my aunt used to donate regularly. After awhile, the blood bank called and said, "you have some strange antibodies in your blood... We'd prefer if you didn't donate anymore." she found that odd. After a little research I formed a bit of a hypothesis. People who have or are carriers of autoimmune disorders may have aggressive antibodies in their blood. In a transfusion situation, these antibodies (that can't always tell the difference between invading cells and healthy native tissue) could be a potential hazard. Also, if you have an autoimmune disorder, there are a number of things that can exacerbate the situation. Stress, lack of sleep, etc. Can cause trouble. I would assume that blood loss could as well.

It's just my guess...

--oak
|

replied March 15th, 2019
Donating Blood & Lupus
There are 2 reasons. First, people that have lupus should not donate as it lowers your blood count and your body could have a reaction to such a loss. Second, one way doctors test for lupus is through blood work, so that alone is enough of a reason as you would infect whoever you gave it to. Hope that helps.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....