I am now 73 years old and am certain that I have never contracted mumps.
I have been in contact with someone who has today been diagnosed with mumps.
My question is, can I still catch mumps at this late age, or have I built up a natural resistance to the disease
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2005
Mumps
My sister has recently caught mumps so I have done some research. Being 70 odd years does not build up a natural immuity im afraid. To be immune you must have experienced this virus before i.E you must have had mumps before or had the vaccine.

The mumps virus is spread through infected saliva. If you had a limited contact with this person it is unlikely you will get it ( just my opinion) it is spread through sneezing and coughing.

I hope this helps, you may also like to know that if you have been infected you will not get ill for about two weeks, if all goes well and you are fine, get an mmr vaccine done.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Experienced User
I'm a former public health nurse. It's assumed that people born before 1970 have developed a natural immunity to it. This comes from being exposed to people who have mumps repeatedly over time. So you may or may not have immunity. If you have certain health issues that compromise your immune system the MMR may not be safe as it is a live vaccine. Check with your primary health physician. Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...