Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Carbetrol Being Discontinued!

Hi everyone, I am new to this board. My name is lori. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had to suddenly replace their carbetrol or tegretol xr for a generic brand and if they had any trouble making the switch. I went to the pharmacy to get my meds yesterday and I was told that shire is stopped making carbetrol and it's being discontinued. I thought they would atleast give people a warning before doing this, but I guess not. So I hope if anyone here on carbetrol has read this and doesn't get surprised at the last minute like I did.

<hugs>
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Some people can have problems switching from the name brand to generic. You can have the doctor write daw (dispense as written I think that is)......

I have not heard of them discontinuing this med. I would call another pharmacy and your neuro to confirm this...

You are right, they should contact you since many have problems with switching suddenly. Other people do fine going to generics....
|

replied July 13th, 2008
carbetrol discontinued
I have also been told that this drug is being discontinued by CVS pharmacies and the pharmacists at the hospital I work at. They've stated that they think this is an issue of supply and demand...not enough demand. This doesn't suprise me. I've been taking this drug for over 12 years and I've never used a pharmacy that would stock this medication due to not enough people take it. They always had to order on demand for me. I'm not looking forward to the transition back to generic because while it worked for me, it didn't work as well for me. I'm also not looking forward to that midday dose that I'll have to start remembering again!
|

replied August 9th, 2009
My doctor switched me from carbamazepin (tegretol) to carbatrol (tegretolXR) because of the problems w/generic tegretol and they didn't make a generic XR. Now the patent has run out and generic carbatrol is being manufactured and distributed. I still get TegretolXR from my pharmacy, cuz the DR. ordered it and not the generic, but my sister has made the switch to generic w/ no effects YET. All I know is the generic tegretol caused alot of problems w/ me and others I knew, especially in the 80's and 90's. If the generic carbatrol has the same problems as generic carbamazepin, then I say pay the extra for the brand. Contrary to what they say, NOT ALL generics are the same as brand. But then, what do I know other than the fact I've been taking Tegretol and XR for 26 yrs. Get the name brand!
|

replied August 15th, 2012
I was just told by my daughter's pharmacist that they can no longer get her name brand Tegretol because it is being discontinued. So, I search the internet and found that Novarus, the corporate manufacturer has suspended production of some of it's product line due to generic competition. Not sure when it will take place or for how long the suspension will be. I read it in a Securities and Exchange Report to the U.S. Securities Commission. My daughter just does not do as well on the generic drug for her epilepsy.
|
Tags: Epilepsy, meds
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....