Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Dynesys / Dynesis - Spinal Surgery (Page 1)

Any one got any feed-back on this surgical procedure? Recovery rates / pain relief etc. My wife has been recommended this by her surgeon instead of spinal fusion, as it's less invasive and allows the patient to retain spinal movement. Our medical insurer however, is refusing funding as it is deemed to be an unproven procedure (no clinical trials completed). Any one help with any info'
we are uk based, and our insurer (bupa) is one of biggest in country. Needless to say we're not impressed with them at the moment.
All the best, pops
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Re. Bupa And Dynesys
Hi pops, in reply to your message, I had the dynesys system fitted at l4 level and cigna paid for it but I can remember my consultant saying that bupa and ppp will not pay for it as it is deemed "too new". What he did say was that if cigna would not pay for the dynesys system then the other alternative he would use is a metal artificial disc with a kind of "moving center" thingy which he uses if dynesys is unsuitable or insurers will not pay.

If you can get bupa to pay then I would recommend it; I haven't noticed any relief in back or leg pain yet after 4 months but to be fair I had the dynesys fitted at l4 and in the same procedure had an l5/s1 fusion including bone graft so apparently this level of pain is to be expected after having a few procedures during one operation. My x-rays do show that the dynesys has started to slightly increase the gap between the vertebrae, therefore releasing the disc slightly - which is good apparently!

Good luck and I hope your wife gets some relief - I should try and kick up a fuss with bupa if I were you and tell them that other insurers are paying for this system.

Cheers.
|

replied June 29th, 2005
Dynesys / Dynesys Surgery
Rolfie
thanks for the post, a few questions if it's ok please.
You said you had dynesys 4 months ago, was that in uk, if so where?
How are you doing, hows your recovery, what after-care/physio have you had?
Who / what is cigna, is that your insurance, is=f so are they uk and can you supply details. Have been back to bupa with evidence of fda approval in the usa. On-going clinical trials in uk, and investigations by nice organisation (work in partnership with our nhs) - all to no avail, bupa still not prepared to fund so we're having to do it ourselves (and its not cheap).
Any info on your insurers would help thanks .
Good luck with recovery, can I suggest that you have a look on back pain support group site? Some excellent people on there who've been through it, got the t-shirt and are prepared to share their own individual experiences.
Thanks again pops (cheshire england)
|

replied June 29th, 2005
Re. Re. Dynesys
Hi pops,

yes, I am based in the uk and had my surgery in enfield, middlesex. Cigna are based in scotland and I have insurance through my workplace but I assume they also provide private insurance.

Re. Recovery and aftercare, I had the surgery in march and am still in a lot of pain. Signed off work as I have a sedentary job. I haven't had any physio as I also had a spinal fusion at the level below and while the fusion is forming they don't like you to bend/twist so all I am doing is laying down instead of sitting, doing a lot of walking, and generally resting if I have pain. I am feeling a lot better than I was just after the op though; beware, it's painful!!! However, they did give me a morphine pump which was very helpful! But don't let that put you off; better to have a lot of short term pain if it helps in the long run I think, and i've had back problems for 13 years.

I think if one was to have just the dynesys without the fusion, bone graft etc. That I had, the recovery is much quicker and also much less painful. I don't think physio would be recommended in the first 3 months though as you have to allow time for the vertebrae bones to knit around the screw/implant parts of the dynesys.

Hope that helps!
Cheers.
|

replied August 22nd, 2005
Dynesys
I too have been advised that I need to have dynesys but that bupa will not cover the cost as there is no evidence to support that it works.
I have been told to get my doctor to refer me to my consultant via the national health so that I can be put on their waiting list. But that will be approx a year, and as I have been struggling with chronic back and leg pain for 5 years now, I don't think I can last that long.
Has anyone taken the matter further with bupa and can anyone give me a rough idea of the costs involved if I pay for it myself.
Many thanks.
|

replied August 22nd, 2005
Dynesys Does Work
Hi sam67

well, I can assure you that dynesys does work as my pre-op x-rays show no gap between l4 and l5 where the disc was practically squashed flat. My x-rays taken 4 months after the op show a significant gap where the dynesys has decompressed the squashed disc and my leg pain has gone. So for me it certainly has worked. The fusion at the level below, however, still isn't showing any signs of growing and recovery is very slow from that half of the operation (i had the two procedures done at the same time).

Re. Cost, i'd hate to think how much it would be if you self funded; I pay 10% of my costs and my bill for the week in hospital was over £11,000. Although that was for the hospital stay itself and I was in longer than you'd need to be for just dynesys with no fusion and bone graft, so it would probably be less than that.

Hope that's of some help - good luck!
|

replied September 20th, 2005
Dynesis Stabilisation
Hello pop

i had dynesis stabilization at the l5 in december 2003. I am still suffering. Make sure you get all the info prior to the op. It hurts like hell and you could end up having to use crutches for some months.

I have been left with l5 innervation in my right leg and some upper thorasic muscle spasms. It can be a long haul, so consider all options.
|

Re. Dynesys Stabilisation
Hi edwelsh,

sorry to hear you're still suffering. As opposed to the 6-12 week recovery time my consultant told me about before the op, last week he said it would be more like 2 years to fully recover. D'oh!

I'm still suffering very nervy lumbar pain, awful pain and sensitivity on the bone graft site for my fusion, and a weak and numb left leg/foot. Funny how they don't tell you these things beforehand :-)

out of interest, what's "l5 innervation"?

Take it easy,
rolfie
|

Dynesis
Rolfie

l5 innervation, part of your leg and foot go numb. You have decreased funtion in foot elevation and control of your big and second toe.

|

replied October 17th, 2005
Re: Dynesys / Dynesis - Spinal Surgery
pops wrote:
any one got any feed-back on this surgical procedure? Recovery rates / pain relief etc. My wife has been recommended this by her surgeon instead of spinal fusion, as it's less invasive and allows the patient to retain spinal movement. Our medical insurer however, is refusing funding as it is deemed to be an unproven procedure (no clinical trials completed). Any one help with any info'
we are uk based, and our insurer (bupa) is one of biggest in country. Needless to say we're not impressed with them at the moment.
All the best, pops
hi I had dynesis l4/l5 four weeks ago and im doing well ive had physio in the hydro pool five times and this week im starting physio on land as they say. The pain is a lot less now so I would advice it.
|

replied November 8th, 2005
I have just been put on the wating list for dynesis surgery without spinal fusion. I am due to have 8 screws put in from l5/s1, l4/5, l3/4. I prolapsed 4 discs 3 and a half years ago and have tried to manage with chiroprctaic treatment ilates etc. I have scaled my work down and have pai daily. I would like to hear from soemne who has just had dynamic stabilisation wihtout fusion anyone out there
|

replied November 21st, 2005
Dynesis
Hi there

i'm due to have 2 discs stabilised with a dynesis op on dec 7th, any last minute advice from anyone who has had just dynesis without bone fusion would be appreciated. I'm 47, active and fit but have struggled with lower back pain for twenty years and assumed there was nothing I could do about it. Been offered dynesis and it sounds good but i'm getting anxious now. Hope to hear some experiences, good or bad

regards

kevin, melksham, uk
|

replied December 2nd, 2005
Re: Dynesis
Hi there kevin ive had dynesis l4/l5 on 15th september I suffered siatic pain in both legs the surgery really isnt that bad when I woke up I was in a lot of pain but the morphine pump helped I had 2 drains in my back which made it a little uncomfy within 2 days I was out off bed walking round and the leg pains had completly gone and on day 3 I was in the hydro pool im still having physio but im a lot better than I was just remember to take all your pain killers weather the pain is there or not and dont over do it afterwards as im just finding out now.
|

replied December 4th, 2005
Dynesis
Hi lofty

thanks so much for the feedback, my ops on wednesday and hearing you're doing ok was great. Im having mine done by mr fogg at swindon great western hospital, as you're from swindon do you mind me asking who did yours please? If you want to reply in a private e-mail please do.

Thanks again and good luck

kevin
|

replied December 13th, 2005
Booked In For Dynesis
Hi, I am booked in to have this op in the new year, just spinal stabilisation of l4 l5. The consultant is very thrifty with information and after reading this site I am beginning to feel anxious and nervy. I have experienced back pain for 25 years of varying degrees and over the last couple of years, due to wear and tear and other general factors e.G. Age/sex - pre-menopausal female, my pain has become progressively worse.

The pain is not totally debilitating and generally I can manage it by abstaining from physical activities, strong painkillers, tens machine and use of mctimoney practitioner (i dread to think of the £000's I have spent over the years).

Could you give me some idea of the extent of your pain pre-op and what activities it affected as I am beginning to have second thoughts? Also what was the recovery period and what rehabilitation did you go through? I have the occupational therapists coming round to change my bed/toilet/chairs in the next week or so in preparation.

Hope to hear from you soon. Ann.
|

replied December 16th, 2005
Dynesys.
lotusjen wrote:
i have just been put on the wating list for dynesis surgery without spinal fusion. I am due to have 8 screws put in from l5/s1, l4/5, l3/4. I prolapsed 4 discs 3 and a half years ago and have tried to manage with chiroprctaic treatment ilates etc. I have scaled my work down and have pai daily. I would like to hear from soemne who has just had dynamic stabilisation wihtout fusion anyone out there

hi and good morning, my name is kelly, I had the "dynesys" dynamic stabilzation operation 13 weeks ago, the exact same locations as you are having, I suffered a long ime before the op and had a number of ops before this one.
Within 24 hours of having this operation I had ammediate relief from my severe pain symptoms, the leg pain had gone, pins and needles gone, I couldn't believe it!!! I was walking straight for the first time in 15 years!! I will be honest, the first 6 weeks were hell, thought it was the worst thing I had ever done, but I had the best after care at home from my husband, and kept my physio up and by week 7 I felt dramatic improvements.
Now I have all my independence back, and have been able to work for a few weeks.
The biggest thing i've noticed is the restriction of movement (leaning forward & backward) but i've adjusted to that now.
Remember, rest and good after care is the key.
I hope this info has helped. Any more info needed I will be pleased to help.
Regards kelly.
|

replied January 26th, 2006
[quote="kvesey"]

hi kev.

Had my dynesis "soft" fusion on 30 december - 3 levels, but mainly to stabilise l4/l5 disc which is shot. Before having it done - on nhs at a bupa hospital by the way- I was severely disabled with pain, mostly bedridden, unable to walk hardly, nor sit even. Had huge electric spasms as well as aching type of pain. Have been off work since july 2004 because of it.

Anyway, cutting out most of the story, my op was a success (i presume as I havent been back for follow up with consultant till 7 feb)- the physios are well happy with my extension and mobility already. I was a little surprised tho when she said the consultant had ok`d me to walk - but no further than 2 miles a day. 2 miles! And only 27 days from the surgery date!

So- I am sure you will be pleased to hear- I have just been for a half mile each way walk to the newsagents. Something I havent done for so many months. Yeh, ok it was bit uncomfortable, but there was no spasms and the recovery rate was within minutes after gettin home. Big smile the whole trip.

The swelling has gone down massively now- almost normal, and the pain levels dimished to the point that I take perhaps only 1 set of pain relief each day.

The op itself wasnt that bad - altho I take someone elses point on here about different horses/courses etc- I dont consider myself brave, butch or pain indifferent - but would comment that in all I didnt think it was that bad at all. In fact I was walking to the doorway of my room after 18 hours, walking down the corridor 48 hours and discharged on the afternoon of my 3rd day!

In essence therefore, I am overjoyed at the results of my own dynesis fusion- to think that more improvement is on its way just gives me total heart and a new incentive for living. Full of the joys of spring doesnt quite cover it (even in the depths of winter!)

so- take heart mate, this could be the best thing ever to happen to you- if this involves a temporary bit of pain, well hey, its worth it if it works out anything like mine.

Good luck - above anything else- stay positive!!

Regards

geoff b
|

replied April 5th, 2011
dynesys OP
hi geoff
I am living in Italy with my husband and he has a big problem.
can you say me which kind of pain did you have before the operation??? My husband will have this on 19 april. But we are not sure, because he has only backache without leg pains.
Can you tell me more about your symptoms?
|

[quote="kvesey"]hi kev
having just read your post again _ I see you actually had yours doen on 7th decembe!! Ooops silly me. So you are in front already and hopefully making great progress?

Hope my posting was of use to other members tho

regards

geoff b cheshire
|

Re: Dynesys / Dynesis - Spinal Surgery
[hi pops,

have just had dyneseys instrumentation fitted - for segments, but mainly to stabilise l4/l5 which is severley degenerative. Was done 30 december and had a fantastic recovery so far - evne tho its only 27 days since op!

Anyway, whilst my surgery was done on the nhs, it was on referal to a bupa hospital in warrington cheshire. The surgeon there being mr shackleford.

Kind of compromises their assertion to you that they dont do it then!

Dyneses has been around for some 12/14 years and is still developing admittedly, but shackleford tells me that he has fitted literally hundreds of them. Might be worth you contacting him for info?

Hospital - north cheshire hospital bupa, stretton nr warrington

good luck!

Regards

geoff b cheshire
|

replied February 5th, 2006
Here We Go Again..
I have a dynesis/dynesys op booked for mid may 06, southampton general with a mr boree. I find mr boree to be very methodical and informative after having to pay/borrow privatley for a second opinion from him after being frustrated with the n.H.S.
I had a graf ligament stabilisation l4-l5 in 01, had 10 good months relief then it slowly went down hill until the chap (mr alibone) at stanmore said it was pain management from now on and no more surgery could/would help.

2005... After suffering more pain that I thought possible plus trying to act "normal" on a daily basis I managed to pay for a second opinion. Mr boree asked for a bone scan and an up to date mri which revealed I had a hot spot (bone scan,screw come loose) and now another disc failure l5-s1(mri)
he wants to take out the offending screws and fit the dynesis to l4-l5, l5-s1.
Has anyone had this segment done?
Is there a better pain killer than red wine?, tylex just makes me sick!
Thanks,
carwyn
|