Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Schoolgirl Escapes Prison For Killing Newborn (Page 1)

'schoolgirl who punched her baby boy to death minutes after she secretly gave birth in her bedroom has avoided a jail sentence.

Lauren jayne curnow was 17 at the time of the killing and never told her family or friends she was pregnant, the victorian supreme court was told today.
Curnow, now 18, of the ballarat suburb of wendouree, pleaded guilty to one count of infanticide.

Justice bernard bongiorno sentenced her to a three-year good behaviour bond and ordered her to undertake counselling and other treatment under the directions of her psychologist.

Advertisement:
the teenager gave birth to a boy in her bedroom, cut the umbilical cord with scissors, punched the baby several times to the head, wrapped it in a towel and placed it beside her bed in august, last year, the court was told.

Justice bongiorno said some people who did not know all the facts of the case may believe the sentence did not punish her, but he said he did not believe she should go to jail.

"i am satisfied that the interest of the community and particularly the interest of you are best served by you becoming a useful member of society, certainly not by going to jail," he said.

"(your) punishment could be served without you having to serve more time in jail."

curnow's lawyer tony lewis told the court his client kept her pregnancy a secret because she was afraid of how her family and friends would respond.

"she kept that secret from not only her parents and also her friends ... She did so because of an underlying fear of losing the respect and love of her parents, and in particular her father," mr lewis said.

Mr lewis asked that curnow be released under a supervision order and said she had never been in trouble with the law before, she pleaded guilty at the earliest time and there was "powerful" evidence of her contrition.

Crown prosecutor jeremy rapke qc told the court the crown would not object to the sentence.'

just wondered what peoples opinions are on this news story.

replied May 23rd, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Yeah, I agree pc. I think that girl is a pure idiot.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 23rd, 2005
That story made me sick to my stomach. It's so horrible that words can hardly describe it. I just can't figure out how she could avoid jail? She murd. Ered a child!!

She is a very sick individual! Abortion is not illegal in australia from what I understand.
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
No termination is legal in wendouree so no excuses there.
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
[deleted due to being followed by a troll]
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
pcforme wrote:

none of our business. My profession is something I will not be giving out online. Too many fundies (like fb) that threaten pc'ers lives for me to give out personal information about myself.
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
Sickening! I don't think this girl should get away with murdering her baby. At her age, she would have been fully aware of her options, and pleading ignorance would be pitiful!! If her main concern was 'what are people going to think'....What are they going to think of her now?? Her reason for doing this was purely selfish, and in this country students are taught sex education as soon as they hit high school!! I hope it haunts her for the rest of her life!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
It seems to me that the girl really has some mental problems. What she did was wrong, yes, as there is so much help out there for young girls in trouble like this, families need to open up and communicate about things like this, things like this happening is why their needs to be a choice. I really hope she and her family do get the help they need!!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied May 31st, 2005
sandyallen wrote:
things like this happening is why their needs to be a choice.

she had choices and it still didn't keep it from happening.
|

replied June 1st, 2005
Wow
I think that is sick if any one of any age can do that to any child. And just a question...Couldn't someone tell she was pregnant? Parents didnt hear anything notice anything different in the 9 months? But any ways I believe she should of got an abortion but on the other hand I am only 17 and do not know how much one is or if you can get one without parental approval. So maybe she couldnt afford one but if I was her first off I would never be I could never harm a child, I would of found a way to end the pregnacy sooner. And I think she should serve some nice time in jail too.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Re: Schoolgirl Escapes Prison For Killing Newborn
pcforme wrote:
is abortion illegal where she lives? If not, why didn't she obtain an abortion if she didn't want to carry to term? I never understood stories like this.
:shock: so your solution is have the doctor murder the baby that would be much better,do you not see how sick that is??? :(
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
lisa4catholics wrote:
pcforme wrote:
is abortion illegal where she lives? If not, why didn't she obtain an abortion if she didn't want to carry to term? I never understood stories like this.
:shock: so your solution is have the doctor not a nice act the baby that would be much better,do you not see how sick that is??? :(
just because you don't like abortions, doesn't mean that they are sick. Certainly in this case, if she had an abortion instead, none of this would ever have happened.

But it is what we should expect as typical if radical pl get abortion restricted or prohibited, more desperate women willing to do just about anything to not remain pregnnat.

Kind of like the good old days that pl wants us to return to, with women dying right and left from illegal or self-inflicted abortions. That is what your kind wants, isn't it? You don't see *that* as sick at all, do you?
|

replied June 4th, 2005
steen wrote:
lisa4catholics wrote:
pcforme wrote:
:shock: so your solution is have the doctor not a nice act the baby that would be much better,do you not see how sick that is??? :(
just because you don't like abortions, doesn't mean that they are sick. Certainly in this case, if she had an abortion instead, none of this would ever have happened.

But it is what we should expect as typical if radical pl get abortion restricted or prohibited, more desperate women willing to do just about anything to not remain pregnnat.

Kind of like the good old days that pl wants us to return to, with women dying right and left from illegal or self-inflicted abortions. That is what your kind wants, isn't it? You don't see *that* as sick at all, do you?
killing people is sick,whether you want to admit it or not.The woman and the baby are equal in value.By the way abortion doesn't make you unpregnant it makes you the mother of a dead baby:(
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Steen
steen wrote:
but it is what we should expect as typical if radical pl get abortion restricted or prohibited, more desperate women willing to do just about anything to not remain pregnnat.

So now you are trying to blame pro-life for this,how can it be pro-lifes fault if she was able to obtain an abortion she still killed the child,so steen choice or no choice it will still happen.So stop shifting the blame onto pro-life.Steen she was not pregnant,she had done the nine months of slavery,as you call it,and then killed the child,so it was not because she didn't want to remain pregnant,so that argument is moot.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Blue--exactly what I think! And as I posted earlier...This girl had choices and it still didn't stop it from happening? How can pl be blamed for that? I think it's funny that steen seems to think that pl is to blame for everything. Killing kids and babies is not pl fault because noone has taken away anyone's right to *choice* it's still very much there and kids/babies are still very much getting killed.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
pcforme wrote:
lisa4catholics wrote:
so your solution is have the doctor not a nice act the baby that would be much better,do you not see how sick that is?

is this supposed to be english?
when someone takes intended words out of the message it might not look like it.
|

replied June 4th, 2005
When you try to type the word *mu*rder on this forum it looks like this

murder
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Experienced User
pcforme wrote:
mom2ty wrote:
so pc, you weren't human before you were born?

are you a human now? Christ on a cracker, you are stupid. I wasn't a person, a human being, until birth.

is a 24 week fetus human?[/quote]

human? Yes. A person? No.

[/quote]lets see, in the fundie pro-deathers minds no. But let me ask you, is a 24 week baby who was born premature and is on the outside living human? Yes, very much so. But a 24 week old baby who hasn't been born yet isn't human. Not a very logical argument.[/quote]

you are too stupid to know the difference between person, human being and human being potential. Moron.

Do you actually have an arguement that isn't a regurgitation sloagan from the pro enslavement of women camp?[/quote]

so a baby born at 24 weeks premature and is living isn't a person? It's right to kill her because she's "potential"? What is your definition of a person? What does one have to do to be considered a person?
|

replied June 4th, 2005
pcforme wrote:
pro enslavement of women camp?

hmmmm....Do I read a pro-choice pre-made slogan?
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
lisa4catholics wrote:
killing people is sick,whether you want to admit it or not.
but then, people are not killed in an abortion, prolife revisionist linguistic hyperbolic lies none withstanding.

Quote:
the woman and the baby are equal in value.
but there is no baby until birth, prolife revisionist linguistic hyperbole none withstanding.

As for the fetus, exodus 21: 22-25 clearly shows that you are outright wrong. But go ahead, spitting god in the eye, calling god a liar.

Quote:
by the way abortion doesn't make you unpregnant it makes you the mother of a dead baby
so you are incapable of posting without lying. Why am I not surprised.
|