Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

I Could Use Some Encouragement

User Profile
I am 27 ive smoked since I was 14 I love and hate cigaerettes at the same time
cancer runs in my family
so does emphasima (i know I spelled that wrong)
i am addicted
i quit when I was pregnant- out of guilt
but cheated a few times
i lost the baby 3 months ago
since then my smoker friend quit due to being hospitalized for a collapsed lung at age 25
i cant seem to find the will power yet
even though I work in health care and I saw someone coughing up blood the other nite who has lung cancer
i could use some encouragement too!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
Go spam some where else you quack.

All I can say is that you do not like smoking you seem to hate it. You think you like it, but that is only the addiction talking.

I was able to quit by reading a book about quitting smoking. It was not just any book. I am not trying to spam you, or make a buck off of you. I get no money at all. All I get is the enjoyment knowing I was able to help some one else get off of cigarettes.

Check out Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It works. Also it is much cheaper than the patches or gums out there. By the book second hand off of amazon.com if you have to. Just get the book and read it. You will be happy you did so.
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2007
The main reason people smoke is due to emotions mostly depretion. You lost your baby that seems like punishment enough, you have to tell yourself every day I'm quiting today. Another thing you can try is cut down every day from the number you smoke then before you know it you will be down to none & continue like that. Best of luck.
|

replied October 3rd, 2007
The best advice I can give to you is the only thing I did to quite over two years ago. I asked myself, I have been alive for 22 years, do I really want all of the time from my first memory to now to be skimmed off my life? That is a lot of years and it hardly seems worth it. I threw out my pack. Everytime I got a craving I just thought of something else or kept myself busy. This is the best advice I can give anyone. Once you busy yourself with something else you'll notice a number of hours have gone by. Once the next craving comes, just do it again. Fixating yourself on the cravings only make it worse, sidetrack your mind, and eventually the cravings get fewer and fewer until they are almost complelty disipated.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2007
the truth is if you want to stop you will, but only when you'll be ready. Stop smoking requires a lot of will power, if Health is not a good reason for you to stop it's ok just find yourself another good reason. For me it's the challenge that made me quit, I just love proving myself that I can accomplish whatever I put my heart into, that's what works for me. Also don't beat yourself up over smoking, guilt never help anyone.

Good Luck in that venture
|

replied November 7th, 2007
Don't worry, one day you'll just do it!

What i did was set myself a date quite far off (3 or 4 months ahead) so i had a while to bring myself round to the idea slowly. Also my ex-husband helped without realising by saying to my son "huh. she'll NEVER be able to give up". That really helped me think "Right! I'll show YOU!"

I felt just the same you did, i was 34 and had smoked since 18, and i loved my !**@!! But its true what they say. Thats just the addiction talking ( inever believed that, it just sounded like some smug thing annoying people said who found it easy to stop).
When youre ready to give it a shot, these kinds of forums really help. In fact i developed an internet addiction for a while - i went on it every time i wanted to smoke whilst i was at home!
I used Alan Carrs book by the way - it helped loads. In the meantime, dont beat yourself up over this - at some point you'll come up with the willpower to just do it.
I never ever thought i could stop, now its been a year and i am so past wanting a cigarette - its amazed me.
Good luck to you
|