Hi all, im new here. I had my gallbladder removed a little over 2 months ago. I had no stones, but my tests showed it was functional 20% and producing pain and nausea. Well I am slowly learning what I can and cannot eat. I dont have the chronic diahrea, but I do have alot of increased gas and bouts of smelly greasy stools occasionally. I also developed a severe pain in my chest right under my breastbone. It feels like someone is strangling me and it last a bout 5-10 minutes. I do have gerd and a hiatal hernia as well, but this pain has only been since the surgury. I went to another gi doctor for a second opinion. He tested my for sphincter of oddi disfunction or a bile duct stone. There was nothing present. The pains have gotten less frequent, but I still get them. Its nothing like the burning pain I had under my right rib before the gallbladder surgury. I think it might be my hernia, I think when they blew my abdomen up with the co2 for the surgury, it really screwed me up. Im just wondering if anyone here has had any similar symptoms ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Flying Solo
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Pain After Gallbladder Removed
Hello, new here....Just seeing if anyone has had bad pain in chest,and back after gallbladder has been removed. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and started having ever worse attacks than before, anyone else have this, and if so can did they learn why. Going to doc monday to get set up with a gi....Doctor says I might a a stone in my duct or narrowing. Only thing is ...I didnt have any stones before just a disfuctional hidi scan 17%. Advice from someone would be great.
|

replied June 12th, 2005
Anonymous
Post Gallbladder Removal
Folks, I had my gallbladder removed one week ago. Hida test showed 17% rate and sonogram and ct scann showed cysts. Well, the gallbaldder is gone, but I have all sort of symptoms such as gas, burping, pressure at my breastbone, feeling like I need to swallow all the time to push food down my throat even while I am lying down. Needless to say I needed to do a lot of research on my own after the gallbladder removal to find out just wht else was bothering me. I have discovered that I have all the symptoms of gerd. I just found out adding another pillow is useless and one should actually raise the top part of the bed. I also found out the gerd leads to ear and sinus infection (which I had). Non of the doctors that I saw in the course of past six months ever mentioned gerd. They did give me some antiacids which did not help and moved on the identifying my gallbladder as non functioning.
|

replied June 13th, 2005
Anonymous
I had mine out the end of march. I had polyps and an inflamed wall. I have been having dizzy spells and weird shooting pains that hurt when I try and breath in deep. They only last about 30 secs. But hurt like crazy! I have been having problems with my ears and sinuses as well. And that co2 they used took ages to fully get out of my system. That stuff was worse then the actual surgery pain!!
|

replied June 15th, 2005
Anonymous
After Surgery
I had my gall bladder removed mid may and am suffering quite badly with diahroea and heartburn but i'm not sure if this is normal. I presume it is just all part of the post surgery recovery. I am still off work coz my insides are still quite tender and sore. Is anyone else suffering with heartburn and diahroea?
|

replied June 15th, 2005
Well..My elder sister underwent gall bladder removal about an year ago. Even she used to doubt problems in her body after the surgery..But nothing was real...And now she is quite ok. I think your problem like her is just psychological like my sister and I don't think there's anything to worry about.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Gall Bladder
I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago. About a year later I had a terrible attack of the same pain that used to come with the gall bladder. I couldn't understand why I was having the pain since I didn't have the gall bladder any longer. The ambulance took me to the hospital. After several hours of tests, xrays, etc., the doctor said there was a stone that was still there. I guess the pancreas produces stones, too. It must have passed and then I was ok.
My problem since the surgery is gas and unconrollabe bowel movements. They can occur at any time, any place. I'm so afraid to go to a restaurant. It doen't seem to be getting any better.
I did hear that eating more often during the day, in smaller amounts, can ease these problems. I'm going to give it a try.
If anyone has any other suggestions, please share them.
Thanks.....
Flying solo
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Hello my names jen and I have questions... I've experienced the same thing and I need answers. please asap! (Gall bladder removal 2009, 1 year later pain comes back) hope to hear from you soon
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Post-op Experience
I had my gall bladder out in june. It was necrotic with gangrene. They had to insert a stent to rebuild one of the bile ducts that was destroyed. Stent comes out in august.
My only problem now seems to be stomach spasms when I eat something heavy in fat. Anyone know what it could be that spasms? Never had that before in my life. It's not painful -- just a bit scary.

As a side note, I am pretty sure that they dropped the ball on my hida scan. I remember the technicians mumbling something about the gb not lighting up and although puzzling , they didn't put two and two together to deduce that the gb was dead. I had to wait 6 months for severe pains. :(
jh
|

replied July 29th, 2005
Anonymous
Flying solo,

i heard that calcium carbonate can help control diahrrea for those without gb. I have the odd episode of diahrrea after eating something greasy, fatty, spicy--ex. Taco bell. I also try to eat many small meals through the day instead of 3 big ones because I find that if I go too long without eating or eating too much at once, I get extremely bloated, nauseous, and end up with diahrrea.

Donna
|

replied July 29th, 2005
Post Gall Bladder Surgery Problems
Donna...Thanks for the post. I guess we all have similar intestinal disturbances after this type of surgery. Too bad it can be so embarrassing!
Let's keep our fingers crossed that we'll find the "trick" to being able to live normally again.
Flying solo
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Anonymous
Does anyone know from experience whether calcium carbonate can help control the gas and bloating? I've never had uncontrollable diarreah, but the frequent bloating is ridiculously irritating and really affects my quality of life.
|

replied November 25th, 2005
Anonymous
Gallbladder Removal
I had my gallbladder removed about 2 weeks ago and about 5 days after surgery I started with some new symtoms. I feel at times as if I am winded and have some discomfort right under my breastbone. I was told that my diaphragm was probably irritated during surgery and it would go away. I was told in the past that I had some reflux. I don't know what to believe. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it normal?
|

replied November 25th, 2005
It still could be the gas they blow your stomach up with during surgery. It can take upto a month to disipate & can cause pain under the ribcage. Try taking pain meds to see if it helps, but 2 weeks is still early & you should expect a little discomfort still
|

replied March 1st, 2007
Re: 8 Weeks Post Gallbladder Removal
smooth280 wrote:
Hi all, im new here. I had my gallbladder removed a little over 2 months ago. I had no stones, but my tests showed it was functional 20% and producing pain and nausea. Well I am slowly learning what I can and cannot eat. I dont have the chronic diahrea, but I do have alot of increased gas and bouts of smelly greasy stools occasionally. I also developed a severe pain in my chest right under my breastbone. It feels like someone is strangling me and it last a bout 5-10 minutes. I do have gerd and a hiatal hernia as well, but this pain has only been since the surgury. I went to another gi doctor for a second opinion. He tested my for sphincter of oddi disfunction or a bile duct stone. There was nothing present. The pains have gotten less frequent, but I still get them. Its nothing like the burning pain I had under my right rib before the gallbladder surgury. I think it might be my hernia, I think when they blew my abdomen up with the co2 for the surgury, it really screwed me up. Im just wondering if anyone here has had any similar symptoms ?

I have the exact same symptoms. I also have a hiatal hernia and the pain uner my right rib. It seems to be worse when I eat grease, which normally I avoid like the plague. If you ever find out what it is please let me know. I have had chest xrays and they show nothing.
http://rdoctor.com/symptoms_disease/conten t/view/198/2/
|

replied April 9th, 2007
Gallbladder
Smooth208 I read your post. I had my gallbladder removed on 03/22/07. On 03/26/07 I was admitted to the ER with a fever, pain, nausea and had a bile stent put in. My question to you is if the 5-10 minutes of pain is right after you eat? I am taking Carafate before I eat. I was told that the bile stent sometimes allows the bile to go up in the gastro-esophageal tract...bile takes the path of least resistance until it settles down from the gall bladder surgery. Don't get me wrong...I still don't feel 100% and have to eat little bits and low fat foods but I am trying to get where I can eat closer to normally again. I am bloated and gassy too...some diahrrea but it depends on what I eat. Hope this helps...
|

replied April 13th, 2007
Yep
i think we all suffer from something from lap-choley.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2007
I had my gallbladder taken out on 3/3/07, afterwards the surgeon told me if I'd have waited any longer for removal it would have ruptured. It was full of pus & there was a large stone blocking my bile duct.
As well as the usual gall stone symptoms before removal I also had severe bowel type cramp pains that would come & go. I would collapse in pain they were so severe. They would come on Half hour almost to the second after eating. Sometimes I had diarrhea & sometimes sickness. My dr was convinced this was when bile was getting released into my boel when eating due to stone blockage but I wasn't convinced as I never had both types of pains together. After surgery my dr was so convinced he was right he dischrged me from hospital clinic saying I was now cured,
Since then I have 2 lots of these attacks. The first I thought it maybe because I was still recovering from surgery but the 2nd is nw & I am totally fine from the surgery. It started tuesday with severe loer abdomen pain, I couldn't moved. Wheb the pain came on I went grey & shivery. I barely ate anything as when I did half hour later the pain was more severe. My motions were very pail yellow. These continued till Saturday when the pains started to settle. I no longer feel ill but when I eat half hour later I get the pains for about an hour but not as severe. So I have taken to eating when I have to. I have posted on the celiac site as this has been mentioned before.
I hve an appt tomorrow with dr, I just hope he listens to me this time as I've had enough.
Anyone had anything similar/
|
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....