Hi there, am new here and thought i'd share a bit of what has happened to me lately.

Last year around february I had numbness on the left side of my face and arm along with a bit of trouble speaking (would know what I wanted to say but about half way something would cut me off and I would be lost as to what I was saying for a few seconds then get it back) these symptoms only lasted for about a week and I figured it was just a virus or something and left it at that.

A month ago during a weekend I began to have a bit of numbness return and progress slightly. I told my husband and he said that he would make me an appointment to see the doctor during the week.

While at work on tuesday morning the symptoms got worse, my left side went numb and I again had speech problems, and also couldn't grasp fully what people were saying to me...I could hear it and understand somewhat but it was like I was in a state of confusion. My left leg also began to drag and I couldn't feel the skin on my lower leg. I could feel the parts..But the skin felt tingly...Or numb. My left eye also was acting weird....If I turned to look left or right...The left took longer to move and focus.

I was taken to the doctor who immediately sent me to the hospital.

I spent 2 weeks in hospital, have had an mri with what they said was a single small lesion deep in white matter...But they are thinking that this was a small stroke. I have had a lumbar puncture and initially it seems ok but they have yet to recieve the full report.

My problem though is that I am still getting numbness and weakness in my face and left leg and hand and the gp said that if it was a stroke I should not be getting these symptoms coming back...That I should be getting better.

The neurologist has given an inconclusive result on the mri and says that it is difficult to be certain but his feeling is that the single lesion whis is not that obvious probably represents a small vascular even rather than any form of demyelination. He says that it is difficult to take matters further at this stage and that he advises to repeat the scan in four to six months and that although he is aware that this leaves a period of uncertainty it is probably the most reliable way of determining what exactly we are dealing with.

I'm just really confused...Am wanting to go back to work monday just to get some sort of normality back in my life but don't know what the heck is going on with me...I don't believe this is a stroke as I am only 33 and really have no reason to have one...I'm usually very healthy (although I smoke).

I guess my biggest fear is that i'll go back to normality and it will all start happening again.

Has anyone here had just one lesion on a first strong attack that turned out to be ms later on and is it possible?

Thanks for answering

tuu
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 14th, 2005
Re: Really Confused
tuulikki wrote:
hi there, am new here and thought i'd share a bit of what has happened to me lately.

Last year around february I had numbness on the left side of my face and arm along with a bit of trouble speaking (would know what I wanted to say but about half way something would cut me off and I would be lost as to what I was saying for a few seconds then get it back) these symptoms only lasted for about a week and I figured it was just a virus or something and left it at that.

A month ago during a weekend I began to have a bit of numbness return and progress slightly. I told my husband and he said that he would make me an appointment to see the doctor during the week.

While at work on tuesday morning the symptoms got worse, my left side went numb and I again had speech problems, and also couldn't grasp fully what people were saying to me...I could hear it and understand somewhat but it was like I was in a state of confusion. My left leg also began to drag and I couldn't feel the skin on my lower leg. I could feel the parts..But the skin felt tingly...Or numb. My left eye also was acting weird....If I turned to look left or right...The left took longer to move and focus.

I was taken to the doctor who immediately sent me to the hospital.

I spent 2 weeks in hospital, have had an mri with what they said was a single small lesion deep in white matter...But they are thinking that this was a small stroke. I have had a lumbar puncture and initially it seems ok but they have yet to recieve the full report.

My problem though is that I am still getting numbness and weakness in my face and left leg and hand and the gp said that if it was a stroke I should not be getting these symptoms coming back...That I should be getting better.

The neurologist has given an inconclusive result on the mri and says that it is difficult to be certain but his feeling is that the single lesion whis is not that obvious probably represents a small vascular even rather than any formonl :?: :twisted: :p really have no reason to have one...I'm usually very healthy (although I smoke).

I guess my biggest fear is that i'll go back to normality and it will all start happening again.

Has anyone here had just one lesion on a first strong attack that turned out to be ms later on and is it possible?

Thanks for answering

tuu
|

replied June 14th, 2005
Dear really confused, I have had the same exact I mean to a t symptoms that you are having and be thankful they found the lesion because they are telling me its all in my head
i have been on disability for 5 years now or 4 something like that. I have been in and out of hospitals all the time and they keep saying stuff like I have had a stroke or a bleed on the brain. Then a neurologist tells me that there is nothing wrong with me that my left side of my brain is working slower than the right. I tell myself that something had to cause this I was not born like this. Do you ever have a tingling in the left side of your head like you need to take something out or something is definitely wrong.Plz respond to this take care thank you
|

replied June 14th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
From your description of the symptoms it does sound more like a stroke than ms -- in particular because it is all numbness on one side. Strokes can happen at any age, and obviously you know that smoking will increase the risk.
|

replied June 14th, 2005
Stroke Or Ms?
I too was told that I had a stroke. I am 22. I spent 5 weeks in hospital recovering from numbness on my whole right side. It is only now, 6 months later that the possibility of ms is being investigated, as I started getting new symptoms after almost a full recovery. Two lesions were found on my mri. Our symptoms sound very similar.

Reply if you want to talk further.

Paula
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....