Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

I Have Ibs And I Can't Gain Weight....help Me

I am 33 years old, I plan to get married in the next months.
But, how can I marry when I look ill.
I have ibs, I am not sure..How to treat it.
My mother has crohns disease, I think I inherited the weak bowel through her.
I was also informed, I have pernicious anemia.(meaning my body can't or won't absorb vitamin b complex vitamins.
I am very underweight, I weigh around 98 lbs now.
Whenever, I get my period( I really feel nausea, during periods) or the slightest sickness, my weight plummets.
My best weight is 110 lbs.
I have to struggle to achieve that.
I don't even know, why I am able to gain weight at certain periods in my life and not at others.
When, I am heavier I look really great. Now I look frail.
Everyone tells me, I should gain weight. I can't.. I am even taking protein shakes, nothing is working...
How do I gain weight, when my body isn't obviously absorbing the food nutrients??
Anyone, with similar issues.

:p
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Hey you know most people would love to be in the situation of being too skinny!! But yes health is more important...
If ibs is really making you that ill, maybe your doctor could help somehow. They might have some medicine or food that could help.
Congratulations on your wedding! :d :) good luck and take care!
|

replied April 15th, 2009
can not gain weight due to ibs
i have ibs and can not gain weight i know how you feel! i gain 10 pounds then drop again! i am so sick of it,i am seeing a gastrologist in the am for the first time to see what she has to say! i can tell you that i have been taking ibs control by digestive advantage company it is over the counter and it does help to relax. good luck i will share any news i get that may help you!
|

replied June 20th, 2009
IBS Can't gain weight
I'm 29 years old and weight 90 lbs. I've seen a gastrologist and was told I have IBS. I eat and eat and can't even gain a pound. The more I eat it seems the more I loose. I don't know whats wrong with me. I've been drinking high protein shakes and it's still not working. I eat as healthy as I can, get plenty of rest, and drink plenty of water. Am I sick?
|

replied July 31st, 2009
IBS weight gain
I can't gain weight either! i weight 100 pounds and i have IBS as well. I was just recently diagnosed with it.. so im not too sure with options that i have??
|

replied September 6th, 2009
IBS. losing weight
i am 15 years old and also have ibs. When i first had the condition i was 110 pounds. which was two years ago, I eat in large amounts and very high calorie just to maintain the weight i have. Although i eat as much as my body can allow in the last 3 years my weight has been reduced to 90 pounds. so, since i cant gain weight i've gradually been losing it. nothing actually helps my condition... if it goes like this it probably means i'll lose a further 20 pounds in the next three years and become 80 pounds. SO I HAVE AROUND ABOUT 12 YEARS BEFORE I AM JUST REDUCED TO BONES. Scary, right?
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...