Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Thyroid Biopsy Anyone? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
I have to undergo an biopsy of my thryoid this week. Has anyone been though it before. I am a bit nervous about the procedure and could use some helpful advice.
Thanks
denise
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jessbrehe
|

replied November 21st, 2003
Hi my name is richelle & I am new tonight to ehealth...Anyways...I seen your question and just had to respond...I had my thyroid totally removed in january of '02...The actual surgery wasn't all that bad...The worst part of the whole ordeal was the "fine needle biopsy" #1 the needles aren't that fine! And before they begin they will give you a numbing shot that needle is about the size of a bic pen! I had 4 nodules on my thyroid so my biopsy was very involved. When the biopsy was completed my neck was so swollen I couldn't turn my head or barely speak...I had the biopsy, the radioactive capsule that you swollow then they take pictures, and the radioactive injections, all my tests were inconclusive! Mad but because you asked I will tell you that the worst part of the whole ordeal was that biopsy...It hurt worst than the thyroidectomy itself! Don't mean to scare you and I wish you the best...Please keep me informed of your results.
Your in my prayers,
richelle
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
My name is Catherine and I had a thyroid biopsy yesterday and it was not fun. I had been told the novocaine would be the worst of it but it was not true. I suspect the Radiologist did not wait long enough to let the novocaine work. I was positioned with my neck extended and my head turned right so the Radiologist could get to the left side of my thyroid, so he did a shot of novocaine and when he immediately went back in I wrongfully assumed it was more novocaine, but it wasn't. He went for the first aspiration. It was more than "pressure", and just for some reality for my ability to deal with pain, I pushed out twins by choice. I will never do it again. I had a huge lump over the site (maybe novocaine) and my neck is so sore. I am glad I did not have to go to work today. That was much worse than I expected. I do know other people who had a better situation. Two other women at work had this done, one had a similar experience to mine and one had no issue at all. If my biopsy comes back inconclusive I refuse to repeat this stupid biopsy.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I think it varies so much from person to person. I had no issues with my FNA or my course needle biopsy (and didn't have any Novocaine because I was told that would hurt just as much). But I was at my endo's office the other day and this poor girl who was about my age when I had it done came out into the waiting room sobbing because hers hurt so bad. I don't know if it has to do with the person doing it or where the nodule is or what, but it's so variable.

Ice on your neck for 20 minutes at a time and some over-the-counter pain meds (if you can take them) should help.

If the biopsy does come back inconclusive, you can always ask if you can have another ultrasound in 3-6 months to see if the nodule grows and then assess from there.

I hope you feel better soon.
|

Thanks! So now it's been over 24 hours and it still is tender and I am getting occasional ear "zingers", like nerve pain going from the biopsy site to my left ear. I am just so surprised at this discomfort! I had a breast biopsy a few years back without any issue at all and they took about 6 tissue samples. I think this really caught me off guard. Thanks for your support! I was told I should hear back about the biopsy results within 7 days.

Catherine
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 7th, 2012
Biopsy was abnormal
Hello, the biopsy showed two types of cells that are abnormal, "atypical" cells and Hurthle cells. The cytologist said it must be surgically removed. Any advice?

Thanks,

Catherine
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied April 19th, 2012
Thytoid biopsy
I had a thyroid biopsy yesterday. Got a call from my physicians office informing me that the biopsy was insufficient to come to a definitative diagnoses. I hate having to do this again. Anyone had to do this"? Does this mean there may be a greater chance of malignancy or did they just not get enough.
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Thyroid Biopsy
They did that to me. On my second time around, which I was not thrilled about having since the first one had a total (without the novicaine) of 11 needles put in, because they found a 3.8cm on the left side, and a 4.1cm on the second, plus, just to the right where a guys adams apple would be, a 7.2cm tumor, and it was painful as heck. The 2nd time, they had a pathologist right across the hall that took the samples and let the surgeon know if he had enough for a speciman. Ask them if they can do that this time. Just because it was insufficient (inconclusive) doesn't always mean bad things. Better to be sure. Hope this one goes better foryou.
|

Thyroid Biopsy
Thank you so much for responding. I had the biopsy done a week ago and all is fine. It wasn't as involved as yours was and I didn't swell up nor did I have much discomfort afterwards. It was just one nodule and I need to have another ultrasound in 6 months to see if there were any changes. Thankyou for you well wishes...Much appreciated
denise
|

Wow! That is great! I am glad to hear everything went ok for you. I kind of thought mine was just extra bad because there was so many nodules...There was 4 so that was 4 numbing shots and I think like 7 passes through each nodule so I was poked about 40 times. Crying or Very sad but anyways... Good luck with everything!
|

replied February 7th, 2004
Thyroid Biopsy
I underwent a thyroid biopsy two weeks ago and the procedure is painless. The numb your neck up with a local shot of lidocaine and depending on then go through the skin with a small needle and take out tissue samples. You won't feel anything cause your neck will be numb. I had a total thyroidectomy done on thursday and came home yesterday. I've had it all done and the doctors are very optimistic that it's not thyroid cancer. You should be fine when undergoing the biopsy. I had the same concerns as you did but it turned out not to be bad at all. Good luck.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I'm confused... Are you pregnant?
|

replied May 19th, 2008
I had my thyroid biopsy done by TED HITTLE, MD I will say he had a very heavy hand, I had such pain during and after the biopsy I almost blacked out from the first sample!!! The pain was so unexpected, mind you I am not a whimp either I had a baby and a female surgery and an amino before, you all know the aminos have LONG LONG needles too!! Anyway, I wish I had taken some Motrin and ativan or xanax before the biopsy. I was told afterwards it does depend on the Dr. techniques I would say if you are going to see the same Dr I did, RUN FOR THE HILLS! When I went in to see my regular dr for a follow up for the results I told him I had so much pain and got a shiver when I thought of the test for 3 days after, I think I had post traumatic stress those few days to follow!! I had never had such a feeling of woe before. My regular Dr says thats not the way it is suppose to happen. He has done many of them himself but couldn't do mine with out it being ultra sound guided he didnt have anyone for the ultrasound so he sent me to the Imaging suite across the street. I was in such pain for a week afterwards I was on vico (thank God I had some left over from a knee injury) and Motrin for 4 days and Motrin for another week to follow and still felt pain after 2 weeks when I pressed on the area the pain was deep still inside. I really went with no fear thinking I can bear the pain. my sister had one herself before and from all I had read and all I had watched on the internet, well, I couldn't bear it!!!! He hit a place the 3rd try and made my gag reflex start it was so awful I fought the urge to gag for several seconds I finally couldn't hold it back.. OH MY GOSH!!!! GOOD LUCK to you all I have to get another done in 4-6 months all that pain and only 1 out of the 3 tries were able to be tested. Funny too, there was some tech guy and an observer looking at the samples with each with draw too he was there to make sure the tissue sample was enough, what a shabby end of the deal I got!!!! Turns out, there wasn't enough tissue? Who was that guy then if he didnt even know what he was doing? With a total of 4 people in that room other than myself things could have went a lot smoother!!! You think they sold tickets to see a woman get tortured. You can email me at presouz at gmail dot com if you want to know more or tell me your horror story, I think we need to get the word out there, some of these Dr as not cut out to DO THEM!!!! I wish us all well and GOD BLESS US ALL~~

Sad Sad
|

replied July 15th, 2008
BIOPSY
HELLO I JUST HAD ONE MONDAY THE 14 OF JULY IT WAS NOT BAD ALL I FELT WAS A HEAD AKE ON THE RIGHT SIDE WHEN THEY WERE DOING IT AND THE SAME ON THE LEFT I GOT NUMED UP GOOD I HAD GOOD DR WHO DID IT IT LEFT ME BRUISED ON MY NECK WERE THE NEEDLES WENT IN SO IT WILL BE OK THE HEAD AKE WHEN AWAY IN A FEW HRS. SO LOTS OF LUCK
|

replied August 5th, 2009
3rd Biopsy a different experience
I have had 3 separate occasions for Biopsy. The first two were easy and fine. The third time hurt like hell. I had it done yesterday and my neck is still sore and I can barely swallow. It hurts when I cough, talk, bend my head down etc. I just wait for the results now...I just went in for a scan though and the technician said "I have to get a drink of water" half way though and came back with another doctor so I knew something was up then they told me what was about to go down...
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Painful thyroid biopsy
I just had a fine needle aspiration today and had to actually have the doctor stop in the middle of the procedure. I just could not tolerate the horrible sensation...the pain was a very deep, bizarre, creepy pain. I have given birth twice and have had facial surgery and thought this would be a cinch...I was WRONG. We are just going to watch the nodule for changes...and if they ever insist on a biopsy I will insist on being knocked out.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
I feel exactly like you did. I had a biopsy about 5 years ago, and the pain during the procedure was terrible - just like you describe. Now the doc says I need another one. He wanted to do it today, but I told him no. I told him I wanted to be "knocked out", too, but he said he could not do that because he has no monitoring equipment in the office. I guess nobody gets general anesthesia for these biopsies, but I don't know if I can tolerate another one. But I don't want to ignore the nodule if it is cancerous. What to do?????
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I had two biopsys in one setting, I asked for valum and he thought I was kidding him, well to say the least he wished he had given to me after it was over.. hurt like hell, he said they would give me something next time...If there is a next time I will bear the pain to stay with my grandchildren:-)
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I had two biopsy and I asked for valum and he thought I was kidding him, well to say the least he wished he had after it was over.. hurt like hell, he said they would give me something next time
|

replied April 27th, 2012
thyroid biopsy
i had my biopsy on the 17th of april and i demanded to be put out or else i wouldnt do it. so my doctor referred me to the hospital.
|

replied August 28th, 2009
Thyroid biopsy - no pain in my opinion
Hi I had one yesterday. They drew 5 samples from two goiters. They numbed the area. I honestly had no pain from the biopsy, but the numbing needle was like a small bee sting (or simple blood test) and no big deal honestly. There was virtually no pain in the procedure, but just some pressure that was of no discomfort. I just had my eyes closed. The needles are small, but the sample tubes hooked to them look like big needles. The scary part was honestly them explaining what theyre doing! Have no fear - keep your eyes closed and youll be fine!
|

replied September 25th, 2009
I guess the big thing is to make sure you get numbed up first. I went in for a biopsy on my thyroid in 2005....I have several goiters on both sides, so they took several samples. There was NO numbing...he just straight up did the needle aspiration. The needle was in for around 45 seconds at a time, over and over again. I do not consider myself a pain wimp, but this had tears running down my face and my brain went to it's happy place. Pain afterwords was limited to something like a bruise. Once it was over, I was fine...but shaken up. I see that several doctors above had numbing medication applied, that seems to be the way to go. It definitely would have made my experience much better!
|

replied October 20th, 2009
I had my asperation done way back in 1993, they did numb me up first but didn't say anything about swelling. I went back home, my husband went to work and my throat started swelling, scared me soooo bad that my blood pressure went up and made it swell even more. The worst part was the swelling,it felt like I couldn't get a breath, would have been ok if I had known first and could have iced the area right away. The results were inconclusive, I later had the nodule removed, it was cancer so they went in and did a total thyroidectomy. I get check every year and am glad to say I am still cancer free.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
GOT SCAR TISSUE?
I had this procedure done and was really surprised that it hurt so much. All of the literature said it was virtually painless. I was numbed but it was still almost undendurable. I switched doctors over it. My new doc told me that the pain with the procedure varies a lot depending on your thyroid. My thyroid is very scarred and dense. Most people have relatively soft thyroids so the procedure is not too painful for them. You might want to ask your doctor if you have a firm thyroid from lots of scarring to better gauge the pain involved. Be sure to get the biopsy though to make sure you are cancer free!
|

replied February 10th, 2010
presouzz previous post on May 19th, 2008

I'm doing an update on that post. In July of 2008 I had some intense swollen neck glands! I wonder if it has anything to do with the FNA I had? I mean what are the odds? I was told by my reg GP I must have a sinus infection, me, not even thinking this could be related to the FNA I still am unsure and with income loss and no health insurance I cant find out right now. I did have Health Ins in 2008 and did go to an ear nose and throat Dr he said he will get to the bottom of it, well, several thousand dollars later, NOTHING!, MRI's with and with out contrast, nada. I just suffered. As I still do, I did have a reprieve for a few months Nov and Dec of 2009 other wise, I have had this pain now along with a sore throat~~ I have always been chronically fatigued for years, it took a mind over matter morning just to get me out of bed to go to work!! SO THIS WEEK doing research on my neck pain I did find out CFS Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is sore throat and swollen neck glands, BINGO that's my neck pain since July 2008 and my chronic fatigue since 1999 or earlier! along with many other symptoms too. I was reviewing my OLD DR reports from 2007 and my first endocrinologist had written CFS was what he suspected since i have been going to Dr for 11 years until that time in 2007 trying to get answers to the strange things that were happening to me. TOO MUCH to go into anyone with CFS knows the road maps of pains and Dr we have gone too. NOT FUN!! Again, if anyone has had chronic sore throat and neck pain for years after let me know.. thanks and good luck.. reach me at presouz at gmail dot compainful thyroid biopsy
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Depends
It totally depends on the toughness of the nodual they are sampling.

Mine were hard and calcified like stones. it was terrible to say the least.
I huffed out air and let the energy out that way.
After it was over I thought I would either faint, puke, or run screaming out of the building. I managed some self controll, but if he had wanted a redo I would NOT have complied without general anesthesia.
I have calcified nodes and are suspect of medullary cancer.
If your nodes are soft, like goiter it will not be anywher near as bad.
It is all in how easy that needle can penetrait your individual nodual.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
what was your result
|

replied May 9th, 2010
I just had a thyroid biopsy 2 weeks ago. I am a big wimp but I had no pain associated with it. I was a little black n blue after the procedure for about a week. My results were inconclusive, but I have to have my thyroid removed next week due to my cancer history. I am just hoping for the best outcome possible.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
I just had one today. To be honest, it was an uncomfortable procedure and my neck is sore tonight. Even though the radiologist numbed the "site", the thyroid isn't actually numbed. You can feel the needle going into the thyroid which is uncomfortable and hurts. The Radiologist had to go in for 3 biopsies which I didn't enjoy. At one point, I got pretty shocky, started getting sweaty, clammy and nauseous, even though I was calm before the procedure and thought I would be fine. I wish I had taken a Xanax or something prior to the appt. I suggest asking your MD for Xanax prior to going. Best of luck to anyone having it done. P.S. I saw some of the posters above say that may it depend on the "hardness" of the thyroid, whether it hurts or not. Maybe that's true.
|

replied May 16th, 2010
Loss of voice after FNB
I just had a thyroid byopsy on Wednesday for a small nodule. The doctor did three needles. It wasn't too bad. However, over the next two days it felt as though I had been choked or was getting sick and couldn't swallow then Saturday I woke and could not speak at all. It too all day to utter a word. I have almost lost my voice completely. It is Sunday and people keep asking me if I am sick and say "Oh poor thing you have no voice." I am scared it won't come back. It is painful in the morning. Sad
|

replied October 5th, 2011
Thyroid FNA Procedure
I've had ultrasound guided FNA's done twice. The first time by a radiologist who numbed the area. It was relatively pain free,just a little pressure, felt like getting a shot. No big deal. Today I had another FNA done by an endocrinologist. Four samples were taken (thank goodness that was it!). It hurt like the dickens! Immediately, I had a lump develop, the whole left side of my neck is sore and bruised, it hurts to swallow. If there is a next time. . .I'll ask to be numbed:0( I agree,it should not have been that painful.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I just experienced a very painful FNA. Dr. numbed the area and told me I would feel just a pinch.....NOT! I felt it all and wanted him to stop. Afterwards, I could not turn my neck. After, the FNA my left (same side as the solid nodule worked on) arm and shoulder are hurting a lot.
Anyway, I have been coughing for about 3 months. I feel like I am suffocating sometimes, my neck and chest hurt, and I can't reach high notes when trying to sing. As a teacher, I am having trouble teacher as I run out of breath sometimes.
Benign or malignant, I need to get rid of them as they seem to be causing all of these symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Some ice and over-the-counter anti-inflammatories might help (as long as it's okay for you to take them). I've never heard of the pain going to the arm and shoulder, but nerves can do funny things. If it still feels this way in a day or so, call your doctor.

It does sound like the nodule(s) is causing you a lot of problems, even if they are benign. Even if the FNA comes out clean, you might want to talk to your doctor about surgery anyway to eliminate these problems.

Please re-post with a follow-up so you can help others in your situation who might need it in the future. And also feel free to re-post if you have any questions or just need to vent. Best of luck to you.
|
Quick Reply