Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Diabetes And Obesity Linked

Everyone knows that weight is an important health issue, especially for the obese people. Being overweight does not just affect the way you look, it can also seriously affect your health. However, making realistic long-term changes to your lifestyle can bring huge rewards. More and more people are overweight or obese. Being obese increases your chances of getting diabetes.

We can’t ignore this fact that people who are overweight are at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Now the question that will arise is “what is type 2 diabetes and how it is different with normal diabetes?” most people have heard of diabetes, but did you know there is more than one type?

Type 1 diabetes is a disorder in which the body does not produce insulin (a hormone that aids in moving sugar from the blood to the cells). This type of diabetes can be due to a virus or autoimmune disorder in which the body does not recognize an organ as its own and attacks it. In this case the body attacks an organ known as the pancreas where insulin is made. Those with type 1 diabetes are required to take insulin injections to move sugar from the bloodstream. This type of diabetes is usually diagnosed before age 40.

Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes occurs when insulin that the body produces is less efficient at moving sugar out of the bloodstream. Some sugar is moved out of the blood, just not as effectively compared to a person with normal insulin efficiency. High blood sugars are a result of this. It can also increase the risk of being suffered with other diseases like heart disease (cardiovascular disease), blindness (retinopathy), nerve damage (neuropathy), and kidney damage (nephropathy).

By reading above you will be thinking the topic is related to obesity and diatetes relationship and I am describing about the types of diatetes. The main purpose that most of the patients are not aware of the diabetes types.
Ok back to the topic now!!! Here I am showing the relation about obesity and diabetes :-

By genetically altering production of a factor found in skeletal muscle, scientists produced mice that can't get fat but do develop early signs of diabetes. Reversing the alteration produced mice that can become obese but do not develop diabetes.

The findings provide important insights for scientists struggling to find new ways to cope with the unprecedented epidemic of obesity now spreading through the united states and other nations.

Obesity brings with it a range of health consequences including sharply increased risk of type 2 diabetes, the most common form of diabetes.

Scientists broke the link to improve their understanding of the network of factors that lead from obesity to the onset of diabetes.

Based on what they learned, they applied a drug treatment in their new transgenic mice and in a different, previously established mouse line that suffers from obesity and a diabetes-like condition. In both groups, the drug increased insulin sensitivity, which is a primary goal of diabetes treatment.

:!: :!: revealing some facts : :?:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2005
Hi
i am madeleine again,
want to say sorry because I have read that I cannot edit my posting!!!!
But no problem here I am giving the remaining portion of that discription :
------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------ ---
scientists at washington university school of medicine in st louis used genetically modified mice to uncover a potentially important link between diabetes and obesity.

By genetically altering production of a factor found in skeletal muscle, scientists produced mice that can't get fat but do develop early signs of diabetes. Reversing the alteration produced mice that can become obese but do not develop diabetes.

The findings provide important insights for scientists struggling to find new ways to cope with the unprecedented epidemic of obesity now spreading through the united states and other nations.

Obesity brings with it a range of health consequences including sharply increased risk of type 2 diabetes, the most common form of diabetes.

Scientists broke the link to improve their understanding of the network of factors that lead from obesity to the onset of diabetes.

Based on what they learned, they applied a drug treatment in their new transgenic mice and in a different, previously established mouse line that suffers from obesity and a diabetes-like condition. In both groups, the drug increased insulin sensitivity, which is a primary goal of diabetes treatment.
Edit.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2019
Thanks for sharing information at ehealth forum!
I would like to share additional information.
There are secondary forms of diabetes due to drugs like steriods and diseases like acromrgaly etc.
Apart from centripetal obesity,visceral obesity is also linked with diabetes.
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.