I was wondering why everyone wants to go on a diet. I mean a diet is something you go off and on. Actually to lose weight and keep it off if you go on any diet you will lose weight but you will gain it back after you start eating normally. Atkins, south beach,low-fat, anything.
I think when people want to lose weight and keep it off they have to find an eating lifestyle they can live with for the rest of their life. They have to find a way to eat so they can continue. And exercise too.
I mean you go on atkins and you lose 20 lbs for the prom and you stop and you gain it back. This is true, it does happen. Actually I read somewhere our body's metabolism was made to resist our attempts to lose weight so once you deprive it of carbs or fat if you feed it with that stuff again, it will change its metabolism and you will gain.

So my opinion, don't go on a diet, find a way to eat you can live with if you want to keep the pounds off forever.

Take care guys. :d :)
remember no matter what you wiegh you are all beautiful and special on the inside!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 16th, 2005
Well said poet.
Diets have me in the mess I am in now.
My advice to anyone who wants to diet is to just eat healthily and excercise regularly.Diets don't work.They make you miserable and fat.They did it to me and now I am battling an eating disorder.I hate myself and I want to die. All because of a !**@! diet.
|

replied September 18th, 2005
Experienced User
I totally agree that diets are destructive ~ I mean, the first part of the word is "die" and that's what a starvation diet makes you feel like doing. I was severely anorexic for years, starting at age 11, and diets made my life a living hell.

Now I eat 3 healthy meals a day, avoid white sugar, white flour, and red meat, and do lots of yoga & meditation. I refuse ever to starve again. I've finally found some peace around food & body image.

I hope that young people out there (i'm an old lady in my 40's) don't have to suffer the same way I did. Diets do not work! Just eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and accept yourself as the special, unique person you are. There is so much more to you than your weight or what you eat or don'r eat!
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Totally Agreed!
I totally agree with a few of those replies up there. I started a starvation diet almost 3 years ago, lost several pounds, went off of it, gained it all back, and was a miserable wreck! I have never been the same since! I have battled eating disorders (anorexia, compulsive overeating) ever since that time! Diets ruin your life! They control your life! They completely screw up your metabolism girls! Don't try one! You'll forever ruin your body!
My body is messed up still yet to this day because I thought I was "fat" when in reality I was the perfect weight for my height. It's just not worth it........
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Diet is a four letter word. Just cut back eat sensibly and drink water (at least that is what I have found out). Eat the piece of cake or pie, but a small piece.
Good luck!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 26th, 2018
There are two types of diets: a person’s normal diet and a fad diet. A person’s normal diet is what you describe as a lifestyle. This “lifestyle” can be healthy or unhealthy. But you are correct when you mentioned fad diets being temporary fixes. Such as what you mentioned the “Atkins Diet” or many keto diets. Yes they get the weight off, but in order to keep the weight off, one has to maintain this diet. In this case many of these fad diets are not maintainable as a lifestyle or normal diet
|