Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Throat Problem..please Reply Asap (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have this sort of problem where there is a lot of flem accumulated in my throat but I am not able to cough if up nor swallow it .I tried taking cough syrups but they were no good.Its like a lot of flem stuck up in my throat ,i have no cough,no cold, no fever notting whatsoever except this flem in my throat.If anyone know whats the problem and how to get rid of it please let me know

and im always trying to clear my throat and nothing comes ups...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper el79476
|

replied June 12th, 2005
I've had that once... It went on for a couple of days...Everytime I ate....But mine went away....I don't really know what to tell u but consult your doctor about it.... Love ya, courtney
|

replied October 10th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Throat Problem
I have the very same thing! It started about two years ago, I was on a trip and got very sick with a terrible chest cold, lost my voice, and got that feeling in the back of my throat like there is phlegm stuck somewhere between my sinuses and my throat. I try to swallow it but it doesn't go down and I can't cough it up. It has stayed, and I have had the same bad cold, more like a bronchitis, where I can cough up some mucus, but still the lump feeling is there 4 more times since the first. I went to two doctors and they found nothing, but neither did any exrays or put tubes down my nose to see what the problem is. Some say it is acid reflux, or bad post nasal drip, but I find that hard to believe. I never had any problems before that first time I got sick. This is so annoying!
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Are you talking about thrush, you might check it outon the internet of course, I am no Dr.,
good luck! Let us know what you find out.
|

replied March 9th, 2006
Re: Throat Problem..please Reply Asap
I have had phlegm in my throat for years. Never being a smoker, so that was obviously not the problem. I would hack every morning, sometimes I would actually gag to the point of vomiting because of the phlegm up so high in my throat.

Until one day I saw this documentary on public tv. (tv ontario I think)
it was about a canadian male opera singer. In one segment of this program, while getting ready for his on stage performance.
He mentioned that he always ate an apple before every performance and muttered something like
"apples the best phlegm cutter there is"

now when ever I have a problem I drink apple juice it works for me.
I can't eat apples without peeling them. Apple-skin makes my throat itchy and I find it inconvenient peeling them.
But I think eating apples would work even better, because apple would likely not go down as quickly as juice would. (i don't know maybe maybe not:)
|

replied April 6th, 2006
Apples are supposed to be good in helping acid reflux so I have been told, maybe thats why the symptoms go ?????
|

replied July 31st, 2006
Coughing Up Phlegm
I was amazed to see how many people have the same problem as me. I dont even smoke and never have so I cannot understand what is causeing this annoying ailment. I was interested by the "apple cure" I will certainly try it as I am getting really tired of the same occurance every morning. At least I can draw some small comfort inasmuch that I am not alone with this, mike
|

replied January 10th, 2009
Solution?
I'm curious if you guys ever got a solution. It's been several years since you last posted this as a problem. What happened? Did the phlegm ever go away?
|

replied May 13th, 2013
I googled this thread a couple of weeks ago and took the advice for apple juice. (Thank you folks!!!) Gargling apple juice really helped. I read somewhere else that it has a similar PH to mucus.

Unfortunately, after a while it seemed a bit weird (and expensive) to use apple juice and not great for my teeth so using the theory that I need to find something with a similar PH I’ve started using saltwater. I use a WARM saltwater solution, gargling and then spitting out the water with the phlegm until my throat is clear. Sounds gross but afterwards scrape your tongue with ur teeth or a tongue scraper to get rid of the remaining phlegm\mucus. I still have a small amount for a bout an hour but then it clears up the "choking" feeling for at least half a day if not the full day!

For anyone with thick phlegm\mucus: Mucus at the back of the throat is called post-nasal drip (google it). My doctor told me that when this mucus becomes thick it is harder to cough up. It's most likely to happen if you're dehydrated. Drink more water and the mucus should become less thick and therefore easier to cough up. You may still need something like apple juice or saltwater.

If drinking more water doesn't help and you haven’t had any nasal\airway problems before I’d skip the gargling and go to your doctor. It could be a chest infection or some other ailment.

Thanks again to anyone took the time to post. I have a clear throat right now because of your suggestions.
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
Comes and Goes
I am a singer and the phlegm has been a problem from time to time. I have had what seems to be a respiratory infection and end up taking antibiotics to clear it up. Then I get the phlegm. It stays with me for about 1 month after the infection. I change my diet, drink water in the morning, go into the sauna and finally when I am feeling like it is almost gone, I start to exercise lightly. I am trying everything to make it go away, but it persists.

I have a little problem with the left side of my jaw where it locks up and am wondering if it is contributing to it, but I am not sure yet. My jaw has progressively worsened through the years, my jaw now opens enough for me to eat normally, but it hurts when I consistently bite down. I wonder if the phlegm seems to have coupled with it as a symptom of the jaw being a problem or is the phlegm an allergic reaction.

One other thing: I have noticed that I am allergic to nuts and find that I my throat closes up. This is a problem that started about a year ago so I don't eat nuts.

I know that drinking water and the sauna definitely helps!!!
|

replied February 4th, 2009
jaw issue
hi,
have you ever been checked out by a dentist? it may be tmj, where you can only open your jaw up a little and it hurts or is sore after talking or not talking. but i'm not so sure it's due to the flem. do you need a dentist referral? i have a great dentist for you out in TN.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Phlegm Sensation
I went to the doctor and the doctor said that the feeling of having phlegm in your throat was only a phlegm sensation, caused by the larynx. He said basically that the larynx is inflated and that causes the phlegm sensation. But the doctor did put a tube down my throat with a camera to see what the problem was and he did find some kind of mucus. I think my symptom might be a little different than others. I'll try to keep you guys updated. Hope this helps.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
i also get a stuck feeling of phlegm in my throat. Its hard to swallow and i cant cough it up. I also produce extra saliva and sometimes i feel nauseous. The doctors cant find anything i have been told reflux but they were wrong so far ive seen almost every type of doctor and no one knows.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
me tooo mine started i swear a couple years ago when i started spray tanning. i dont smoke never have i do work in a club that allows smoking. it has significantly gotten worse the last few months but i was told by my doc to drink more fluids an try a humidifier. its so annoying and gross. btw i have quit spray tannin just in case that was the cause an i still got it =(
|

replied November 25th, 2010
I got this all the time after i had a row with parents and my lympth glands hurt then i fot a really bad throat for ages which seemed like tonsilitits. They were red and large- has them removed- prob got alot better. But then came back- so prob wasnt that!

Avoiding dairy and wheat for 1 month (dairy more than wheat) always used to do the trick.

But this time, its been months- no dairy, my lymph glands in throat have been swollen the whole time (im not sick), but i have had scabies the entire time- only just realised what it was after 3 months! So now treating that hoping my glands will get better.

I think allergies- imune reaction any viral ifection (think bad throat when sick) will cause more mucous because its an immune response, alog with the lympth glands.

AVOID dairy and wheat if you can- and try to stay mellow and unanxious- i found tension in the throat area can make it worse.
|

replied September 19th, 2011
ME TOO
I have the same thing at the moment. After i had the flu my throat was still thick with phlegm. My husband says its bile, but i hear bile should have a burning sensation, which i dont feel. I feel very nauseous with the phlegm sitting at the back of my throat, its so thick i cant swallow it far enough, and it doesnt cough up either. What can i do about it! Im even willing to shove something down my throat.
|

replied October 13th, 2011
ME 3
im havin g the same problem right now, my throat is sore and feels like i have swallowed a rock! i do have a cold, so i put it down to that, but after reading these posts i feel like i may have the same problem. The only difference is, i can throw up, but the phlegm that does come out looks( and feels) like rubber!? i dont know, but i think a docs trip might be a great idea.
|

replied November 26th, 2011
I have the same problem as most of you and I have seen my doctor who sent me to the ENT consultant who told me it was acid reflux.Which to me seems impossible as i had an op for Hiatus Hernia last year which solved that problem. I have said it's coming from my nose as I can feel something running down my throat. I have had scan on Sinus's and there is nothing wrong there. I have another app with the ENT consultant next week so will let you know what happens.
|

replied December 3rd, 2011
Phlegm
A good friend of mine who is a doctor says that phlegm is directly related to alcohol consumption
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Mucous in throat
That can't be it, I don't drink. I think it's an allergy or sensitivity to something, Mucunex clears it up.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
That can't be it, I don't drink. I think it's an allergy or sensitivity to something, Mucunex clears it up.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
Mucus Stuck in throat
Hey.. Im having the same prob with mucus getting stuck in my throat..im not able to swallow it or cough it out.. i have no idea whats wrong. I visited few docs(even did an xray) but nothing has helped.. I am really scared, I cant even go to school properly.. i dont drink or smoke. And i dont have cold cough or fever. ive tried lots of things - eating apple,gargling with salt and water, lime and water, honey etc But now its getting too serious and i wanna get cured.. Pls help!!
Also i just got a Benylin menthol cough syrup that im trying and also im trying to avoid dairy products at all means. But also the weather here is very dryy and dusty. thanks
|

replied July 6th, 2012
Hello All
my Name is Zeyad Zaghloul
and i am 18 years old

i suffer from a real problem although feels like it is a small one but really it irritates my life so much PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE

simply from about six years till now i still suffer from that same feeling of very very very sticky phlegm or mucus in my throat that i can't spit it out or even swallow it, it just stand there in my throat and it increased so much in this lasting period that i feel i will choke or die
i try constantly 24 hours to swallow it or at least i try swallow my saliva or drink as much water as i can, but either this fails to get it down
i went to several ENT doctors maybe 30 or even more up till now, and yet i am still taking appointments to go meet more doctors, and also I made several Ct scans, barium swallow test and endoscopy and i got several diagnosis for this problem as follows:

1) i have a deviated nasal septum
2) i have enlarged right turbinates
3) i have mild sinusitis
4) that is post nasal drip
5) globus ( psychological feeling )
6) Allergy
7) chronic throat inflammation
Cool acid reflux
9) long uvula
10) small hatial hernia
11) sicca syndrome or sjogrens syndrome

one of the doctors said that i should go for a surgery to correct my nasal septum direction and to remove a part of the turbinates, then i could breath well from my nose and so this will make me close my mouth while sleeping and my throat would be less inflamed and less soar, then this feeling would go away and also I still breath bad only from one nostril

and so i made this surgery 3 months ago but unfortunately it had no any effects,

then another doctor said that he should cut a small part of my uvula ( that thing hanging at the back of the mouth ) he said it’s long and it’s the cause of this feeling since it touches the throat, but another two doctors said no this size is normal and many have it this size and yet they do not suffer from any of my symptoms

but all doctors were sure that I have chronic throat inflammation and they give me medications and gargles and after 10 days the inflammation goes away and the symptoms remain as they are,

some doctors said it was allergy but all allergy medications I took were useless
as well as post nasal drip which non of the medications were useful

only one doctor mentioned that it is sjorgen’s syndrome and I was convinced by his words but others said that I should have dry eyes but my eyes are very normal I think

I read many topics on the internet so I thought it might be zinkers diverticlum and I made a barium swallow test which showed nothing wrong and very weak reflux, and a small hatial hernia
I also read that it might be cricopharenegeal muscle spasm but doctors said there should be pain if this was true, but I suffer no pain at all
The endoscopy said that I have weak reflux because the muscle at the valve between the stomach and the esophagus doesn’t close well written as follows: “incompetent OGJ “and wrote in conclusion “NERD “
some doctors said that this very undectable reflux could be the reason and they gave me medications of proton pump inhibitors ( controloc 40mg) for 10 days but had no effect as well
I don’t know if I should go for this surgery as well or not, please help

non of them seems to help me, please I need your help because I cannot sleep easily due to this feeling at all, and this extreme lack of sleep affects everything in my life yes EVERYTHING, and my work efficiency is very bad , my mood is horrible, my breath is not good and I always feel that I am choking in addition I cannot concentrate or even easily eat

my symptoms are as follows:

1) feeling of mucus in my throat 24 hours that once I wake up feel it immediately
2) constant trying to swallow it
3) usually I feel I need to clear my throat
4) I have very thick saliva which increases in thickness so so so much when I either drink water, soda, coca or even after eating or brushing my teeth with a toothpaste or even after running or gargelling
5) I sometimes not allot, I feel heartburns
6) I feel fatigue 24 hours ( maybe due to lack of sleep )

ok please please please I need your help, I would be gratley thankful if any of you can help me or had a similar case and was correctly diagnosed and treated because now my parents thinks it’s psychological and this also irritates my life
|
Quick Reply