Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Can't Sleep! Please Help!

I know someone's probably covered this somewhere already, but I can't find it anywhere, and i'm getting desperate. Basically i'm having a lot of trouble falling asleep, and on two occasions - about a week apart i've not slept at all. I don't feel stressed, as i've lost sleep in the past due to stress so I don't believe the problem lies there. I eat healthilly, my diet includes lots of fresh fish, rice, vegetables, and fruit. Exercise - I admit I don't do enough, but the lack of sleep has only started recently in the last fortnight. My sleep pattern is fairly solid, I don't have too many really late nights followed by early's, but even then I find I can usually fall asleep after a while. Recently, however I just have so much trouble falling asleep. Also i've noticed that when i'm having trouble falling asleep, my heartbeat's harder, and I feel really hot.
Can someone please give me some advice about putting myself to sleep (without pills). I've tried herbal sleeping pills, but no joy.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 4th, 2005
I Use Melatonin
Melatonin
a natural, effective sleep aid
normally the human body produces melatonin to regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount produced seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older ones. Studies suggest that melatonin can hasten sleep and ease jet lag, without the hazards or side effects of prescription sleeping pills.

Melatonin may have many other uses and has been reported to make people feel better, strengthen the immune system, and reduce free radicals in the body. Current research is underway to determine melatonin's effect as an anti-oxidant, immno-modulator in cancer, delayed sleep-phase disorders, and jet lag. Tests are still under way so there is much to still be learned about melatonin and its effects on the human body.
|

replied May 4th, 2005
Would Love Melatonin
I've used melatonin once before and it is great for sleep pattern regulation. I used it to get over jet lag, and I got ove an 8 hour time difference in just a day. Problem - in england I don't think you can get melatonin over the counter and you need a prescription, and i'm not sure how readily doctors prescribe it. Will diffinetely try to get hold of some though. Thanks for the reply! :d
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.