Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Migraines

I am interested in starting birth control, and I have read that the pill/patch/ring are not recommended for people who have a history of migraines with aura. I used to get migraines when I was younger, and I remember having aura one time when I was about 12 (i'm 22 now). I'm wondering if I am at risk and should look into another form of birth control. I'm wary of the other forms because i've heard they cause weight gain and acne. This is for my wedding, so not interested in either of those things happening in the next few months. Does anyone know about this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 9th, 2005
Re: Birth Control And Migraines
stephjane5 wrote:
i am interested in starting birth control, and I have read that the pill/patch/ring are not recommended for people who have a history of migraines with aura. I used to get migraines when I was younger, and I remember having aura one time when I was about 12 (i'm 22 now). I'm wondering if I am at risk and should look into another form of birth control. I'm wary of the other forms because i've heard they cause weight gain and acne. This is for my wedding, so not interested in either of those things happening in the next few months. Does anyone know about this?

i actually get frequent migranes and have since I was 9 or 10 I am now almost 30 and the only way I can try to prevent my migraines which come much worse when I am fixen to start is to continuously take my birth control. Now that is not the only reason I take it continuously, but it does help. I have also found that even before I took them continuously my migraines were less intense. (not that a migraine is a good thing).
If you don't get them now and it been 10 years you may not be getting them anymore.
|

replied June 17th, 2006
My wife is a life long migraine suffer, which is one of the reasons she never used hormonal birth control. She is also too nervous about having an iud inserted, because she might want to get pregnant again. She is comfortable using spermicides and the sponge, with no side effects. Sometimes she gets irritation from vaginal suppositories that have to melt before intercourse. By the way, most powerful migraine medications are harmful during conception and pregnancy. Whenever she took barbiturates or things like maxalt, she used birth control.
|
Must Read
Intense pain, sensitivity to light and nausea. All signs of a migraine. But what is a migraine headache? And what can trigger it? Migraine basics here....
Migraine symptoms are easy to recognize. But what signs precede a migraine? And which symptoms are present during different types of migraines? Read more here....
What types of doctors diagnose migraines? And what tests do they use? Learn how to understand migraine symptoms and put them in perspective here....