I've been having kidney pain now, on my left side mostly, since dec. 30, 2004. I had a major kidney infection for 3 weeks and was treated with 500mg levaquin on and off during that time. Just two weeks ago, on easter, I went to the emergency room with excruciating kidney pain on the left side that went between a cramping sensation to severe stabbing pain. I had blood in my urine, no bacteria, and my ct was negative for cysts and kidney stones. I possibly have lupus (my ana was positive and I have many symptoms). I still have kidney pain occasionally, especially when I drink a lot of fluids. What the heck is wrong with me?? Any ideas out there? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 20th, 2005
I Have Some Answers For You!
Ok,,your really gonna have to trust me on this ok? Lots of people here will tell you to increase fluid intake,,not so,,in some instances. Lets go over this so that you understand.

First! You need to find out what your protein in your urine is. The kidneys filter wastes and if you have blood, and protein in your urine, but no stones,then there are tons of kidney diseases your looking at.

Ok........I had this in left side also, felt like either a lil guy with a knife stabbing my left kidney,,then like my kidney was contracting? I had blood and protein (these are signs of kidney disease), I was told iga nephropathy.......Disease..............Unt il yesterday........
Seems a new doc,,noticed my hearing loss and there is a kidney disease thats called alports disease that mimics lupus in lots of ways,,,way to diagnose it is.........Higher incidence in men (im a woman tho), hearing or eyesight loss/ kidney pain, protein, blood in urine..Elevated white blood cells, with lowered platelets.
What im tellin you here is ,,if you can get your protein level,,,,,your wbc white blood cell, platelet..........And you have any hearing loss or eyesight probs..Then alports needs ruled out.
If you have all of the above minus hearing and sight loss,,iga nephropathy needs to be ruled out.
Important: altho it affects both kidneys,,i , like you feel it in my left kidney........I will need dialysis and transplant........Eventually.
Keep me posted!!!!!!!!!!

Me (p.S. Ive studied so many, that as you find levels out...Let me know,,itll help me to help you)
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with urinary tract infection. To sort out kidney involvement by luphus, I would suggest you C3,C4 level and albumin creatinine ratio followed by biopsy.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.