I have been diagnosed with epilepsy for about 18 months and take 1400mg of epilim daily. My epilepsy isn't very severe (and it is all still pretty 'new' to me). For the past year or so i've found that I need far more sleep than normal, I can't concentrate for long periods and am really forgetful, and i've got an insatiable hunger that has caused me to gain about 10 kilograms. Can someone please tell me if this is a result of my epilepsy (does everyone go through this?), or is it possibly a side-effect of the epilim (my neuro told me epilim was a really good low side-effect drug though), or maybe i've just turned into a lazy, fat dummy for another reason altogether! Haha. Cheers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Epilim, depakote here, is really common to cause appetite increase and weight gain....

Sometimes trouble thinking can be part of meds too. It is not really a low side effect med, but most for seizures are not!

Hoping yu can find a way to work around the side effects. Good that your seizures are not too severe. Do you feel well controlled on the med?
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Sleepiness, lack of concentration and memory issues are defiantly an effect from epilim. I've been on 1500/day for around 5yrs now and once in that period had to go off for surgery (was monitored and came off during the hospital stay) and within 4 days was more alert and with it, didn't need to sleep during the day and could remember anything that went on plus stuff that I'd forgotten during the time on it.

But without it there's the down side of the seizures. But it's always an excuse for not remembering...
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....