My daughter (4 years old) has an abscess above her front tooth. Her dentist didn't want to treat the infection at all, he just want to pull the tooth first thing tomorrow morning. Is that normal? I would think they would try to treat it first since she will be with out a tooth for a few years.

Thanks for your help
Dean
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 1st, 2003
Its Normal
My 4 year old had to have a couple teeth taken out and they said the reason is because the infection is due to a bad tooth even if it isnt visible. It is better to get it out now then wait and have it infect or decay other teeth. I am glad my daughter got hers out. She hasnt had problems since.
|

replied October 17th, 2004
Kids Tooth Pull
My daughter had two pulled and the dentist tried to install a space maintainer.My daughter wouldnt let the dentist put it on.She was terrified.He said permanents wouldnt come in right without it.He lied.Her permanents have come in just fine and normal without it.He just wanted to make extra money.
|

replied October 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hey, dean.If your daughter has not seen a pediatric dentist,please have her see one asap!General dentists are not trained in the care of children's teeth and the challenges that they can present.If a pediatric dentist says that nothing further can be done to save the teeh,a "baby denture" can be placed to save your child the embarassment of being toothless for several years.It is not ,i repeat not, normal to have a child's tooth extracted unless, as with adult teeth,nothing further can be done.I wish you and your child the best.Patty
|

replied March 8th, 2010
As with any health issue, it is much easier and less costly to treat the problem as soon as possible. When it comes to saving money, prevention is also key. Both of my daughters had cavities at young ages. My dentist thought it was partially due to our city not having fluoride added to the water. He therefore recommended a product called Guide Chewing Gum, which is a gum that has both fluoride and xylitol added to it. I think you can find the site on google. It has only been 4 months since we've been using it, but so far, no new cavities.

Hope this helps. good luck. Jenn
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....