Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Cutting ! Mental Disorder ?

My 14yo daughter just told us that she has been cutting since last august. For the last 6 years she has lived with her grandparents and we were not allowed any contact with her. I don't know what to do now. I've told her that we love her and we don't want her to hurt herself anymore, but that seems too simple. Any advice would be welcome. She hasn't been diagnosed with any other disorders and isn't showing any other signs of problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 4th, 2008
hi
as a cutter i know what it is like for family to find out.
The best thing to do is say that you are there for her and will help her.
Ask her if she would consider counciling or therapy and just support her as much as you can. You should tell her grandparents to just look after her and not treat her any differently.
Meg.
|

replied September 6th, 2008
Cutting
Cutting is part of a disorder call borderline personality disorder. It's a complicated disorder to treat and needs to be address usually by intense therapy with a therapist specializing in this area.

This person tends to be called an attention seeker and will do things to draw attention to oneself. Their moods can become extreme from acting depressed to very angry outbursts. They tend to over react to events around them and constantly seek and cause drama all the time.

It's not that they sit there in the morning and decide...ahhhh, what can I do today to cause all heck to break loose....it just take over.

The usual cause of this disorder is physical or mental abuse, rape or a traumatic even in their life. You said that your daughter is living with her grandparents and you are not allowed any contact with her...why is that? Sounds like you found the root of the problem.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
im a 13 year old cutter and the simplist thing is to tell her you love her and if she can call someone and talk about something unrelated to cutting and thet means cooking is not to be talked about best of luck jewels
|

Cutter's Mom
Cutter's Mom

Cutting can be a scary thing for a mother to go through. I used to work with children with mental health disorders and most of the girls were cutters and a few boys as well. I've asked several of the girls about their reasoning behind it and most say it's a way to release emotion. One girl told me she could see she was alive if she saw herself bleed. Another told me that there is a voice that continues to bother her and it doesn't stop until she cuts. She said her emotions would go from depression(before), exhilaration(during), then guilt(after). These symptoms are much like that of bulimics as well. I've heard it's an adrenaline rush that keeps it reoccuring. I've worked with therapists that have prescribed medications such as antidepressants. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Has anything recently changed for her and specifically in August? Since it's pretty new the sooner you get her help the better. When children do it for longer periods of time the habit becomes a strong coping method and they continue to resort back to that behavior. Talk to her and talk especially about her emotions. Tell her it's ok to cry and be vulnerable. It's ok to feel. Sometimes we get lost on the path of feelings and take other routes because we feel it's the safest way even if it doesn't seem safe to others. Please get your daughter help now. Also, if she seeks therapy make sure it's a therapist she likes and enjoys. If she doesn't like her/him find a new one until she does. It makes all the difference believe me on this one.
|

Also I forgot to add that don't let diagnoses label your daughter. Just because your daughter cuts doesn't mean she's Borderline (previous poster). Just means she needs to seek mental health services to examine what is possibly going on and give her an outlet. Communication is key at this point. Again, good luck.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...