Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

I Have Some Q's About Horsetail Silica For My Thining Hair

My hair is thining and breaking more everyday. I read about this stuff called horsetail silica and it sounds great, but does anyone know how much im suppose to take and for how long? Also what is a good brand to get and where do I find it. Your help would be much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Don't waste you money, nor your time on crap "natural supplements".

You should be getting the nutrients needed in your diet along with maybe a once daily multivitamin.

Go to the salon and ask your stylist what shampoo and conditioner she/he would recommend you use for your particular hair problem.

Your family doctor may also be able to find a medical reason for your hair problem and then may be able to treat it. Otherwise, you may just as well go to the sugar bowl and eat a spoonful of that each day to repair your hair. At least with sugar, you know what you are eating and what should be expected by eating it.
|

replied May 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Horsetail silica works for me. I get the rainbow light brand called nail hair & skin connection. I bought it at whole foods. My hair feels stronger & less flyaway.
Good luck!
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Maybe it's too late to respond but...
As much diet is the way to go, we just don't get that much nutrients from them because it's always less than 50 percent. Not trying to say to take all bunch of vitamins and don't eact because even the vitamins have lots of fillers and you need a high doasge to reap the benfits. A blend is always good. But I take Flora silica tablets. They are excellent! I take three which is 30 mg of silica. It's high in quality, less fillers and my hair hardly breaks and it'sr eally strong. But it from Whole foods or iherb.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
I have used horsetail/silica capsules before when I got a bad haircut. Everytime I take it regularly I have someone ask me if I got extensions! I don't really know if I notice that it makes it grow that fast ..... but it must?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2011
can be cured very easily
MG method is known to improve the quality of hair, I have used it before. .
|

replied June 5th, 2012
The answer to the question is yes, silica has been proven to both strengthen and thicken hair - see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1796040 2. The specific type of silica was "choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid." This is available in BioSil brand, which comes in drops or pills. JarrowSil also has stabilized orthosilicic acid, although it doesn't specify "choline" stabilized, so that might change results.

Regarding the dose, BioSil packaging tells you how much to take for each circumstance.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....