Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Young Person With Renal Cell Carcinoma

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma when they were around 12 years old. When I was in seventh grade, I experienced very bad pain around my lower stomach, which radiated around to my lower back. My mom took me to the hospital, and there, after many tests they discovered I had a large mass on my kidney. After a couple more days, I went to a larger hospital, and had my left kidney removed. It's been five years now, almost six and i'm doing good. But I know my knid of cancer is rare in children, and it would be nice to talk to someone else who experienced something similar to what I had. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2004
Not As Young....
I was 24 (5 months ago) when I was treated for kidney cancer and they removed my left kidney as well. I was told time and time again how strange it was for a person to have this condition and in such an advanced state and how lucky I was to be alive. I unfortunately may have more cancerous cells.
I truely hope you are cancer free and remain that way. God has blessed and saved us both. Certainly a lot to be thankful for!
|

replied April 21st, 2005
I was diagnosed with rcc 2 months ago. I am a 30 year-old white female. Since then I have had surgery, had the tumor removed and had a partial nephrectomy. I have been made aware of how rare this cancer is for my age, sex, gender and race.
Because of this, I have done extensive research. (on the internet)

on another note..(but also related) I was diagnosed with epilepsy also, in june of 2004. I developed this from having severe migraines since the approximate age of 7. No one seems to know why i've had these migraines and no one (all the neurologists i've been to) can stop them. No medicines can stop them. I can honestly say I took 1 1/2 to 2 bottles of 50 count of excedrin migraine in a weeks time. This went on for years. My life was hell because of my chronic migraines. And since, the neurologist says I have developed brain damage and epilepsy from my many years of migraines.
To make a long story short, (too late) my research has shown that my years of taking excedrin migraine is what gave me a 4.7 cm malignant tumor on my kidney. Look it up on the excedrin migraine website, it even says excessive and long term use can cause kidney cancer.
So I am the cause of my own cancer. I am the cause of my families grief. I can't even tell my own family this. I carry this burden all by myself.
|

replied May 18th, 2005
Renal Cell Carcinoma
My sister was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma 2 weeks ago. The tumor is on her left kidney. It is wrapped around her inferior vena cava, attached to her stomach, spleen, and pancreas. She is only 28. She does not smoke or drink alcohol and we have no history of cancer in our family. She is scheduled for surgery to remove the tumor, along with the kidney, spleen, and part of the pancreas and stomach. I was wandering if anyone else has had or known anyone who has had a similar condition. The tumor is the size of a basketball! Please help us. Thanks!
|

replied May 18th, 2005
Does she have a history of chronic long term medication history? This is the only link I have to my cancer. I work for a physician and was told how completly rare it was that I was diagnosed with the cancer, until the medication fact was discovered.
I am truelly sorry to hear of this. But please know that the recovery rate is very high and i'm sure she'll do fine.
My tumor was no where near the size of hers and i'm no expert. Nor am I a very medically smart person. All I can say is that my thoughts and concerns are with you and your family. And know that I hope everything turns out okay for everyone.
Please know that I am here for you, should you have any questions or concerns. I may not be the best for answers, but i'll do the best I can.
Love,
ami
|

replied May 18th, 2005
She hasn't ever been on any routine medications. She takes claritan for her allergies sometimes and she takes advil when she has a headache. Did you have your tumor removed surgically? Was it attached to any other organs? Were your lymph nodes involved? I'm just trying to find out as much information as I can. I hope you are doing alright now. Hopefully, you are cancer-free and healthy now. Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. I appreciate it!!
|

replied May 23rd, 2005
I had my tumor frozen. It's still there. It's just dead and frozen. It was only attached to my kidney, but it was partly outside of my kidney. But it did not affect anything else. I was extremly lucky. My lymph nodes were not involved. (i'm trying to answer all of your questions) the only problems i'm suffering from now, is internal swelling, which they say is normal. The swelling from all other organs, but especially the tumor. It's very uncomfortable. As before, I did not know the tumor was there, now I do. This in time, will go away. (in about 1 and 1/2 years)
and nerve damage from the surgery. That caused major pain. I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon. But i'm recovering from that now.
I hope she does okay.
By no means am I trying to be negative, but I am not on the same level as your sister. I only hope she does okay.
Please keep me posted.
Ami
|

replied November 22nd, 2005
Have any of you been tested for von hippel lindau?
|

replied March 31st, 2009
i had renal cell cancer of left kidney to and i am 32 they remove my kidney but now i am have really bad migrains. i wonder if this is normal
|

replied April 20th, 2011
i had renal cell carcinoma when i was 36 , i had my left kidney removed , i didnt need any chemo or radiation, i am now 58 so i think if you get diagnose early that is what its all about.
|

replied September 10th, 2012
RCC
My son was diagnosed in March 2012 with RCC and he is 6 years old. We took him in for stomach pains to a local ER and after running some scans they sent us to MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina). His right kidney and lymph nodes around his kidney were all removed. MUSC did a wonderful job removing the cancer and were exceptionally awesome to him and all of us. Two weeks after surgery he was back in school and even playing t-ball. Everyone was amazed that he bounced back so quick. I mean to have your kidney removed and then be back in school playing sports even if it is only t-ball really says a lot about him. Not once did he show any signs of fear. We were upfront with him and told him what was going on and the details of it. I think this helped him coupe with it. It's going on 6 months since his surgery and no signs of the cancer. Very greatful and thanful for MUSC and everyone that was there for us and supported us.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....