Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Anyone Else "lost" Parathyroid Following Thyroidec

Hi folks,
i'm new to this forum - I was just wondering if anyone else, like me. Is suffering from hypoparathyroidism after having surgery for removal of thyroid gland perchance ??
I "lost" my parathyroid some 10 years ago and have had to take calcium medication ever since and will for the rest of my life.
Would apprevciate a response form anyone in the same boat.
Thanks
bj :)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 18th, 2005
Not In the Same Boat But..
It is my understanding that the doctors don't like to take out the parathyroid when they do a thyroidectomy because of it's close proximity to the vocal cords and/or voice box. I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember having read at one point. Therefore, if I am correct, the parathyroid is now acting like your thyroid was?

10 years ago and you have been on the meds all that time? How do you feel? Were you hypo? Did you have a weight problem if you were hypo? I cannot believe all the trouble this one gland in my neck can cause. It affects so much of what we do.

I wish I had more info for you-take care
liza
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....