Hey all. I've had this hunch in my neck/upper back since high school. I've been trying to find out about it and i've discovered it most resembles a condition most commonly called "buffalo hump."

based on the causes i've read about online it seems to be related to my obesity. It appeared about the time I got heavy. So, if I lose weight does it diminish?

If not, is there any way to "cure" it? Or at least make it less prominent or prevent it from getting worse?

If the news is bad, tell me anyway.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 12th, 2005
Question
Is it really hard when you push on it? I was watching this medical show and this woman had something similiar to what you are describing (not sure if its the same thing) well she got liposuction after losing lots of weight and they had to use liposuction to get it out. They said that hers was really hard and it was between the shoulder blades but a little above that just below the neck. Maybe it goes away but maybe it doesnt. If this woman had the same thing you have, then maybe it doesnt just go away after weight loss...?
|

replied April 13th, 2005
Nah, it's squishy like a fat roll on my neck. I've been losing weight and it's already gone down a bit. If it never goes away completely, o.K. But i've been encouraged.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
Buffalo Hump
You might have your doctor check you for Cushing Syndrome which can be caused by steroids given for asthma or arthritis, etc. Also, insulin resistance which eventually gets diagnosed as type II diabetes. Even if your blood glucose tests OK you can produce too much insulin. You can find a lot of information about this on line and some of the sights that discuss "buffalo hump" bring up these conditions. I have lost some weight also, but not in the "hump" area. One doctor thought it was a "dowager hump", but it's too high up and my calcium levels are exellent.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
You might have your doctor check you for Cushing Syndrome which can be caused by steroids given for asthma or arthritis, etc. Also, insulin resistance which eventually gets diagnosed as type II diabetes. Even if your blood glucose tests OK you can produce too much insulin. You can find a lot of information about this on line and some of the sights that discuss "buffalo hump" bring up these conditions. I have lost some weight also, but not in the "hump" area. One doctor thought it was a "dowager hump", but it's too high up and my calcium levels are exellent.
|

replied September 19th, 2011
I had been obese and I had this problem, but I lost a lot of weight. Although the hump is gone, I can feel the damage it's done to my spine. My posture is horrible as well and my back is still rounded. So yes it will shirnk, but you need to work on a lot more tht just your weight. Good Luck!
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....