Hi all

have been given the option of steriods to calm down my crazy system - right now no sight in one eye, no feeling from the waist down and numb right arm. It's not totally disabling but it's been two months now and i'm really fed up with it all. I've had some feedback from people saying definately go for it cause it will sort it out but i've always refused steriods in the past mainly because of the possible side effects.

Does anyone have any feedback from experience of i/v steroids? Like I said I am so fed up with it all now that i'm probably just gonna go for it but I thought i'd ask you all first.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Cheers

ste
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 7th, 2005
Done...no Change!
Well, had the steroids (prednisilone 1000mg i/v x3) and absolutely nothing's changed. I know it isn't a 'cure' or affecting the ms in any long term way but I just wanted all the symptoms gone and now it's been three day's since I finished the course...Nothing. No change at all. I'm gutted :( having spoken to others that have had them I guess my hopes were a little too high.

My neuro did mention that he would see me in three weeks to establish whether I needed some more and obviously I will which also sucks cause I don't think i've ever been as down as they made me feel yesterday.

Has anyone else out there experienced not a lot from steroids and then found them effective later on? Right now I feel that remission is a pipe dream and i'm totally fed up.

Listen to me - whine whine whine. Please feel free to ignore me completely!
|

replied March 11th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there -
steroids are sort of anti-inflammatories, so maybe there isn't any benefit straight away. I don't have any experience with it myself. I've had the optic neuritis, lost about 50% of vision and almost all colour vision, in one eye. That was a year ago, and now eyesights seems totally back to normal -- that was without any treatment at all.

One thing you'll probably need to develop is patience. The disease can be pretty unpredictable, so you need to learn about your body and how it works. Good luck.
|

replied March 16th, 2005
Steroids
Hey poopoo I know that u said u regained yr sight back without any treatment.. Wanted to ask, how long did it take for your sight/eye to return to normal?
|

replied February 2nd, 2006
I/v Steroids
I have had ms now for 16 years & iv steroids is the only think that works for me I am 43 just remember to take a high calcium suppliment every day to ward off osteoporosis
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! Are any of you on the injectables for ms ssuch as copaxone and any of the others. If so, have they helped much, I could not handle oral steroids, all they did was made me fat! I did do ok with the epdural steroid injection with the marcain drip, I have rsd but dr still feels I have ms. Along with other medical problems, also optical neuritis.

The best to you all!
|

replied February 6th, 2006
I've no experience with iv steroids but my current neuro has me on a daily low dose of oral prednisone (5 mg one day and 10 mg the next on alternating days) and it has made a world of difference for me. I've been on it for 5 years and no adverse side effects as of yet ... Bone density still excellent, etc. Had much numbness and tingling in my arms, thighs and torso and my first neuro said, "live with it, you have ms." ... Simply not acceptable to me. This neuro is much more proactive and i'm thankful for his 5 years of care (i've had ms for 10 years). I was ravenously hungry when I started and really had to be careful to maintain my weight (which I successfully did) and also am diligent about exercise and calcium supplements. Good luck with whatever you decide.
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Iv Steriods
I have taken solu medrol iv more often than I can count over the years. In the past I had great relief from the symptoms. In the last 7 months I did a 3 day round and then later a 5 day round without any results. My doctor had made me aware in the past that a infection can curb the results. It had happen before with a simple bladder infection. I recently found out I had an infection in my jaw that is rare (i had it once as a teenager). By this time I was barley able to walk, I no longer was driving due to a lack of vision and a large amount of other symptoms. I was scared. I had surgery on my jaw and recovered quickly. I just completed a 3 day round, I believe its 1 grams a day, of solu medrol and its amazing. Within 2 weeks I am up and about. My balance is still poor but im going to physical therapy to improve it. I know this is long but when I first became sick a woman that had ms for several years "warned" me about steriods. I avoided them as long as possible. Thankfully I have a great doctor whom I trust, so with her advice I tried them. I have very little problems, inability to sleep, yeast infections, and probably the most bothersome is a terrible taste that I get( metal mouth) I ve heard it called. I have great success from the steriod iv and very little side effects. Every person is different but be sure you dont have any infections and I pray you have some relief. Hang in there hope this helps.
Chris
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Steriod Iv~ Oops
Oops sorry~ I know the reply was long but I realized I forgot to add that alot of people have problems with weight gain but I shocked my doctor and actually always lose weight after taking the iv. I had to share that my weight is because I enjoy the taste of food... With the taste that I get I have not found anything that covers the taste. It is easy to control my eating. The taste usually resides after 2 weeks. Ok I promise I wont add more...Lol chris
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....