Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Throat Swelling...need Advice

Ok I will try to keep this as short as possible, but I want to make sure all the facts are given. About 2-3 weeks ago I came down with a pretty common cold. Stuffy nose, sore throat, nothing that major. Once the cold was gone I had developed a big canker sore on the bottom right side of the tongue. The only symptom of my cold that remained was the sore throat but I thought nothing of it since it is the winter and everyone tends to get little bugs throughout the winter. The sore was really bothering me so I applied oragel on it and when I did I shined a light in my mouth to see the sore and noticed that on the same side of the sore there was swelling in the back of my throat, maybe tonsil, maybe some other gland, I dont know which is really which back there. At first I was worried but I did some research and found that canker sores can cause swelling. I could feel the swelling in my neck at the time. The canker sore healed and my throat no longer hurt and when I would feel my neck (and I did so numerous times just to make sure becuase I am a paranoid person), I would no longer feel any swelling. However last night I looked and there was still the swelling in the back of the throat. There is no pain, no symptoms of anything else, and no puss or discoloration at the swelling. For the week that I thought my throat was fine I was drinking a lot, not getting much sleep and not eating very well. I was just wondering if the swelling going down is a gradual process and can take a while and if me drinking and not treating my body well could also slow down the process. Again, I can no longer feel it in my neck and there is absolutely no pain. If I had never shined the light in my throat I would have never known it existed. Should I just be patient and try to treat my body better or is this something I should be concerned about. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Whenever there is a sore like that, just to be on the safe side, you should go to a doctor. It probably isn't much, but you should get it diagnosed.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Hi
Just curious. Have you had nasal swelling in the past. Because I still have this swelling back of my throat. It was started as a nasal swelling(allergy) 3 years ago. Whenever I get triggered by allergen I used to get swelled in my nose. Now it's on my throat and deep inside the nose.
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....