Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Has Anyone Had a Tummy Tuck (Page 1)

I'm seriously considering a tummy tuck I had a child 6 years ago and csection my lower abs no matter what I do wont go down what should I do no kind of exercise responds to it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Thank You So Much For Responding
Ive been doing bowflex off and on and I have a stationary bike for quite some time still I see no response in that lower ab. :(
|

replied November 29th, 2012
Tummy Tuck Houston TX
TummyTuckHoustonTX.net

If you feel that youre protruding or sagging belly is making you unattractive and everything you tried has failed you may be considering an abdominoplasty. Tummy tuck also referred to as a tummy tuck, the procedure is growing popular and is used by both men and women who feel they are losing the battle against an unwanted bulge around the midsection.
|

replied March 19th, 2005
I have the tummy tuck question also how much is it how long does it hurt and how nasty does the scar look and how long is the scar??????? :?
|

replied March 20th, 2005
Experienced User
There are some cases where exercise will not fix the tummy area. The problem stems with the fact that after the skin is stretched, in some people it does not shrink back to normal. In these cases a tummy tuck is the only way to fix it. If you've tried everything, it's probably the best solution. I don't personally know anyone who's had it, so I can't answer about the procedure itself.
|

replied March 20th, 2005
I bet it hurts like hell :oops:
|

replied April 15th, 2005
Tummy Tuck Vs. Liposuction
The surgical approach of the tummy tuck operation involves a wide curvilinear incision from the left side to the right side, mobilization of the skin from the pubic region up to the ribs, and placing of drains. It is really a major procedure.

Depending on the amount of excess fat to be removed, abdominal liposuction is an excellent method of spot reduction for the abdomen and waist and is often considered as the preferred initial procedure.

Abdominal skin contracts remarkably after liposuction. If there is loose skin still remaining after 6 months, this can be easily removed as an outpatient surgery procedure under local anesthesia only. Abdominal liposuction entails less risk than a tummy-tuck and may even be done as an outpatient procedure. The patient is able to walk around immediately after the procedure.

If your problem is just the abdomen area, I think liposuction would be better option for you.
|

replied April 24th, 2005
Tummy Tuck
I had one over two years ago!!!! I have a lap!!! That is the only good thing I have. I have been in pain for 2 years now!!! I know other people who have had them and are fine. No one really knows why i'm hurting only that a suture may be hitting a nerve. If I had to do it over again I would have had a partial tummy tuck done. That is only the skin removed and liposuction. Nothing with the muscles. I paid around $8000.00 in all. I would go to several surgons and have them all give you a price and I wouldn't go with the one who can get you in first. I was in a wedding and I went with the one who could get me in right away and he was the cheapest one too. I know in some cases if your back is bothering you your insurance will cover it. The surgon I should of had do it was going to see if he could get insurance to cover it. My husbands aunt had it done and loves it and her insurance covered it. Hers came out perfect! Didn't mean to scare you just wanted to let you know. Angie
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Tummy Tuck Vs. Liposuction
If it's really just one area that's bothering you, just have liposuction. In the philippines it will only cost you $800 for that one area.

|

replied May 15th, 2005
Yes, I Have.
Hi amanda,

my name is jane. I just had a full tummy tuck on may 9th along with a breast tuck and augmentation. I am 40 and have had three children one of which is 19. About 90% of all the damage to my skin, whether it was abdominal, inner thigh, breast, upper arm and lower back and buttocks, came from that pregnancy. Stretch marks are the culprit or extra skin. That was at the age of 21. I was overweight as a child and had some minor stretch marks from that. You cannot reduce extra skin, so if you just have a bulge but no stretch marks, I would say go for the lipo and lots of exercise. Walking is the best way to start if you are not used to doing much adding sit-ups when you can. I also lift weights now, I love it because it has cured my headaches and lower back pain. It is about core strength.
If you have stretch marks. You have extra skin. In that case you need to go to consults with many surgeons to decide who is right for you, to get questions answered and to decide the extent of what you want. They will be able to show you before and after shots of people who had similar body structure to yourself. Do not go the philippines to save money. Find board certified plastic surgeon who operates out of an up-to-date, clean medical facility. There are a lot of plastic surgeons who give free consults. Call, call, call and ask them.
Getting back to me, today is day 6 and I am not in much discomfort at all. I am taking one vicodin every four hours and one ibuprofen every 6 hours. The discomfort I have in the incision region is a pulling sensation as it is mostly numb. Now and then there is a slight burning sensation. When I woke up, I did not fell searing pain or the need to yell out and I am a baby when it comes to pain. Don't forget I have had multiple procedures. I have more discomfort in my breasts, burning sensation and similar minor pain like when you have your period and they are swollen. Some pinching here and there. Nothing that has made me want to scream or cry. I opted to have drains inserted to minimalize the chance of infection. Four in all. Two stemming from my pubic region below the incision and one on either side of each breast under the arm. Long rubber tubes that lead to a grenade shaped container that has a vavle release. I had to empty them twice a day, a bit gross, but I did it. I had my surgery on monday and went back that friday for a recheck and to have sutures, staples and drains removed. The sutures in my breasts did not hurt to be removed only and occasional pinch. The staples in my stomach in the middle I could not feel at all because it is still very numb there. The staples on either end of the incision pinched somewhat, but I was able to handle it. The drain tubes removed from my pubic region, they have their own teeny incision and are sutured to your skin, did not feel to good when pulled out but I was ok. The drain tubes removed from either side of my breasts were painful to slide out an extreme burning sensation that lasted about 1 to 2 minutes. The actual pulling lasted about 2 seconds. Most of my concern would be anesthesia! I don't like it. I had general. It stays in your system for quite some time. It can make you quite nauseated. I did not throw up but felt woozy. Another concern would be when they intibate you, ask them not to jerk your neck around, but your neck will be slightly sore for a bit afterwards.
My concern right now is that my stomach is swollen not a lot, but tight and swollen and I know it is way too soon, but I want to be assured that it will get flatter!!! I paid a little over $11,000 for all. I would start exercise right away, before surgery. Get in shape first and by that I mean, your muscles, even if you can't see the results because the more fit you are going into surgery the quicker the healing time!
Well, amanda, I hope I have helped with some of your concerns. This is my experience and my opinion. It may have been different good or bad for others. Take your time with your decision and take care.

Jane
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Ps
Just a side note amanda. I see you are from new jersey. My surgeon is out of doylestown, pa about 2 hours from me if you would like to talk to him, just let me know and I will give you info. He is funny and makes you feel at ease.
|

replied December 7th, 2012
I haven't had a tummy tuck, but I'm thinking about it. I almost decided to have the surgery, but after lookign through some reviews I changed my mind a bit..If to believe in what I read, this surgery is quite dangerous and painful, so I have doubts..What would you recommend?
|

replied May 15th, 2005
For Sirdpressedalot
I do whole heartedly agree with your suggestion of exercise and eating well, however, since you are an 18 year male, I would not think you have much experience with what it is like to have babies and have your body wrenched apart. However, you sound like an intelligent young man with common sense on your side. As for your own anomaly, I would suggest the same advice of going to as many free consults with surgeons. I also had rhinoplasty about four years ago. I had no discomfort with that and did not take a single pain pill. The worst part was when they removed the streri strips from inside my nose. It took about ten minutes, but felt like my brain was being pulled through my nostril, but I would do it again. I love my nose. I have heard there is not much discomfort at all when dealing with facial surgery, but that is just what I have heard. I am considering a brow lift in upcoming years and will keep you posted.

Peace out,
jane
|

replied May 15th, 2005
Medical Tourism
I think there are advantages and disadvantages when you go abroad for medical procedures, the main advantage being the substantial savings for people who otherwise can't afford these procedures in their home country. Wherever you have it done, you should definitely go to a qualified plastic surgeon (and contrary to what those who haven't been to the philippines think, we do have many highly trained plastic surgeons with clean medical facilities). This is better than going to an untrained plastic surgery provider in your home country to save on costs.
|

replied July 19th, 2005
After 2 c-sections that left my stomach looking like a rear-end (i had 2 cheeks running from the belly button to the bikini-line), I am one month post-op from a tummy tuck. I work out almost every day and have good muscle tone, and am not fat. I did work very hard getting into even better shape in the months prior to my operation, but I did not do this for weight loss...I did it to fix what I considered a disfigurement. No amount of excersize would have ever made a significant difference before...It was a matter of how big or small my 2nd ass (old tummy) was.

Now, post tummy tuck, I am thrilled with my results. It was painful, but not as bad as the first c-section (a vertical incision), maybe a little more so than the 2nd one (which was a horizontal bikini-line incision).

It's a personal choice, like everything else, but for me...It has made huge improvements in my life and how I feel about myself, which translates into how I interact with the world, and how much more fully engaged I feel in my life.

And it isn't just aesthetic...I no longer have uncomfortable flaps of skin hanging onto my groin and upper thighs when I sit. It is much more comfortable, even when I still had post-op pain.

That's my 2 cents.
|

replied April 18th, 2006
to Amanda
Hi there, I am 12 days post op for a mini tummy tuck (altho' its only mini due to the fact that they didn't move my belly button....)
i can honestly say that I have had worse periods!! There is discomfort as in tightness and pulling but no pain at all..The only thing that frightened me was discovering that I had gone into atrial fibrillation on the table..So not sure how that will affect any future ops as due to have a tvt in may or june.
My swelling is going down daily, I had some spectacular localised bruising, and most of all I am dying to stretch out like a cat then lay flat and sleep without the aid of 8 pillows behind my back and another 3 under my knees!!!!!!
I cant wait to see the results..And altho' the scar runs from hip to hip it is exactly where I asked for it..Ie hidden under a thong!!! After living with a stretched baggy pouch for 22 years (i am 41 yo) it's me time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
|

replied March 20th, 2008
Hi Amanda
I, too, had a child 6 years ago and although I had always been a chubby girl/teenager, I never had a belly and maintained my weight consistently....until after giving birth to my 9.8lbs daughter who left me with a HUGE amount of excess abdominal skin. I lost all of the 25lbs gained during pregnancy plus an additional 30lbs and my belly looked worst instead of better. It may seem vain that I obsessed about my abs, but I owed it to myself to look great....we all do. I work out 5-6 days per week for 2-3 hours per day with a personal trainer and I follow a low calorie diet, to no avail....So, I finally, after many years of tummy tuck research, decided to get the procedure done on Saturday, March 15, 2008. It is now 5 days post and I feel GREAT. I hoped for the best, but I also prepared for the worst. It is NOT as bad or as painful as everyone seems to think. It all depends on YOUR tolerance to pain....I still think that giving birth to my daughter, naturally with NO meds, was MUCH MORE PAINFUL....hands down. I only used the oxycodone the first 2 nights and have not needed them since. I do, however, suggest that you do ALL of the research necessary and speak to as many plastic surgeons as possible.
|

replied April 18th, 2008
tummy tuck
Hi, I had a tummy tuck in Prague (Asklepion clinic) and could only recommend it! I was very impressed with the results of the operation and the service I received at the Asklepion clinic.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
If you are considering surgery in the USA or Europe I would highly suggest you consider looking into going for surgery in South America. Brazil, Colombia and Argentina are all well known for there surgeons and they truly are a step above there USA and European counterparts. The one thing to consider when traveling to South America is travel distance Brazil and Argentina are much further than Colombia from Europe and the USA. In the case of the USA, Colombia is 2.5 hours from Miami and Brazil and Argentina 6-9 depending on where you are going. Now you have exchange rates Brazil has the strongest currency exchange rate vs the Dollar and Euro therefore the savings is not really comparable to Argentina and Colombia. So in my opinion I would say you are now left to choose between Argentina and Colombia. I have been researching many companies in all of these countries and you can see from my written passage here I have done my research. When comparing all factors as to Board Certified Physicians, Accommodations, Customer service, Price, Travel time, and overall experience of previous clients. I would say dollar for dollar the best company I have found is Cosmetic Harmony. I have been receiving quotes from so many companies over the past 5 months trying to figure out with one to choose. My experience with them Cosmetic Harmony has been nothing but top notch. First of all they have as USA office in Florida. #1 thing that made me feel comfortable. They also have a Panama office and then of course a Colombia one. I requested a quote from them which I received in 2 hours unlike some other companies which I received weeks later or never got back to me. The staff speaks English and yes English I could understand perfectly. There employees are clients as well that is HUGE!! Board Certified Physicians another huge factor. When I asked to speak to previous clients no problem they gave me plenty and they are all happy with there results. They are just on it really organized and really professional. I felt so comfortable with them. There price was slightly higher than some of the quotes I received from other companies but seriously you have to consider this I am already saving a tremendous amount of money by going there I can't logically risk my health and safety for a few dollars. So there is my recommendation for all of you #1 choice Cosmetic Harmony . I hope this helps you all!!
|

replied February 20th, 2009
2 weeks post op
I had my full tummy tuck Feb 4, 2009 after having 3 large babies. I had a stable weight of 140lb. for the past 18 months, after my last baby. Also, my weight never exceeded that outside of my pregnancies. My suggestion is to first make sure you are at a healthy weight for 18 months to 2 years, and that you have a commitment to a healthy lifestyle before having the surgery. Otherwise, you can easily gain weight after the surgery and ruin all the results. The pain wasn't that bad. I took meds for 2 days and was back at work part time on the 5th day. The worst part is the "worrying" of wondering if every little burning or tugging feeling is a torn suture or just nerves reconnecting. At any rate, I am adjusting to the back/hip pain and standing straighter with each passing day. My surgeon in Wilmington, NC was amazing. My belly button looks "real" and he did a fantastic job! I would recommend him to anybody, including my own family members. He was very reasonable in his rate. I only paid $7085 and he did some touch up lipo around the hips while I was in surgery. He went above and beyond! Good luck with your decision. But, don't let pain discourage you. And, do it for the right reason. Mine was due to the pain in my back and shoulders from carrying around the weight. I weighed 10 lbs less when I came out of surgery. Almost ALL of that was from the tummy area!
|

replied October 16th, 2011
Who was your plastic surgeon? I live in Wilmington and am looking into getting a tummy tuck. Smile
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Congratulations, peachpen995. You sound very inspiring. Its good that you have finally got the answer to your back and shoulder pain.

For those who seek for the best plastic surgeon, I suggest they do a thorough research. Board Certified and well-experienced plastic surgeons are very much recommended. For those who want to save cost, they can opt to have their surgeries done abroad. Modern medical tourism is widely practiced today. Countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, and Colombia are among the popular countries visited by most patients especially for affordable plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery. To save more, patients may look for an all-inclusive package of plastic surgery to the country of their choice. Companies like GoSculptura, offer an all-inclusive package which includes your hotel accommodation, personal assistant, meals, and your plastic surgery. This will be very convenient for patients instead of having them all booked by yourself separately.
|

replied May 17th, 2009
looking for a dr. for my tummy tuck
i am looking for a good dr. to do my tummy tuck in New jersey. i also need a little lipo, but i am looking to spend around $6500 to $7500. i hate to put a price on it but i have to its all i have for this, but i see that thats the going price. but i want to know if anyone out there know a good dr. for me in New Jersey? i was thinking of going to miami because i was thinking they do so many there that its probly like 2nd nature? any way please help.
|