My best friend is bulimic she just told me 2 days ago. Shes only been doing it for 2 weeks but im scared for her and I want to help her. I tell her shes hurting herslef and she says I know but I jsut cant stop I cant control it. She told me not to tell anyone and that shes trying to stop. Im having her come to my house for the weekend so I can watch her and make sure she doesnt throw up her dinner. She says that shes fine for breakfast and lunch but when dinner comes she just cant help it and throws it up. She said ...Well like I use to think about it...But now it just happens....Bc like when I started doing it was like okay if I eat then it will be okay but if I throw up it would be better bc im going to be throwing up the fat in t he food and like taking in the protiens...I told her that thats really not what happens and she said I know and I dont want to do it anymore but ijust cant stop. She begged me not to tell anyone I said okay but as long as she can get it to stop but I told her that if it doesnt stop im getting her help. I dont know what to do or say to her to help her im scared shes been my best friend forever and we have never been in a fight and I dont want her to get mad at me for telling someone about her problem but I wanna help. I dont know what to do :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Bulimia
:cry: if you truly are her best friend & care about her you can't keep this a secret. This is a very powerful disease & she will only get worse. I started my bulimia&anorexia when I was in my teens & it took me many years to get over it. Your friend needs professional help & the sooner she gets it, the better her chances are to get over this. Many people die from this -- even after 2 weeks her heart & other organs could be affected --- so tell her parents or yours or a school counselor or some adult you trust. Tell her she can't fight it alone.
Don't wait!
|

replied February 21st, 2005
I think thats what I am going to do...Shes never done anything in front of me before she stayed the weekend at my house, but on sat night we were hyper and we just had some cake and she goes watch this and stuck her finger down her throat and I was like nowhat are you doing nad she was like here ill teach you it gets rid of the fat, I had to sit on top of her so she wouldnt do anything and then I talked to her and was like do u do this everynight and she was like why? And I was like oh im jw and she was like im not telling you and I was like you really need to get help! And shes like no its fine im fine dont worry about it and I was like no ur going to end up like our friend(shes anorexic) and shes like no its fine ill stop and I was like you need help to stop just tell your mom and she was like no! I swear to god if u tell anyone ill hate you forever and I was like remember our pinky promise we made? (a couple of months ago we made a pinky promise that if either of us went bulemic or anorexic we would stop eachother) and she was like fine ill stop I pinky promise...And I was like but you still need help just try and stop and then have your mom watch you and make sure and I made her pinky promise she would tell her mom monday but if she doesnt I think I am going to call her mom and tell her cuz im scared and I dont want her to be hurt even if she does hate me id rather her be okay and hate me then be hurting herself and us be friends. Oh and shes skinny and she was like do you want to know my secret and I was like what she was like only eat 500 calories a day....She doesnt eat breakfast has a salad at lunch and usually nothing for dinner...Is that anorexic?
|

Experienced User
:roll: yes your friend sounds very eating disordered & yes you should tell her mom! She may hate you at first (although inside some part of her will be thankful because she is really begging you for help with all that weird throwing up cake stuff). But later whn she is better she will be lad you did get help for her. You are both so young & this disease could ruin her life if she doesn't get over it early. 500 calories a day is ridiculous. It's starvation. Most people need @2,000 calories every day & growing girls even more. 1500 is a weight-loss diet. So please get her some help! Good luck!
|

Yeah I was thinking that maybe she told me knowing I would help but I wasnt sure. She was at my house all weekend and I mean we ate normally and she seemed fine and didnt throw up at all, just saturday night and then after that happend I talked to her and told her she needs to get some help but she swore on her grams grave she would stop, I guess ill keep watch on her and if she keeps doing it I guess ill tell her mom and have her hate me for a while...Hopfully she will get over it because I dont know what I would do with out her...Shes like my other half.
|

replied February 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
I know she wants to quit & when she swears she will i'm sure she means it but as I said this disease is so powerful that she may break her promise. It sounds like you care very much about her --- so please get her some help. She will be happy & healthy once again & then she will be around to be your friend for a long time instead of in a hospital or worse... I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts & hope all is well. She can e-mail me too if she wants. Believe me i've been there & I know how sad & scary it is to have this monster inside you.
Kristina
|

Experienced User
I know she wants to quit & when she swears she will i'm sure she means it but as I said this disease is so powerful that she may break her promise. It sounds like you care very much about her --- so please get her some help. She will be happy & healthy once again & then she will be around to be your friend for a long time instead of in a hospital or worse... I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts & hope all is well. She can e-mail me too if she wants. Believe me i've been there & I know how sad & scary it is to have this monster inside you.
Kristina
|

Experienced User
Kristina
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....