Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

What Is Going On With Me?

I have been on birth control for the past year or so. I was on alesse for most of the time, then my doctor switched me to levlite. I just finished my first month on this new bc and was supposed to have my period this week. I'm on a sunday start, so I usually get my period on wednesday or thursday at the latest. Well, it's saturday night and I still haven't started my period. My husband and I were a little freaked out since we were definitely not planning on kids any time soon. So, I just took a pregnancy test (first response) and it said negative. This relieved us a bit, but still i'm trying to figure out why I don't have my period yet. Could the change in birth control effect it that much? Or, is it possible that I am pregnant and the test was wrong? Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 2nd, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi cassiclausen,

birth control pills are never 100% effective. In fact they are about 99.7% - 99.9% effective and although a change in brand of pill shouldn't make any difference it may have been interupted in some way. I'm really not sure. If the pregnancy test result was negative then you are probably not pregnant. Worry and stressing about not getting your period will almost certainly delay your period. So try to relax and hopefully it will come soon. If you are still worried you could ask your doctor for a blood test, but i'm sure everything will be fine and your period will return to normal very soon.

Good luck,

suzy
|

replied November 2nd, 2003
Experienced User
Switching brands can definately have an effect on your period. Your body was already used to one brand and by switching it can be sending mixed signals to your body. I was also on alesse and switched to otc, and I went from starting on wednesday to starting on sunday.

Don't stress as that can make you late as well. When in doubt call your doctor.
|

replied October 3rd, 2008
changing your bc brand definetly can cause you to be late or not even get it i have been switching my bc alot in the last couple years on dr.s orders and they tell me everytime that your period bein late or not getting it at all is normal so i wouldnt be to worried but if you still have worries wait a week or so and try another test:)
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
aces9765 wrote:
changing your bc brand definetly can cause you to be late or not even get it i have been switching my bc alot in the last couple years on dr.s orders and they tell me everytime that your period bein late or not getting it at all is normal so i wouldnt be to worried but if you still have worries wait a week or so and try another test:)

This post is 5 years old. I'm pretty sure she's figured out by now whether she was pregnant or not.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...