This is not about being pregnant. But ever since I got pregnant I moved out of my apt. At college back home w/ my parents. My roommate just asked me if I was gonna still help pay bills? Am I being rude for not paying bills, I mean i'm not living there anymore? She's mad now b/c she's gonna have to pay an extra 40 dollars a month. What do ya'll think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2005
Advanced Support Team
Re: Random Question
redsugar wrote:
this is not about being pregnant. But ever since I got pregnant I moved out of my apt. At college back home w/ my parents. My roommate just asked me if I was gonna still help pay bills? Am I being rude for not paying bills, I mean i'm not living there anymore? She's mad now b/c she's gonna have to pay an extra 40 dollars a month. What do ya'll think?

was there a contract or anything??? If your not living there I wouldnt be paying bills that is for sure. And why hasnt she found another roommate yet.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Me, personally I would pay until they found another roomate. $40 could be a lot of money to some people. You might not know her whole situation and think about how you might feel if you were in her shoes. Since you're living with your parents it shouldn't be too much trouble for you to pay until she finds another roomate, as long as she is really looking for one. You could maybe help her find one too.
|

Experienced User
No there wasn't a contract or anything, just for the apt. Rent, and I pay that. And she can't find another roommate b/c everybody alredy has leases. But it's only for 3 more months....I dunno, maybe i'm being rude, but the way I look at it is she is the one using the utilities so she should be the one paying for it
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
redsugar wrote:
no there wasn't a contract or anything, just for the apt. Rent, and I pay that. And she can't find another roommate b/c everybody alredy has leases. But it's only for 3 more months....I dunno, maybe i'm being rude, but the way I look at it is she is the one using the utilities so she should be the one paying for it

like I said I wouldnt be paying it if thats all it is. I just hope its not in your name or I would shut them off and let her get it in her own name. And then there is no issue over who pays it.. Good luck to you
|

Extremely eHealthy
Look at it this way, if she knew you were going to get preg and leave her with this bill the last three months she may have gotten another roomate. If you're still paying some other bills, why not pay the last $40?
|

Experienced User
Well if there was no contract then you don't have to pay. But it would be nice of you to help her for the next three monthes sents you are living with your parents. I also think that if you had a verbal agreement then you have to pay or she can carry you to court. There is alot of court that reckize verbal agreements but there is some that don't would you won't to take that chance though.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I know this can be tough to hear but sometimes you have to look out for #1......If there's no contract, then there's no reason why you should pay.....Unless of course you are feeling very generous and can afford to be paying for her living there....
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Haah what? If you dont live there you dont pay bills your not rude at all and thats not your commitment... If you gave her no notice and moved out in like 2 weeks you should/it would be nice to help for like 2 weeks/30 days but other than that she needs to find a new roommate
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...