Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Anybody Been Told They Have Lupus And Ms ??

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromylagia, sjogren's, and raynauds in 1998, I quit going to my rheumy, until this spring when I started feeling sick in april, falling around, pressure headache that nothing would help, couldn't think right, slow drawn out talking, they did a brain mri and found plaque in the white matter of my brain and said it showed a collagen vascular disorder with a demyelinating process. This all lasted until august, I still am dizzy and fall around. Now my doc says I have ms and lupus, they have put me on plaquenil 400 mg a day. My blood work shows + ana 1:160 speckled pattern, I have positve anticardiolipin antibodies ( what the heck is that ) 1 second away from the lupus coagulant being positive, spinal tap is negative, ssa is positive. I also have tachyardia, heart rate is 157 beats a min. At rest.

I've also had one doctor to tell me it was all in my head, just stress.

Help !!! I need answers from someone thats going through this too.

Melissa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SNICKERS4347
|

replied November 2nd, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi there and welome!

...Keeping in mind that the lupus anticoagulant and the anticardiolipin are both antiphospholipids antibodies (aps)...Read the following, I think it explains things very well.

Taken from www.Medicinenet.Com

the antiphospholipid syndrome is a disorder of the immune system that is characterized by excessive clotting of blood and/or certain complications of pregnancy (premature miscarriages, unexplained fetal death, or premature birth) and antiphospholipid antibodies (cardiolipin or lupus anticoagulant antibodies). Patients with antiphospholipid syndrome have developed abnormal symptoms while having antiphospholipid antibodies detectable in the blood.

Antiphospholipid syndrome is also called the phospholipid antibody syndrome. Antiphospholipid syndrome has been referred to as hughes syndrome in honor of the doctor who first described it.
It is important to note that antiphospholipid antibodies can also be found in the blood of individuals without any disease process. In fact, antiphospholipid antibodies have been reported in approximately 2 percent of the normal population. Harmless antiphospholipid antibodies can be detected in the blood for a brief period occasionally in association with a wide variety of conditions, including bacterial, viral (hepatitis, hiv), and parasite (malaria) infections. Certain drugs can cause antiphospholipid antibodies to be produced in the blood, including antibiotics, cocaine, hydralazine, procainamide, and quinine.

Nevertheless, the antiphospholipid antibody (a protein) is not considered a normal blood protein and has been found in patients to be associated with a number of illnesses. These illnesses include abnormal clotting (thrombosis) of arteries (stroke, infarction) and/or veins (phlebitis), premature miscarriages (spontaneous abortions), abnormally low blood platelet counts (thrombocytopenia), purplish mottling discoloration of the skin (livedo reticularis), migraine headaches, and a rare form of inflammation of the nervous tissue of the brain or spinal cord, called transverse myelitis. Antiphospholipid antibodies have also been detected in over half of patients with the immune disease systemic lupus erythematosus.

Researchers are recently also finding that there are patients with slowly progressive memory problems and patients with a form of "atypical multiple sclerosis" and antiphospholipid antibodies detectable in their blood.

I hope this helped! Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied August 8th, 2012
ms and lupus
I don't really understand what's going on....my Dr and hospital met with me and asked me to go to the mayo, because"I'm too sick to be treated by them". I have MS and lymphoma, and I went to a new Dr and health system and now they say I have lupus and CKD. They keep telling me I'm not disabled. I can't afford insurance my savings is gone and my job is fed up with my hospital stays every other week. I can't afford chemo. I'm worn out and broke from meds and test that cost $2000. and up
|

replied August 8th, 2012
can one person have this many problems? what about the drug interactions
|

replied October 5th, 2012
MS & Lupus
Hi- I'm new to this forum, but had to share with you that I've had Lupus for over 7 yrs. & was just diagnosed 10 days ago w/ MS. I have many other auto immune conditions: auto immune Encephalomyelitis (rare brain disease that's a demyelining condition), Sjogrens, Reynauds, Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I also have Fibromyalgia, Hemiplegic Migraines, & had a stroke in 2008. So, to answer your question of can one person have so many problems - I'm sorry to tell you from experience, yes. And even though I knew that I had the MS, hearing the words from the Dr.'s mouth out loud has me pretty shaken & I'm still adjusting to the relief of knowing what's going on & the OK, now what do I do from here feeling. I would highly recommend you get Dr's who will document properly for you & correctly that you ARE disabled - because you are. And get a good SS Dissability attorney (you pay nothing unless they get you diss.) to help you. Best of luck.
|

replied November 3rd, 2003
Experienced User
Lupus And Ms?
Hi all, I was watching montel williams the other day and someone said they knew of a person who had both. I was confussed, I didn't know you could have both lupus and ms?

Sharon Smile
|

replied August 18th, 2011
I have both and Chrones thrown in the mix
email me if you want
|

replied November 29th, 2003
Hello,
i was first dxd with ms. Then sle lupus, fibromyalgia, tmj, sjogrens. Later the ms was changed to possible ms (at that point who cares Shocked ) because I was dxd with hughes (aniphospholid blood disorder). Hughes has many of the same symptoms as ms. They are all autoimmune disorders. When your immune system starts to go crazy it is very common for you to develope more autoimmune disorders. Sle that affects the central nervous system causes you to have many of the same symptoms as ms. It does not hurt to get several opinions from other drs before you start the injection treatments for ms. Educate yourself and make sure you ask a lot of questions. I like to test my drs knowledge Cool ! You need to educate yourself in order to partcipate in your treatment. Let me know how you do Smile ! Daisy3 Wink
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
I was diagnosed with M.S.last year.Brain mri And cervical spine both show demielinating.Now after having problems with toes was diagnosed with Raynaud and after more bloodwork (ana and some others they say i'm positive for lupus?i don't know what to think right now!
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
i have lupus and ms
I have ms and lupus and i'm 32 yrs old and declining fast!!!!
i need help!!! and fast please.
my 14 yr daughter was tested for lupus and it's postive.

please help

|

replied January 12th, 2010
Hi, I have been sick for years, had every test there was taken. It was after my stroke that I was diagnosed with MS and now they say I also have lupus, sjrons, R.A.and possibly infection of the blood vessels. I am losing my eye sight and I am constantly falling, it is as if I am living someone else's life because I can't remember mine.

witcher
|

replied February 5th, 2010
Hi. I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with SLE, Fibromyalgia and Hughes Syndrome. My doctors are now testing me for MS also. I had been tested for SLE for the past 7 years (among numerous other conditions) and just this past month was diagnosed. I was told years back the MS was ruled out as well as SLE. All the ups and downs aren't easy as I am sure you all are well aware. Thanks for listening. Smile
|

replied February 5th, 2010
I also forgot to mention I have Alopecia Areata and Seizures. thanks
|

replied July 12th, 2010
Lupus and Ms
Hi. I also have both lupus and ms. I was diagnosed with the lupus 6 yrs ago and the ms 2 yrs ago after I had thyroid cancer. I thought I was the only one with both lupus and ms. I also am losing my eyesight. I'm completely blind in my left eye and my right eye isnt all that great. I too went through doctors saying there was nothing wrong with me. I went from nothing wrong with me to my body hates itself! We need to get more awareness out about these diseases so no one else has to be told its all in their head! Melinda
|

replied June 11th, 2011
Amazing MS litterally means Multiple Lesions basically meaning they do not know anything about it. I was treated for CCSVI and it gave me back 10 years of my life and now they are testing me for Lupus because I have no MS symptoms but I do have many Lupus symptoms. Also I am getting tested for Lyme disease as should everyone else with an autoimmune disease that they can't figure out The best testing is at a lab in the US called IGENEX look into it it will cost around 5-700 dollars but worth it to know the truth. Your doctors are not perfect and when they do not know they will treat your human body like a guinea pig. No doctor wants to do any of these tests I am doing it myself GOOD LUCK
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2011
I am diagnosed with UCTD (undifferentiated connective tissue disease)I am also positive with anti-cardiolipin antibody. You really need to see a Hematologist or 2nd opinion Rheumatologist and ask about APS (Anit-Phospholipid Antibody Syndrome) It maybe that you do have MS, but APS is often mis-diagnosed as APS, and APS is treatable with blood thinners. Sometimes it is as simple as a baby aspirin.I am going through my own ordeal with the cardiolipin antibodies I am seeing a Hematologist most Rheums I've heard of treat APS but since i haven't had a clot or a miscarriage yet it's gonna be tough to make a diagnosis.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....