Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Cobra to Individual Coverage And Hipaa

I just finished an 18 month cobra period with a major insurance company. I applied with the same compay for an individual policy, and I was denied coverage because of some medical history from 6-8 months ago.

I searched and saw some articles about the hipaa health insurance portability and accountability act and my rights on converting to an individual plan from a group plan. I am an "eligible individual" for a conversion from what I can see. Is this company in any violation of the hipaa?

I can provide more info such as the insurance company and the reason for denial of coverage if it will help answer my question.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Stdlabman
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 9th, 2005
As a ga resident you should be eligible for a cobra conversion policy. Call the doi in ga and explain your situation. They will determine if you are indeed eligible for a conversion plan and assign you to a carrier.

Depending on your health circumstances, there may be other options. I am a ga agent with 30 years experience and may be able to find other solutions. You can email me if you like. I think contact information may be stored on this site. If not I do receive notifications by email to responses and maybe we can figure out a way for us to get in contact without violating forum rules.

Bob vineyard, clu
atlanta, ga
|
Did you find this post helpful?