Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Is Waist/hip Ratio a Good Measure of Risk For Thin People?

If female and your waist/hip ratio is above .8 you are said to be at increased risk for coronary disease than if you are less than that. I found my tape measure and took my measurements. My waist is 28 inches. My hips are only 34 inches. This puts me at .82, at increased risk for coronary disease. I am 5'5'' and weigh 115 pounds. My arms and legs are virtually fat free and look like tooth picks and my hips are pretty fat free too. Several of my bones stick out.
When I was heavier, my waist was only a little bigger and I had more weight on my hips and was below .8. In fact the heavier I was (i got up to 150 at one time), the lower my waist/hip ratio. Was I really at a lower coronary disease risk when I was overweight than I am now underweight?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 9th, 2005
Experienced User
It's not a good measure of risk, but it's something to consider. 5'5" @ 115lb with a low bf% isn't bad, you don't have anything to worry about.
|

replied March 18th, 2005
Experienced User
I've heard that .8 is just the most asthetically pleasing, nothing to do with health...
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....