Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Post Flu Anxiety And Minor Depression

I had a 101 degree fever for about 5 days (possibly flu) and im cured now. I took ibuprofen (200 mg for about 5 times a day) and hydrocodone syrup (5 ml for about 5 times a day). But in the process I developed a bit of anxiety (and possibly minor depression) on the 4th day and it is continuing even now, 2 days after im cured of the fever.

Is this normal? Have there been cases where after flu patients have developed these symptoms of anxiety and minor depression?

I saw that ibuprofen can have these effects but any expert comments will be helpful. It would also be very helpful if you can recommend some foods/drinks which will help me get through this quicker.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dfbarnes
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
I had a flu which lasted 3 days then some lingering effects of it lasted over 4 months and still going - dr's say it's anxiety. How does your body feel? I am totally functional but just a little off, almost like a mild flu, but with no temperature
|

replied March 12th, 2009
post flur anxiety
I had an upper respitory flu for 4 weeks. Now 2 weeks later I am having MAJOR anxiety attacks, one trip to ER, BP elevated, Dr. doubled my does of Ternormin and added buspar. Very little sleep for 4 nights now. I know about 2 other peole going thru the same thing.
|

replied April 9th, 2009
post flu anxiety better
it has been 2 months gone by. The buspar was a total failure! Made me sicker. I am now occasionally using 1/4 Valium or having a glas of wine or a mug of chamomille tea. I am getting better as time passes and I still belive it had something to do with the flu. Also doesn't help I am working major overtime.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
flu and depression
This is why I love the internet. I just had a mild mild flu virus. Doctor guesses it's most likely h1n1. The cough and cold are gone, and the little low-grade fever that I had is long gone, but I'm left with feeling of depression that is distinctly different and deeper than any depression I've ever experienced before. I still score low on depression inventories because I can't answer yes to questions like "Do you feel worthless? Do you feel like there's no hope for the future, etc." I feel fine about myself and about my future, but I feel disconnected and listless and like the normal stuff I do just seems not worth doing. It's like I'm in a fog of some sort and I can't come out. If I wasn't forcing myself to get moving I'd probably just sit on the couch all day. It's freaking me out to the point that I was feeling anxiety about it last night.

But I feel better just knowing that others are having the same reaction. I'm hoping as the virus does it's final clearing out of my system my normal mood will return. Meanwhile, I've scheduled a busy day for myself---I figure if I'm going to be miserable anyway, I might as well get some of the things that make me miserable done (pay bills, clean bathrooms, etc. )

So, if you are coming out of the flu, especially this new h1n1, with depression---keep the posts going so doctors know and so others can get a lift.
|

replied September 5th, 2009
Flu and depression
My latest experience: I have been depressed for some time now, but lately not that bad anymore. When the flu/cold symptoms started a week ago (like the previous poster: cough and cold symptoms, low-fever for 5 days), I suddenly felt very peaceful and undepressed. While my body was very ill, my mind was completely at rest, healthy. I was even making plans and thinking positive things for when I would be better. However, the moment my flu symptoms lifted to the point that I would be considered healthy again, my depressive fog descended on me again and left me unable to get on with things. I feel more ill than with the flu! As a result my anxiety went through the roof and sleeping and eating are once again difficult. Could it all be psychologically induced? Or does fighting a virus momentarily relieves one from depression? I am puzzled. And this is not the first time. Every cold seems to give me temporary relief from depression. Anybody else experienced this?
|

replied October 4th, 2009
Kevrgn,

I have a bad cold (maybe flu) at the moment, and I completely know what you're talking about. I almost don't want it to go away. After a bad experience about two years ago, I have had depression and withdraw from people am much less happy, funny and talkative. Within the past two days I've been reconnecting with my friends and family, and am much more talkative and into planning for the future than I can normally be. I was hypothesizing that it could have to do with the immune system, blood flow and neurotransmitter regulation, or it could have to do with getting tons of sleep, eating as well as possible and being attentionally distracted from anything except the basics (making food, sleeping, getting connected to people). Maybe it's psychological, but I felt this way the last time I was sick too. Last time, the relief went away maybe a day after symptoms.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
I've had the flu/cold for about two days and the depression I'm experiencing is enough to make me cry as I write this. There has to be some serious relationship if all of us have experienced this at one level or another.
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
lizas and Kevrgn,

You are not alone in feeling psychologically 'fitter' when you have an immune-reaction/fever/cold/flu.
You might not want to hear this, but if you Google 'fever' and 'autism', you'll see a Kennedy Kruger Institute study (3rd December, 2007) that formalised what a great many parents of children with Autism spectrum disorders have been observing for decades : -
Namely, that their withdrawn, unsociable, anxious, irritable children's autistic symptoms disappear/dramatically improve when they have a cold/flu/fever.

Two leading researchers have since postulated that the effect is attributable to dysregulation in a part of the brain called the locus coeruleus.

I've been experiencing since I was in my late teens and have concluded that I'm mildly Aspergic (Asperger's is itself a mild form of Autism).

You may find that you fit the Aspergic profile to some degree - which may in itself, prove mildly cathartic for you.

Whenever I get a cold/fever, my social life improves quite dramatically - and as you describe, I become a more relaxed, company-seeking individual ... which is to trivialise it, really.
Because it's actually a majorly life-enhancing thing and when it disappears, it truly underscores the reality of my accustomed inner life.
I'd happily trade all the unpleasant physical effects for my mild Asperger's.

My heart used to leap whenever I felt a cold coming on, but these days it's tempered by the anticipation of the 'mourning' for the passing of the 'liberated me' once it's gone.

Regards

Nick
|

replied February 1st, 2013
Anxiety it freaks me out
Yea I have the flu now and I experienced a massive anxiety attack last night something was telling me something was wrong I'm not sure whats happening and I just started feeling it again
|

replied February 10th, 2013
I know exactly what you mean, about a week ago i started to get a bad cold. lot's of coughing for 2-3 days then turned into a flu type feeling, sore, tired, and very congested. just until about 2 days ago i began to feel better, but all of a sudden this deep anxiety and depression came out of nowhere. i hope it goes away soon, because it sucks Sad
|

replied March 6th, 2013
I love you guys for sharing your experiences here. Just had flu and last night started insomnia, depression, crying, several nightmares starting as soon as I eventually fell asleep and causing me to wake up immediately after. Maybe I have a degree of Asperger, interesting.
|

replied February 27th, 2016
I'm not sure how old this thread is but imagine my relief when I realized that this is exactly what recently happened to me and I am not going crazy. I hadn't been sick with the flu for atleast 5 years so, when it hit me hard last month, it really caught me off guard and put me on bedrest for 2 weeks. After the first week, I started waking up in the middle of the night with these horrible dark moods combined with panic. It felt as though someone turned all of the negative emotions in my brain on high: anger, sadness, fear, and paranoia. This episode lasted an hour until my emergency xanax put me back to sleep. This was followed by sporadic episodes of the same thing over the course of the next 3 weeks. I nearly went to the ER twice. Because I take an antidepressant SSRI, I assumed that this was some kind of malfunction of that medication. And the online forums dealing with these meds and there sometimes horrible side effects paint a very grim and confusing picture for hypochondriacs like myself to worry over. I assumed I was having SSRI poopout and that this would begin several months of tapering off of my meds and continuing to feel horrible. However, when I saw my PCP and told him what was going on, he was skeptical and had a hunch that my turmoil was physical and from the sound of my lungs, I wasn't quite over the flu and it's additional gift of bronchitis yet. He prescribed an inhaler which helped the bronchitis immediately. A couple days later I had a couple more of these unfortunate mood swings. But then the following week, just as I started to feel normal again, the episodes stopped. Because I had assumed this phenomenon was related to my SSRI, I never simply looked up "depression after the flu" which quickly revealed alot of people are experiencing things like this as a symptom of the flu viris. I feel so much better knowing this is probably what I experienced as well so thank all of you for posting your experiences.
|

replied April 3rd, 2016
I had the flu for the first time in 5 years and it knocked me out too. I was in bed for a week and the worst of it lasted 3 days. I've since recovered with a bit of the bronchitis still present. My problem is the horrible depression. I'm on an SSRI for mild depression already, but now I have zero motivation to do anything, no interest in anything and I'm totally content staying in bed. I'm usually a multi-tasking super mom... This is very unlike me. I also have the queasy/nauteous feeling that won't go away. I have tried so many remedies... I'm starting to think I'm just going to have to wait this out.
|

replied May 4th, 2016
I could have written everything you have said. Flu (and strep) followed by nasty depression and anxiety. Also on ssri, also worried it was failing. So me question to those a little further ahead of me.... When does it get better? I'm limping along, exercising, resting, trying to mend my health but the depression is really tough. Hoping it gradually improved or you have tips on what to do. Thank you!!!
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....