I have a friend who's just recently moved to my area. We've become fast friends and care for each other tremendously. He's recently shared that he was diagnosed with bipolarism a few years ago. The stories he shares are emotional and sometimes frightening. I was just curious if anyone could give me a list of symptoms, and things to do to help myself understand his condition. I hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks so very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Doctor
Bipolar disorder is severe psychotic disorder which includes episodes of depression and episodes of mania (or hypomania). Between psychotic episodes there are usually periods with normal mood. Sometimes there may be no normal periods at all but manic and depressive episodes rapidly alternate. In other cases there are mixed episodes in which symptoms of both mania and depression are present.
Signs and symptoms of the depressive phase of bipolar disorder include: persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety, guilt, anger, isolation and/or hopelessness, disturbances in sleep and appetite, fatigue and loss of interest in usually enjoyed activities, problems concentrating, loneliness, self-loathing, apathy or indifference, depersonalization, loss of interest in sexual activity, shyness or social anxiety, irritability, chronic pain (with or without a known cause), lack of motivation, and morbid/suicidal ideation. In severe cases, the individual may become psychotic, a condition also known as severe bipolar depression with psychotic features.
Mania is generally characterized by a distinct period of an elevated, expansive, or irritable mood state. People commonly experience an increase in energy and a decreased need for sleep. A person's speech may be pressured, with thoughts experienced as racing. Attention span is low and a person in a manic state may be easily distracted. Judgment may become impaired; sufferers may go on spending sprees or engage in behavior that is quite abnormal for them. They may indulge in substance abuse, particularly alcohol or other depressants, cocaine or other stimulants, or sleeping pills. Their behavior may become aggressive or intrusive. People may feel they have been "chosen", are "on a special mission", or other grandiose or delusional ideas. Sexual drive may increase. At more extreme phases, a person in a manic state can begin to experience psychosis, or a break with reality, where thinking is affected along with mood. Many people in a manic state experience severe anxiety and are very irritable (to the point of rage), while others are euphoric and grandiose. Hypomania is less severe variant of mania.
How is your friend now?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Is bipolarism and sex addiction related at all?
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...