Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

My Anxiety Was Cured... (Page 1)

Ok,
this may be a long read, but please endure... It may help you - it cured me.

I am now 26 years old - I have had varying degrees of anxiety for approx. 8 years. I have had:

chest pains (or chest feelings - indescribable but very worrying feelings - pressure on my chest?)
dizziness
dissorientation
back pain
sleeplessness
panic attacks where my heart felt like it skipped a few beats and I was surely going to pass out (and die)
nightmares
unexplained tingling sensations in my fingers and toes

these symptoms, especially the chest pains were heightened to an unbearable level about 3 years ago - due to percieved stress. At that point I was sure I was going to die - I ended up feeling so helpless I gave in - I surrendered mentally and stopped fighting - the feelings eased slighltly.

About 6 months ago, I was in the same situation again - I ended up in the emergency ward of the local hospital, getting an ecg to check my heart - I was again sure I was going to die - after all, with these chest pains there had to be something horribly wrong with me.

I now feel better then I have in a long, long time. After researching anxiety and related conditions for a while, I found something that worked for me, it may work for you too,

water! I drink 2-3 litres of water a day. I can't explain it, but dehydration has huge detrimental effects on the body. Obviously, drinking water instead of anything else also cuts down refined sugar intake a lot - especially if you are used to having 1-2 softdrinks (sodas) in a day.
Water (and lots of it) is almost a cure in itself for anxiety/depression and a whole host of other conditions.

What also helped me was getting my thoughts back on track and positive rather then negative (it's amazing what you're thinking when you think you aren't thinking). This is what counselling is all about - cognitive behaviour therapy. You probably don't need a counsellor though... Once you can identify the negative thoughts that are in racing around in your mind and change them (doesn't take that much practice), the positive thoughts help greatly. I worked my way through a cbt course online (free, set up by an education department) and it helped as well. You can find it here: http://moodgym.Anu.Edu.Au/

i cannot emphasise enough how much just drinking water rather then anything else has changed my life, and i'm glad I didn't go for the drugs my doctor was considering - it only took a week or so before I started feeling a lot better.

If you suffer from anxiety/panic attacks, please try this - it doesn't cost anything - you'll feel healthier, and if you have the same response as me - anxiety will have been a gift - your body was just trying to tell you that you needed water (the 2nd most important ingredient to life besides oxygen).

Good luck, I hope this helps. I just wanted to share what worked for me, and I hope it works for others....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper liberation101
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Symptoms
Wow. It just hit me. I have all those symptoms. My friends constantly give me crap about how I am a hyper-something=meaning I always feel like I am sick. Like meaning it's all in my head. I am always stressed as money and my husband haveing ms, me out of work because of my knee injury at work and workers comp. Denied my claim. Horrible back pain, sleepness. I have an mri tom. In my back. Man. What can I get for this. I drink water all the time. My husband and I have been into that for 4 yrs now. So what is wrong with me? Please help.
|

replied February 11th, 2005
I seriously hope this helps me because i've experienced the exact same symptoms. Wow.

And thank you.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
Anxiety
You know after reading this post it helped me recognize and wake up. Its like I've been in my own little world thinking I might die. I went to the hospital mutiple times, for my body going so numb that I couldn't feel my heart beat. They told me it was anxiety, and I have been in bed since, scared to get up, thinking that I'm just having a nervous break down. But I finally got up and said "I can't continue to do this", I'm still seeking help but reading this made me feel that I'm not alone.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
You're not alone.
I know what you're saying about the water. watercure.com will tell you this too.I found that I had to research all of this myself when I was sick. I have an herbalist that helps also because the doctor that I was seeing sent me to many other doctors for my conditions and none of told me what was wrong. the sicker I got the more the panic attacks came. I found that when the body is so depleated nutrionally all of these things come. people are tired of hearing it but cut out all junk food, sugar, coffee, sodas, and get vitamins. calcium soothes the nerves and it made a big difference. it comes with magnesium.
go for 1000 mg of calcium and 500 of mag.
50 mg of B complex( all the b vit together )
and 1000mg of Vitamin c a day. the stronger you can get your self the moree this fades. it took me many months to find this out but it helped
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Thank you so much!
I seriously hope that this helps me. It seems too simple to be true. I will try it. I've never dealt with anxiety, but I have had depression problems. Just last March, I experienced my first anxiety/panic attack and ever since I have not been the same. Sadness and anxiety is what I have to deal with everyday. You have no idea how happy I am that I'm not alone. This whole time I've been feeling as if no one understands what I'm going through. Reading this article has given me hope. Thank you!
|

replied July 21st, 2011
This post is amazing! You have no idea how much this has lighted up my day! I always kept thinking there was something up with my heart or I had cancer or something because I get really bad tingles in my hands and toes and chest pains! I am so glad someone else has experienced this (well I'm not glad but It has given me an ease of mind, My heart goes out to anyone else suffering this!)I will defonetly try that! I used to drink allot of fizzy drinks etc... I'm also getting to the gym everyday to try lose some weight and boost confidence and my overall quality of life! I have suffered from Generalised Anxiety Disorder for about a year now, non stop, it's awful! I hate it! I learn to deal with it then I al of a sudden get a new symptom and that sends me into a panic then I find it difficult to recover and get back into a relaxed state again. Thank you once again and I hope we can all get over Anxiety! Very Happy Wish me luck... Very Happy
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Tips
Water is essential, but you need more than that bud. You have to figure out what works for you, but for me there were 2 important things.

The first is rational thinking/reflecting. Take out 20-30 minutes just observing your thoughts and putting them into words with clarity. This helps you organize your thoughts and then you can easily identify negative thoughts when you put them into words.

The second is just spending time with your emotions. Have no expectations, just sit down somewhere and feel whatever it is you are feeling. Stay with that feeling and go deeper into it, accept it for what it is. Anxiety is an emotion, and if you want to control your emotions, you must be in touch with them. Do this throughout the day and you will get better and better at it.

Again, release expectations. As soon as you try to seek out or control a certain outcome, things won't work out for you. Just have fun while you do this. Have fun organizing your mental clutter, have fun being aware of your emotions.
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Wow that is amazing! I would have never guessed water would have that kind of impact! I have recently bought my own treadmill, because of the anxiety the gym gave me, and have found my symptoms decreased when I workout regularly on the treadmill. I think it is such a stress reliever for me. I would also recommend that to anyone in this situation. I bought my treadmill for really cheap if anyone is in need. Although I still have the occasional attack, they have decreased dramatically. I will have to give this water thing a try as well. Thanks for sharing this!
|

replied November 28th, 2011
anexiety
Have you tried Aloe Vera Gel and Aloe Royal Jelly, it worked for my daughter.
|

replied January 11th, 2012
anxiety
Hello Guys One of the victim of anxiety and want to give you some good tips.I have been on anxiety from 3 years now but i do have a control on that. You must have drink lot of water it right but if do this exercise take long breath in and count 7 than exhale count 10 try to push the air our maximum u can this one of my doctor told me to do.If your really feeling bad that u cant even help your self like i was 3 years before doctor gave me inderal dor palpitation and cipralex 10mg or there are many like this.But we should not relay only on medicine beco medicines will not cure anxiety .I have stopped my medicine and taking some goof vitamins .I have hired about Aloe vera Gel i m trying than thing i will let you all know what was the result.but do feel its good for digestion .All you need to do some running take good intake water is must for our body.And yes try to seleep on time and get up early on time if you sleep more also you will find more anxiety thats my personal experience ....I wish you best of luck with your anxiety and you are not alone and nothing to worry just relax.if u need any help
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Anxiety much better after taking this advice.
OMG, I cant tell you how quickly a glass of water helped my anxiety and knowing that I'm not alone tackling this helps as well. I'm not going insane. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY. Feeling really good now. Amorphous you're amazing. Thank you.
|

replied August 25th, 2012
I have suffered with anxiety for almost 6 years now and it comes to a point where like the other night i sit and cry because i have tried allsorts of things. my doctor just wants to put me on anti depressants and the last time i went he said that i shouldnt have anxiety anymore but he doesn't realise he hasn't helped me yet i must admit i have gotten this far on my own where yes i am still anxious but not as much but its took me 6 years but i am definatly going to give the water a shot i think it cant hurt at the end of the day i just hope it works cus am beginning to lose the will to live Sad i am supposed to be going to egypt next year 2013 and im still not sure i can do it with this anxiety so if anyone has anymore tips please let me know. the thing with the thoughts its easier said than done my anxiety is worse when i am out like walking my dog or out with my partner, i reckon its my subconcious thinking things cus am deffo not thinking bad things subconcious has alot to do with it but i think we all need to re-train our minds somehow? You see the problem with me is everytime i go out i go dizzy and thats what bothers me the most any ideas? im gonna go and get some water and then take the dog for a walk wish me luck and thank you
|

replied August 25th, 2012
I have suffered with anxiety for almost 6 years now and it comes to a point where like the other night i sit and cry because i have tried allsorts of things. my doctor just wants to put me on anti depressants and the last time i went he said that i shouldnt have anxiety anymore but he doesn't realise he hasn't helped me yet i must admit i have gotten this far on my own where yes i am still anxious but not as much but its took me 6 years but i am definatly going to give the water a shot i think it cant hurt at the end of the day i just hope it works cus am beginning to lose the will to live Sad i am supposed to be going to egypt next year 2013 and im still not sure i can do it with this anxiety so if anyone has anymore tips please let me know. the thing with the thoughts its easier said than done my anxiety is worse when i am out like walking my dog or out with my partner, i reckon its my subconcious thinking things cus am deffo not thinking bad things subconcious has alot to do with it but i think we all need to re-train our minds somehow? You see the problem with me is everytime i go out i go dizzy and thats what bothers me the most any ideas? im gonna go and get some water and then take the dog for a walk wish me luck and thank you
|

replied September 19th, 2012
wow Lots of water made a HUGE diffrence ,please friends try the water trick it worked for me Smile
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Water
Yes hydration is such an important factor after all we are mainly made of water. Alot of what happens in our body requires adequate water for the elcetrical and chemical reactions to occur. We are electromagnetic by nature.
I also feel that more may be needed in certain circumstances though.
|

replied October 21st, 2012
ehealth forum
Water just saved my life! Two months now i have been dehydrated and felt panic attacks and thought i was going to die. I thought suicide was the best option for me. Right after i read this i chugged a bottle of water and my negative thoughts dispersed and i calmed down almost immediately. This whole time it was dehydration and i thought i was going insane. I scheduled very expensive therapy and psychological meetings! You my friend have just saved my life
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Cured of Anxiety
Hi, the best thing that I found to cure my anxiety was Buteyko breathing exercises. 100 % of anxiety sufferers hyperventilate. It was amazing as soon as I got my breathing back on track I felt more confident, happier and had more energy. Magnesium supplements are also believed to help. It wont do any harm to research this. I really hope this helps people so they don't suffer for yrs in silence like I did!
|

replied November 9th, 2012
really water worked? I used to be a tea jenny but read to cut out the likes of tea/coffee..so i did. Always drink water now....however not near 2/3 Litres..more than 2 or 3 medium sized glasses. I will definately be drinking more water! The last few nights i have had pains under my left breast and chest pains and weird feelings in my head that i cannot even describe..really worrying me but im trying to not be negative as i know its probably just stress!!
|

replied November 9th, 2012
I've read all this forum in awe. I too researched how to beat panic and anxiety, what worked for me was the thought behaviour. I kept a diary of each panic attack as it happened to me i.e., now I can't breath (15 minutes) Tingly hands (ten minutes) dizzy ( fifty minutes) Gasping ( 27 minutes) An attack usually took an hour to subside but when one came on I reached for my diary, reassuring myself as I watched the clock that it would subside soon, that had me reassuring myself, it helped to calm me and stop the panic, this was only a panic attack, my body's way of saying slow down. Then I read something which made me laugh. It said that when you panic you hear a voice in your head saying "oh no I'm having a panic attack", over and over and because you have self belief it goes on from there. The book advised that you should imagine someone who makes you laugh say it, I chose Donald duck and imagined him saying "oh my god I'm having a panic attack" I kept repeating it in my imagination for nearly half an hour at a time, bizzare but the next time I started with one, instead of my own voice it was Donald's I heard, which made me laugh raising the serotin levels in the brain, stopping the panic in it's tracks. Good luck folks
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...